Remote internet options ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Remote internet options ? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Im thinking more and more about taking what few belongings I have and going solo. Possibly North West Territories or Alaskan wilderness. Only real issue ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Remote internet options ?

Im thinking more and more about taking what few belongings I have and going solo. Possibly North West Territories or Alaskan wilderness. Only real issue is I cant go without an internet connection. Mostly so I can text and keep in touch with family, email, and ebooks. Power isnt an issue. I have seen remote wilderness outposts and such with a connection but I cant for the life of me find any info on how its done. I figure its sattelite. Any techies that can give me some thoughts on how it can be done ? Thanks again !

Hughes Net provides much of the consumer satellite internet in the US. it is expensive and not really reliable unless you pay more and upgrade . Sometimes the only option for you. Over sea in middle east we used SEGOVIA they were outsatnding
    WIFI offering from companies that set up towers on building or water towers offer much better pricing and seem to be reliable . Not nearly as fast as cable or DSL but expectable. Down side you have to be with their canopy.
    Living where I do those are my only options I did Hughes net for 5 years then dumped them. Been on the WIFI system 4 years now. Some good news is new technology is coming that will make the WIFI system even better by a long ways, down side the change over will not come quickly due to cost.

For information on HughesNet in Alaska, call Alaska Satellite at
    1-888-396-5623.

Satellite Internet, HughesNet Gen4 High-Speed Satellite Internet Provider
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-29-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Blackcat likes this.

I agree. I had satellite internet at one time and it was not as reliable as cable or phone lines.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I currently have satellite where I live theres no hard lines that come out this far. I dont find it bad for my use as far as reliability goes but it just barely picks up a signal. Thats why I was wondering about extremely remote satellite type systems. If I do decide to go bush lol :p

Ham radio will support E-Mail if you are looking for contact only. If you need more like news sites, family photos, face book then you are pretty limited.
    Blackcat likes this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

We use Spacenet for the oil and gas sites we deal with. cost depends on how fast you want the connection to be
    Blackcat likes this.

I use the personal hot spot on my phone, with an internet signal booster. Works pretty well, not well enough to watch movies or video clips much, but plenty for mail, news, shopping, etc. Coverage maps show that there is none in my area, so I think I'm doing OK with this setup. If I need to download a large thing (as you can see, I'm really on top of this computer stuff), I try to remember to do that during a once a week or two trip to town, free WiFi at the saloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I currently have satellite where I live theres no hard lines that come out this far. I dont find it bad for my use as far as reliability goes but it just barely picks up a signal. Thats why I was wondering about extremely remote satellite type systems. If I do decide to go bush lol :p
    They range from barely working to outstanding The difference COST the more you pay the better it gets. And they get away with it because they are the only game in town. Same equipment make a call pay a bit more they hit a button and your service get better instantly .
    Slippy and Blackcat like this.

I second what Smitty is telling you about Hughesnet satellite Internet. If memory serves, we have the "latest and greatest" that Hughesnet offers (I think they call it Gen 4?) and I pay around $100/ month. If you stream videos or music a lot, or download large files often, Hughesnet is not for you. We had a cheaper package (about $70/mo) for a while but we would hit the max allowable service toward the end of every month and the last few days of the month we would have very limited service.
    Arklatex likes this.

I have hughesnet because it is my only option other than dial up. It is a ripoff. You do not get what you pay for and they know that. As soon as the contract is up I will be ditching them. My phone is faster and more reliable than the satellite. Cheaper as well. If Alaska has cell service I would go with that route. You can use the phone to run a connection on a pc or laptop.
    Smitty901 and Slippy like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links