"personals" for prepper groups and other musings
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on "personals" for prepper groups and other musings within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; yes... bait title.... anyways, I was searching for something else and google in all it's wiseness started posting ads in middle of my search results. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "personals" for prepper groups and other musings

yes... bait title.... anyways, I was searching for something else and google in all it's wiseness started posting ads in middle of my search results. One of the ads was for a page that allowed folks to search for prepper groups in their area. I will admit that the curiousity got the best of me and I checked it out. It had posts from time to time from folks stating that they are located in such and such area (it was divided by states) and they are looking to add someone to their group (and specialties such as doctor or a nurse were listed). Other posts were along the lines: I want to find a group of folks to invest into bugout property together. Scary thought..... I could almost see someone connecting with groups as a mole.....

This got me thinking and reflecting on a topic we had here a while back where someone broached a topic of making connections with like minded individuals because it's easier to survive as a group. The direction my thoughts went though was almost 180 from what I thought about before - almost to the point of "I don't want anyone joining me". Why? Well, definitely not from a "personal's" ad. I don't want folks knowing what I have, where I have it and having to share with the grossly unprepared - there is a question and balance of value that folks will add to the group and the cost that is associated with adding folks to the group. This got me thinking about it even more - if you have a group of folks to what degree you "verify" that everyone is prepping to an appropriate degree? Nothing worse then ending up with a smooth talking free loader. Lastly, I thought about a buddy of mine. He lives about an hour and a half away across densely populated area so in a SHTF scenario, the likelyhood of us connecting is not as high but I also realized I probably wouldn't want to join forces with him. Now don't take me wrong: he's a good guy, well armed, re-loader, mechanically inclined, has some suplies BUT he's rash. I have been on wheeling trips with him and he has never exhibited good decision making traits - his solution to everything is to power through every time. Never stops to think and examine choices. Now some of you will say - that is a good trait, I will disagree - there are times where you power through and there are times that you go around. With his energy and tendency to being rash, he often attempts to take charge of situations when he should not which could lead to disastrous results. The doers don't always make the best leaders, the best best decision makers are not always capable of getting their point across and so on....

And that takes me to the last thought - chain of command - folks "band" together and who's the boss? elections? The guy that started it? The guy that leads a coup? And what do you end up with later - folks leaving the group when they disagree? Resulting in folks splintering off while having the knowledge of the inner workings of another organization?

Call it ramblings resulting from the Pfizer shot or whatnot.... but anyways, the topics did come to my mind.

"personals" for prepper groups and other musings-outhouse_gophers.png
    stevekozak likes this.

Super Moderator

Aw man... I thought this was gonna be another "here's my grand design for a prepper community, crap buckets, peasant quarters, layered shipping container housing, and all!"

Your points are sound.
    You don't build a community by soliciting to strangers. You build a community by acting like a community. Reach out to neighbors. Help each other. Learn each other's strengths and weaknesses, and build relationships that are strong enough to withstand disagreements.

As far as leadership goes, I lean toward the biblical structures. The father is the head of the household, but that means nothing to a group larger than his household. A group of wise and well-known men should be chosen by the community to confer with one another and decide the path of the group. Prayerful consideration and trust is needed when choosing and following these men. Depending on the size, this could be a group of 3, or it could be a group of 11 (odd numbers to avoid deadlocks). It should never be one person.

Communities have to grow organically. You can't force it.
    Slippy and inceptor like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Your points are sound.
    You don't build a community by soliciting to strangers. You build a community by acting like a community. Reach out to neighbors. Help each other. Learn each other's strengths and weaknesses, and build relationships that are strong enough to withstand disagreements.
    Yup - and I think this is kind of what's happening now. It's almost like the run on toilet paper - crap happens (pun intended) and folks go crazy. Folks that never planned start planning. Those who were slacking in their planning (like myself) start dedicating time to it again and they are reading their list then checking it twice.

As far as leadership goes, I lean toward the biblical structures. The father is the head of the household, but that means nothing to a group larger than his household. A group of wise and well-known men should be chosen by the community to confer with one another and decide the path of the group. Prayerful consideration and trust is needed when choosing and following these men. Depending on the size, this could be a group of 3, or it could be a group of 11 (odd numbers to avoid deadlocks). It should never be one person.

Communities have to grow organically. You can't force it.
    Interesting point about having a group as leadership. It definitely would add authority to decisions that are made but on the other hand there would also need to be rules under which emergency decisions could be made solo... damn.... one would need to write a constitution and such....

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wedrownik View Post
    Interesting point about having a group as leadership. It definitely would add authority to decisions that are made but on the other hand there would also need to be rules under which emergency decisions could be made solo... damn.... one would need to write a constitution and such....
    As 2020 taught us, terrible things happen under the guise of "emergency" powers.
    A steady hand and majority consent are just as important during times of crisis as they are during times of serenity.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    As 2020 taught us, terrible things happen under the guise of "emergency" powers.
    A steady hand and majority consent are just as important during times of crisis as they are during times of serenity.
    That is true - it's complicated no matter how you slice it because if life has taught us anything, committee sometimes reacts to slow when swift decisions need to be made and the committee members are unavailable....

Well, I don't have much of a problem with 'the group' I circulate with. We were young turks +40 years ago, now we're lucky if we can remember the correct telephone numbers.

As for learning about "life," I must comment that we have to watch the newspapers, the current jargon and new candidates if we want to be the observant citizen we used to be. For example, my wife and I watch TV at night, including the news. Without fail, a new local candidate has thrown his hat into the ring, I never heard of him, yet he has been a congressman for over ten years...
    Wedrownik likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Well, I don't have much of a problem with 'the group' I circulate with. We were young turks +40 years ago, now we're lucky if we can remember the correct telephone numbers.

As for learning about "life," I must comment that we have to watch the newspapers, the current jargon and new candidates if we want to be the observant citizen we used to be. For example, my wife and I watch TV at night, including the news. Without fail, a new local candidate has thrown his hat into the ring, I never heard of him, yet he has been a congressman for over ten years...
    Sadly not everyone has the benefit of being able to be in close proximity with folks that they know forever and can trust implicitly.

be nice to hook my brother up with a prepper of the female variety in Iowa..... any chance we can get this done today??? anyone??
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Lol! Exactly!

We don't really have a "group" we have a "network of individuals". Each individual is responsible for himself and his family. But it's nice to be in communications with people you can count on if needed.

>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    be nice to hook my brother up with a prepper of the female variety in Iowa..... any chance we can get this done today??? anyone??
    My sister is looking for a nice man to settle down with...
    "personals" for prepper groups and other musings-redneck_beauty_queen.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links