Prepping - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepping

This is a discussion on Prepping within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Since my wife's passing I am adjusting my needs and security. I no longer have a second set of eyes or her knowledge in first ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Prepping

Since my wife's passing I am adjusting my needs and security. I no longer have a second set of eyes or her knowledge in first aid. I am thinking through my first aid situation. My security is what it is. It's me. I am putting more storage in place, rice, beans, etc. and rethinking my security options as it pertains to my house and it's perimeter. I have a lot of things banging around in my head. Alaska keeps coming to mind.

Anyways, make no mistake guys and gals, it's going to get worse. Our worst fears are now at our doorstep. Where to go from here? Food, water, Self Protection, Ammo, if you can find it, lock and load.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    We’re stocked up. My wife brought up the kids and grandkids should things go south. I said they can come here but they have to contribute. Chores, garden, animals. Just like the old days. If not, they they cannot come.

We are up on canning material but haven’t yet. We are planning a fairly large garden this winter/spring and we bought more acreage.

I will probably buy a cow as well or discuss with the rancher down the street. He has a good sized herd.

I’m going do a bit in the stock market but also buy some junk silver (any recommendations?). The only junk silver I have now is from my parents that they started to collect in the 40’s.

We’re good on security. Looking at a ruger ranch to round out my collection that can utilize my stock of 7.62x39 ammo.

Getting wife trained up too. Camera’s all around and the dogs are my first line. I think the chihuahuas would chew anyone up.

I may start approaching the neighbors. It’s country and we leave each other alone but there is a trump sign at almost every house.

I’ll also start stocking up essentials in case of supply chain failure.

Oh and booze...
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Three things I'm currently working on:

1) I need to find a rototiller/cultivator to stash in the shed. If I ever need to till up my suburban backyard lawn to plant a garden, I don't want to do it by hand.

2) Improve my rain water collection plan. (not sure how yet) I live in a dry climate but we get a useful amount of rain if I can find a better way to store it.

3) Build a solar oven. A good one, not the flaky POS's you see on the internet. All the firewood around here (like all the game animals) will be picked clean in a few weeks.
    Piratesailor likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    ...Wood is going to be in short supply everywhere here!
    For sure. There will also be chain saw accidents and tree-felling disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Might try and procure some seeds tomorrow. Start garden early indoors this year.
    Otherwise, we're good.
    The seed companies are mailing out catalogs so I assume there are plenty of seeds available. I over bought last fall. Seriously, I could supply the whole neighborhood. But I may buy more this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    putting grow lights and a small heater in the greenhouse tomorrow. then starting some seeds...
    splitting some more wood too - lots of rain & wind here in the wet PNW...
    Plenty of trees down in the back woods, but they'll keep for now.

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Do you have anything in your greenhouse to act as thermal mass? I have a plastic greenhouse that came as a kit, but if I were to do it again, I'd build from scratch and make the lower third of the walls from concrete block, probably painted black.
    Michael_Js and Liberty Lady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NMPRN View Post
    Three things I'm currently working on:

1) I need to find a rototiller/cultivator to stash in the shed. If I ever need to till up my suburban backyard lawn to plant a garden, I don't want to do it by hand.

2) Improve my rain water collection plan. (not sure how yet) I live in a dry climate but we get a useful amount of rain if I can find a better way to store it.

3) Build a solar oven. A good one, not the flaky POS's you see on the internet. All the firewood around here (like all the game animals) will be picked clean in a few weeks.
    Our remote location home is also in a dry area and lack of firewood is one of my biggest concerns. I also worry about water. Yes, it overlooks a lake, but hauling up enough water for the garden would be a back breaking chore.
    inceptor and Liberty Lady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    ...hauling up enough water for the garden would be a back breaking chore.
    Solar powered pumps?
    Liberty Lady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NMPRN View Post
    Solar powered pumps?
    There's at least a 200 foot gain in altitude from the "full pool" level of the lake to our garden. Could be more or less depending on the actual circumstances, like, time of year or whether or not anyone is operating the dam. So I'd guess it would take multiple pumps, possibly with an intermediate cistern. Not something that could be set up beforehand to test it out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Do you have anything in your greenhouse to act as thermal mass? I have a plastic greenhouse that came as a kit, but if I were to do it again, I'd build from scratch and make the lower third of the walls from concrete block, probably painted black.
    I hear ya bout doing it from scratch, and I wish I had done that. So, I have 2 55 gal water barrels in there for the heat absorption. On the entire north wall, I put in reflective 1/2" thermal foam boards to block cold coming in and to reflect the southern light - when there is any. During a sunny day, it still gets to about 80+ degrees in there, however, without the sun (typical PNW as you know) it's about 5 degrees warmer than outside. Concrete blocks would be easy to do and not that expensive. Maybe another project this year...

We'll see how this goes...I want to make better use from the greenhouse investment that we have over the past 2 years...

Peace,
    Michael J.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links