Bad Mylar bags
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bad Mylar bags

This is a discussion on Bad Mylar bags within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; When I store my dry foods in aluminized Mylar bags, I always leave them out for inspection. I always check the bags after about 3 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By paraquack
  • 1 Post By paraquack

Thread: Bad Mylar bags

Bad Mylar bags

When I store my dry foods in aluminized Mylar bags, I always leave them out for inspection. I always
    check the bags after about 3 days and again at 2 weeks to make sure they've shrunk down tightly as
    the oxygen is absorbed. I also do a 6 month check and a two year check and lastly a check every 5
    years after that. I've always been a worry wart, but my failures have been very minimal.

So recently, from 2 different vendors on 2 different size bags (1 quart and 1 gallon), I've had way too
    many failures, leaks or what ever you want to call it. On my last processing of Tang in quart bags, I
    had 2 failures. After repaacking them, they seem ok after 2 weeks. On my last powdered milk, I've
    had 2 failures and then a failure on the reprocessing of 1 bag (gallons). I even tossed in extra oxygen
    absorbers, just in case, on the powdered milk. This is a different brand of no fat powdered milk, than
    I normally purchase. With one repack ok and one repack going bad, I just don't know what to think!

Anyone else had similar problems. This is a first for me. In the previous 14 years, I've only had 1
    Mylar bag failure and it showed up with in the 3 day inspection. And yes, my oxygen absorbers are
    good.
    RedLion and charito like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I have never had a failure, but I have only ever bought from one place.

https://www.discountmylarbags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    I have never had a failure, but I have only ever bought from one place.

https://www.discountmylarbags.com/
    They are cheap too.. I was about the pull the trigger on bags from them, BUT read their website that was update notice upon notice of major shipping delays and backorders. It didn't look good. I then tried to call their number, and got voicemail, but the box was full...? So I went with USAEmergency, which was pricier, but the bags are thicker mil AND the staff answered 3 brief phone calls to get clarifications and facilitate an add-on. Very helpful IMHO. I have yet to see their product, but they confirmed over the phone they were shipping out stuff same-day.

I'd like to hear from the OP exactly what happened with the "failure"? Split seam? Torn mylar in the middle of the bag (punctured by product inside)? And what was the mil of the product used?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've never had a failure. What mil bags are you using? Have you examined for pin-holes? Is it possible you are not getting a good seal? What method are you using to seal the bags?

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    When I store my dry foods in aluminized Mylar bags, I always leave them out for inspection. I always
    check the bags after about 3 days and again at 2 weeks to make sure they've shrunk down tightly as
    the oxygen is absorbed. I also do a 6 month check and a two year check and lastly a check every 5
    years after that. I've always been a worry wart, but my failures have been very minimal.

So recently, from 2 different vendors on 2 different size bags (1 quart and 1 gallon), I've had way too
    many failures, leaks or what ever you want to call it. On my last processing of Tang in quart bags, I
    had 2 failures. After repaacking them, they seem ok after 2 weeks. On my last powdered milk, I've
    had 2 failures and then a failure on the reprocessing of 1 bag (gallons). I even tossed in extra oxygen
    absorbers, just in case, on the powdered milk. This is a different brand of no fat powdered milk, than
    I normally purchase. With one repack ok and one repack going bad, I just don't know what to think!

Anyone else had similar problems. This is a first for me. In the previous 14 years, I've only had 1
    Mylar bag failure and it showed up with in the 3 day inspection. And yes, my oxygen absorbers are
    good.

It must be a prepper's worst nightmare - to open up stocked up items at the time he needs it, only to find his prep had gone bad.

Maybe, the quality of mylar bags they make aren't as good anymore. There must be a big demand for mylar bags lately and makers are probably rushing to make them with less regard for quality.

Until this last failure, I had not bothered to check due to previous success. Now I'm using a mag lite inside
    the bag to check for holes or damage. I in hind sight, I should have looked for holes after I emptied the
    bad bags. As far as seals, everything looked fine. I'm still doing it the same as when I started putting up
    dry food. Thickness of my bags varies. I originally started out with 5 mil material and now use up to 7.5
    mil, especially on the 5 gallon bags.

Prior to sealing, I squeeze as much air out as possible. I switched over to "Ziplock" thype bags years ago,
    I feel it allows me keep gunk and critters out once I need to open the bag. I'm going to see if I can use
    my vac saver to help eliminate air in the bag, just before heat sealing. I have an impulse sealer I use on
    my 1 quart and 2 quart bags I use for spices and such.

Thanks for the comments.

An extra note for those who store iodized salt. Iodized salt becomes unstable at about 5 years of storage.
    Sources don't seem to indicated old iodized salt is bad. It seems they are saying the iodine dosage
    declines with age making in less than what is needed to prevent thyroid problems. I've started rotating
    my iodized salt out of storage in 2 years time. Pure salt, for storing meat, etc. doesn't have the problem.
    1skrewsloose likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I've never really paid attention to where I get my mylar bags (maybe I should). I just go with the most reputable sounding sellers on Amazon. The only ones I've ever had fail were ones I used on dehydrated re-fried beans that have lots of sharp points that can puncture the bags. If the bags don't leak in the first couple of days, I figure they're okay to put in storage.

Re: Iodized Salt
    There are thousands and thousands of pounds of "expired" iodized salt being used in kitchens all over the world. If it was dangerous I think someone would have mentioned it by now. The only reason I keep non-iodized in my long term storage is because iodized salt (actually the anti-caking agent in iodized table salt) can make pickling solution cloudy. ...and who wants cloudy sauerkraut during a zombie apocalypse?

Sponsored Links