Actual prepping related question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Actual prepping related question within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So I realized that I throw away a ton of milk cartons (gallon milk jugs) and thought to myself, these have to be useful. So ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Actual prepping related question

So I realized that I throw away a ton of milk cartons (gallon milk jugs) and thought to myself, these have to be useful. So I thought it would be an interesting discussion for the community. How do you use your empty milk cartons? In the past I;ve used them to store old motor oil and dispose of it. I've thought about cutting the tops off and using them as a planter box of some kind. But other than that...there got to be something creative we can use them for. So how about PF, any ideas?
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

I use them around the base of smaller fruit trees to keep the weed wacker and critters that chew away.
    Arklatex likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Make sure they are completely clean and dry inside, the use it to store uncooked rice. Once filled, you can use waterproof packing tape to further seal them. Can be used this way for other food stuffs also.
    slewfoot likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

Be careful about using them for water or food. They must be completely clean and it's hard to do. If you don't get them clean, the milk residue will become a bacterial growth.

Cut the bottom out and it makes a good scoop with handle attached and the screw cap spout makes a funnel for controlled dispensing.
    We use about 30 of them filled with water, as weights to hold a swimming pool cover in place.
    I guess you could use them as planters too. That's all I got.
    paraquack likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

I fill them with water to use for watering plants or flushing toilets when the power goes out.
    When the water gets stale or I get bored I shoot them to watch the splash or to test my current bullet expansion and penetration
    Arklatex, BagLady and MrsInor like this.

I use them as a cone to hold the roosters when I kill them.
    BagLady, MrsInor, Smokin04 and 1 others like this.

I do use them for temporary water storage. They get cleaned out, then filled with a bleach solution and left to sit overnight. We have never had any issue with anything left on or in the jug. There is a tendency for some brands to develope small leaks. You get to recognize these jugs and just pitch/recycle them.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

They blow up REALLY good. I use them for targets, fill them with water then BOOM. Works great you can put them at various distances, then work back & forth between long & short. Instant feedback that you hit.
    paraquack and Hemi45 like this.

Nearly fill with water and use them to take up extra freezer space. You have clean water (ice) and if power goes down freezer stays cold many days.

Cut a window in the side and dill two holes to to squwer the jug with a stick. Now you have a bird feeder you don't care if the bears run away with.

I have used them to store water but prefer something more durable and/or bigger.
    CWOLDOJAX and BagLady like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links