What have we forgotten?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What have we forgotten?

This is a discussion on What have we forgotten? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I know that we're here to get help on things like this. I was browsing some ads as part of keeping a lookout for black ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What have we forgotten?

What have we forgotten?

I know that we're here to get help on things like this. I was browsing some ads as part of keeping a lookout for black friday deals when I saw a listing for a fuel siphon pump and I got a cold chill. It's a cheap and obvious thing to keep in your bob/bov, but I had managed to overlook it. Then I started wondering what else slipped by me.

Anything else you all can dig up would be helpful!
    BagLady and Becca like this.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

I've been at this for a number of years and there are always new ideas. Some of them I can even afford. I've concluded that I am going to be short some things. However, if I have 95% of what I need and my next door neighbor has 5% of what he needs I've done a better job than he has. You prep the best you can. Collect new ideas as you go.

I do recommend making lists. You need lists for what you have and for what you need. Both lists will evolve over time.
    MrsInor likes this.

Banned

I think this should be a very long thread just like the daily prep thread. Is that a good idea?

We could all add posts about items that we have forgotten to add to our preps.

lets get started:

I have a gallon of bleach for purifying water, but I've forgotten to add the correct bleach to water ratio to my 3 ring binder. ( I may not be able to go on the internet when I need this info)
    BagLady, cdell and thepeartree like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well, the truth of the matter is, we will NEVER remember everything. There is no such thing as prepared for anything. If the SHTF, you will undoubtedly come across something that you wish you had, but don't. That is where creativity comes in. The ability to make what you need, out of what you have, will be a lifesaver.

Right now, look around your house / tool shed. Can you make a water filter out of what you see? What about a stove? Knowledge and creativity will be more valuable than any gear you own.

(A cut garden hose makes for an excellent siphon hose for fuel)
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

The one thing I am always on the look out for are the good solid hand tools such as augers / bits, draw knives, chisels, even a lot of the hand operated kitchen items like the meat grinders, coffee grinders, hand mixers. The old time types that will last a hundred years or more and are easily packed up and taken with you. I also have some basic components Hammer head, ax head, etc carving tool.. packed away and ready to go, with the understanding that I can carve new handles for them when I get to where I plan or need to go...Saves a lot of space and weight but gives me some basic tools to start over if I had too.
    Slippy, James m, MrsInor and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    The one thing I am always on the look out for are the good solid hand tools such as augers / bits, draw knives, chisels, even a lot of the hand operated kitchen items like the meat grinders, coffee grinders, hand mixers. The old time types that will last a hundred years or more and are easily packed up and taken with you. I also have some basic components Hammer head, ax head, etc carving tool.. packed away and ready to go, with the understanding that I can carve new handles for them when I get to where I plan or need to go...Saves a lot of space and weight but gives me some basic tools to start over if I had too.
    Reminds me of Alone in the Wildernesss.

A J

Do you guys do the whole 'fish antibiotic' thing?

I've looked into it a couple times and never pulled the trigger.

AJ
    "Be careful what you post on the net, website owners will undo your edits and restore deleted things to serve THEIR needs and ignore those of you and your family"

"Even after they've banned all your friends, that helped create and moderate their website"

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Reminds me of Alone in the Wildernesss.
    That is absolutely where I got the idea...I want to be that guy when I grow up....
    tinkerhell and BagLady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post

AJ
    Yes. We have three of the four recommended and will be getting the fourth.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post

AJ
    I haven't but i should. I have diabetic complications that could lead to a need for antibiotics.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links