Low budget "crash"-prepping
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Low budget "crash"-prepping within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Some folks never even thought of prepping........until now. Having to do it suddenly, and with limited cash (due to the current economic situation), can be ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Low budget "crash"-prepping

Some folks never even thought of prepping........until now.
    Having to do it suddenly, and with limited cash (due to the current economic situation), can be very daunting, and scary - when we feel the pressure to prepare for what might come after the election. Don't fret.
    Depending on your budget, aim to prep that would be good for a week or two, and if you can - even for a month.

You don't aim to do everything all at once!
    It took years for me (and others), to get the hang of it and get to where we are today as far as preparation is concerned.
    And, though I can say we're prepared - in our household, it is still far from perfect!

This thread is devoted to help with ideas on how to do a "crash" prepping on a very low budget.

First, stop throwing your coke, juice and water bottles in the recycle bin. Clean/sanitize them out now, and start filling them with water!
    Just in case our drinking water gets compromised in a situation - you've got to have safe drinking water. Think of water for cooking, too.
    So it doesn't hurt to have as much water as you possibly can.

Aiming for 2 weeks or so supply, I would start with these (as much as you can afford).
    Remember, the idea is to keep us off the streets when it isn't safe to be out there.
    Also to keep in mind that there might be disruptions in food production/deliveries and stores could get empty.

eggs (2 dozen)
    peanut butter (1 large tub)
    bread
    (if you can buy at least 3, put them in freezer so they will last - just make sure you use them up first whenever you buy a fresh loaf.
    First in-first out.)
    Oatmeal (you might need sugar to go with it)

Canned soup
    Pancake mix (complete - just add water) note: pancakes can become substitute for breads.
    Cup noodles and/or minute ramen noodles and/or Kraft Dinner
    Pasta sauce
    Pasta

Baby food and needs - diapers, wipes, rash ointment (if applicable)

Flu meds
    your special meds

Pet food (if you have pets)

Toilet Paper
    Last edited by charito; 10-17-2020 at 04:35 AM.
    Annie, Slippy, stowlin and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator

If I had to start from scratch right now I go for the stuff below:

rice
    canned beans
    cooking oil
    bouillon cubes
    As Charito said, refill drinking bottles. Best choice might be seltzer bottles.
    Soap
    Prescription meds
    Flashlight and batteries
    If you're in an area that's going to have cold weather, that's a whole other consideration.
    Slippy, jimcosta, SOCOM42 and 2 others like this.
    Let us use the time as best we may.

Found this recently--https://1776patriotusa.com/new-first-100-things-disappear-shtf/

I don't agree with the order if they're supposed to be in order of importance, hope the list doesn't overwhelm.

Lots of these items can be had at the Dollar store.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 10-17-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    stowlin likes this.
    I will not submit! Just leave me be!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Organize a surprise night raid of your mormon neighbor...
    paulag1955 likes this.

I agree with Annie's list to start with.
    On your second shopping spree:

I would add a bottle of non-scented bleach for water purification.
    Then add some canned tomatoes (or spaghetti sauce) and pasta.

Then throw in some nutrients like cans of corn, green beans and mixed vegetables.

When you can afford it, add some canned spam, chicken or tuna for an occasional meat treat, though unneeded.

On the medical side, pick up some canned peaches. The stress may cause your food to "back up" so to say.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 10-17-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    charito likes this.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

On your third shopping spree, add the heavy equipment:

Toilet Paper Replacement: Pump Sprayer ($15)

Bag of cheap bars of soap. They can be shaved and used for hands, clothes and dish washing.

Make a rocket stove out of concrete blocks ($5),
    Or one out of tin cans (Free).

Last edited by jimcosta; 10-17-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    inceptor and Annie like this.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    If I had to start from scratch right now I go for the stuff below:

rice
    canned beans
    cooking oil
    bouillon cubes
    As Charito said, refill drinking bottles. Best choice might be seltzer bottles.
    Soap
    Prescription meds
    Flashlight and batteries
    If you're in an area that's going to have cold weather, that's a whole other consideration.
    This is a good list, have every one of these covered.

Rice, 350 pounds, good for a year of consumption here.

Canned beans around 150 cans of great northern and navy beans plus 50 pounds of dried navy, this is "ready" food not LTS stuff..

Cooking oil, four gallons, have to watch expiry dates on them.

Bullion cubes, have two large club containers of 75 large soft cubes in each, just one with beef, mostly use Chinese spices.

Water, not a problem here, town water, a well and a river/lake on two sides of me, can treat with several methods if needed.

I have gallons of distilled water piled into unusable closet and under counter space, the distilled has less probability of bacterial contamination,

plus all the unwanted particles are removed in the process, it is available at Wally World for around 88 cents a gallon.

I did a Methylene blue stain on some, there was nothing in it that was not dissolved, inspection done with a 1K power lens in my microscope.

Plenty of meds for years.

Plenty of flashlights, batteries and chargers, every room has a minimum of two,

at least one is in a wall mounted charger in each room, all are Streamlights,

Kitchen has one wall mounted one right beside the door and one under the kitchen cabinets near the stove.

Winter is almost here, it was 37F overnight, a thousand gallons of heating oil is being delivered on Monday.

These are key items to have, at least start on an inventory of each item, then expand it, it won't take long to build it up.

For those with needed heating, a Big Buddy with 20# propane tanks can be a lifesaver, select one room to live in and close it off

with blankets nailed up if needed, sleeping bags and cots if needed.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 10-17-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Prepared One, Annie and charito like this.

Start with the basics, you can't afford to do it all at once. If you have the basics covered your probably better off the 60 or 70% of the population. I would add protection as a most basic need. Without a means to protect your shit, it will be someone else shit before long.
    inceptor, SOCOM42, charito and 1 others like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Stay away from places like patiot supply and mountain house. you can get similar non freeze dried items (sure they won't last 30 years) canned goods anywhere from 4 to 8 times as much for the same price (from places like walmart. Getting the same from sam's club gets you even more. Plus in a pinch (like GI's used to do) you can eat them right out of the can cold.
    SOCOM42, stowlin and jeffh like this.
    “If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Organize a surprise night raid of your mormon neighbor...
    I LOLed.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links