Low budget "crash"-prepping - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Low budget "crash"-prepping

This is a discussion on Low budget "crash"-prepping within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Slippy Organize a surprise night raid of your mormon neighbor... What I have found there is that the majority of them do ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Low budget "crash"-prepping

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Organize a surprise night raid of your mormon neighbor...
    What I have found there is that the majority of them do not prep. They don't have time. Things to do, places to go and things to buy. Some have told others that when things get bad, they will be coming to visit.
    SOCOM42 and Slippy like this.

What I did and still do is buy a little extra of what you normally eat and rotate it. By adding a little each time you will be surprised how soon you have enough to last quite a while.

Once I had that built up then it was on to bulk beans and rice along with freeze dried food. I've even recently learned to can. Not bad for a city boy.

Just make sure you add everyday stuff like soap, cleaning supplies, etc.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I LOLed.
    Thank You very much for laughing!

Mrs Slippy often says; "Slippy, you think you're funny but you're SNOT!"

Cracks me up every time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Be aware of their intro specials that are nicely discounted. I personally have never bought into these companies goods but I do take advantage of their starter packs when available as they are loss leaders to get you in. They are light weight and take up little space which is important to mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Old Man View Post
    Stay away from places like patiot supply and mountain house. you can get similar non freeze dried items (sure they won't last 30 years) canned goods anywhere from 4 to 8 times as much for the same price (from places like walmart. Getting the same from sam's club gets you even more. Plus in a pinch (like GI's used to do) you can eat them right out of the can cold.

Get down to a sporting good store, Walmart in many states, and buy a Maverick shotgun for $225 and $75 might still get you 300 rounds of bird shot. Maybe $25 more for some essential 04 / 00 bucks. It is far better than nothing.
    inceptor and AquaHull like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Be aware of their intro specials that are nicely discounted. I personally have never bought into these companies goods but I do take advantage of their starter packs when available as they are loss leaders to get you in. They are light weight and take up little space which is important to mariners.
    When they are available the LDS store has a decent starter pack that's reasonable. That was one of the first one's I bought.

Don't be afraid of shopping the markdown or clearance sections of any store, you'd be surprised at the deals you can find. Not just grocery stores with discontinued items or dented cans (as long as the ends aren't bulging or leaking), even cans without labels are all marked down cheap as well as meat, freezer or even some dairy.

If you do any canning or dehydrating....check produce stands or farmers markets (especially toward the end of the day) for any 'uglies' or whatever they may call it, (sometimes is also known as pig or chicken feed) but is essentially bruised or tired produce than can be had for cheap often by the box full. Just have to pick thru it, then process.

If you have a dehydrator.....save those little bits that are leftover (depending on what it is, of course). Be sure to wash off any fats or oils, till water runs clear, then dry it. Got some tired veggies or salad or greens that aren't so appetizing, but hate to throw it out? Pick it over for any slimy or bad spots, rinse it well & dehydrate.

Same with atleast some cooked meats. Trim off any fat and/or skin, rinse under hot water to get all the fat or oils off.....then slice & dry.

Don't have a dehydrator??? Use your oven....turn on lowest temperature setting, put rack on highest shelf and leave the door propped open for air flow. Just be sure to check it often and turn or stir up the food. Things like spinach or thin leafy greens can dry just fine if left out on the counter spread out on a rack. Those leafies are then best ground to a powder to add to other recipes the same as you would a seasoning. It's not perfect, but it can be done.

Hardware stores may also have a section of miscuts or bowed lumber that is also marked down or even free and can be used for many building or repair projects.
    inceptor likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    This is a good list, have every one of these covered.

Rice, 350 pounds, good for a year of consumption here.

Canned beans around 150 cans of great northern and navy beans plus 50 pounds of dried navy, this is "ready" food not LTS stuff..

Cooking oil, four gallons, have to watch expiry dates on them.

Bullion cubes, have two large club containers of 75 large soft cubes in each, just one with beef, mostly use Chinese spices.
    Was at the Chinese supermarket yesterday. Picked me up a bunch of sauces. Thought of you.

Winter is almost here, it was 37F overnight, a thousand gallons of heating oil is being delivered on Monday.

These are key items to have, at least start on an inventory of each item, then expand it, it won't take long to build it up.

For those with needed heating, a Big Buddy with 20# propane tanks can be a lifesaver, select one room to live in and close it off

with blankets nailed up if needed, sleeping bags and cots if needed.
    This!
    SOCOM42 and inceptor like this.
    Let us use the time as best we may.

FWIW most marinas especially stateside are tough on live aboard boats, but I’d suspect that would change in a series crisis and undoing of society. Most marinas are gated at shore, have lots of like minded people and here is the thing. A perfectly capable 27-32 foot sailboat is probably $5-7k today and will or could take you most anywhere - even though where it is, in the marina, might just be the best place for having shelter.

This is in response to the member who sent me a private message - I can't message you back.
    It won't accept my response to you, so I'm posting it here:

I hear you. A lot of people must be on the same boat - even here, due to our massive job losses.

The only concern in the immediate future is the possible unrest after the election (no matter who wins).
    That's in the first week of November. So....the clock is ticking on this one.

Just concentrate right now on water and food supplies that would last you for at least 2 weeks. That's very doable in our limited cash situation.
    In STHF situation - we'll eat what's available even if it's the same thing everyday! Then, add from there when you can.

Pork and beans is a very practical idea which I forgot to mention - they're cheap, high in nutrition and can be eaten out of a can
    (in case of power outage).
    They can store a long time (even if you end up not having to use them). make sure you check the expiration date.
    Nissin Cup-O-Noodles is high in protein too, and they're also cheap.
    You can eat oatmeal without cooking - just soak them overnight . Lots of recipes online.

Do an inventory what's in your pantry right now - you probably already have at least a week's supply sitting there.
    Set aside what you'd need in case of SHTF, like some sugar, or some opened Uncle Ben's, pasta sauce/tomato sauce etc..,

Flu meds and antibiotic ointment to prevent infections of wounds and burns (or what you normally use in your household), if you can.

The good news is, even if there is no problem after the election, at least you already have the very basic and you're on your way to prepping for anything that could happen. You can start adding and building it up.
    That's how a lot of us had started. Just buy what you'd normally use so you can rotate them as you go.
    Last edited by charito; 10-19-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links