SHTF! What's In Your FRIDGE?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on SHTF! What's In Your FRIDGE? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The fridge - imho- is the "first line of defense" from hunger. Most perishable items are in the fridge, therefore the contents of your fridge ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: SHTF! What's In Your FRIDGE?

The fridge - imho- is the "first line of defense" from hunger.
    Most perishable items are in the fridge, therefore the contents of your fridge are what we're supposed to use up first in a survival scenario. We usually don't realize how much food we actually have in the fridge.
    Normally, I tend to cook more than enough so there'll be left-overs, or meals that can be recycled - which saves me some effort at cooking.
    A lot of people do that in this day and age , especially busy households with working parents.

In our prepping, keep in mind....... the contents of your fridge if SHTF, can buy you time and stretch your stockpile.

If SHTF happens NOW, how many days will you get out of your fridge, meal-wise? What's in your fridge?

We just had our Thanksgiving Day last weekend so my fridge is really heavily laden. Left-over turkey, some ham, cooked asparagus, some cooked shrimps, unopened pack of bacon, cheeses (old cheddar block, Italian shredded, Kraft slices) lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and sweet peppers, an 18-carton and a half carton of eggs, milk and cream, maple syrup, butter, and variety of condiments, and jams, fresh apples and lemons. Just the two of us - these can give us about a week of eating!

We can extend it to more days, if we incorporate using fresh bread, fresh potatoes and yams to stretch it.
    There should always be bread! Don't let it run out without having an extra loaf or two. I always have 6 in the small freezer.

The oldest and the ones to easily spoil will be the first ones to be used. In our case, it'll be the shrimps and the turkey!
    The carcass of the turkey can be simmered into soups.

I think the first 48 hours of a SHTF will be so uncertain as we have to understand what's happening out there, and make contingency plans from there. Having not to worry about food will really help a lot to keep us focused on the immediate steps to be taken.

Note: in this uncertain times, I'll make it a point to always have 2 cartons of eggs (plus some pickled eggs), 2 unopened packs of bacon, cheese slices, and some cooked ham in the fridge.
    Last edited by charito; 10-15-2020 at 04:55 AM.

Live outside town. Married to a farm girl. Who knows what is in there. But bet it is stuffed full at all times as are the freezers. I often tell her I fear opening it . The stuff falling out may kill me.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Thanks for the heads up I noticed my beer supply is running low.
    That which doesn't kill me had better start running.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    The fridge - imho- is the "first line of defense" from hunger.
    Most perishable items are in the fridge, therefore the contents of your fridge are what we're supposed to use up first in a survival scenario. We usually don't realize how much food we actually have in the fridge.
    Normally, I tend to cook more than enough so there'll be left-overs, or meals that can be recycled - which saves me some effort at cooking.
    A lot of people do that in this day and age , especially busy households with working parents.

In our prepping, keep in mind....... the contents of your fridge if SHTF, can buy you time and stretch your stockpile.

If SHTF happens NOW, how many days will you get out of your fridge, meal-wise? What's in your fridge?

We just had our Thanksgiving Day last weekend so my fridge is really heavily laden. Left-over turkey, some ham, cooked asparagus, some cooked shrimps, unopened pack of bacon, cheeses (old cheddar block, Italian shredded, Kraft slices) lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and sweet peppers, an 18-carton and a half carton of eggs, milk and cream, maple syrup, butter, and variety of condiments, and jams, fresh apples and lemons. Just the two of us - these can give us about a week of eating!

We can extend it to more days, if we incorporate using fresh bread, fresh potatoes and yams to stretch it.
    There should always be bread! Don't let it run out without having an extra loaf or two. I always have 6 in the small freezer.

The oldest and the ones to easily spoil will be the first ones to be used. In our case, it'll be the shrimps and the turkey!
    The carcass of the turkey can be simmered into soups.

I think the first 48 hours of a SHTF will be so uncertain as we have to understand what's happening out there, and make contingency plans from there. Having not to worry about food will really help a lot to keep us focused on the immediate steps to be taken.

Note: in this uncertain times, I'll make it a point to always have 2 cartons of eggs (plus some pickled eggs), 2 unopened packs of bacon, cheese slices, and some cooked ham in the fridge.
    That is a REALLY early Thanksgiving. I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    ..........If SHTF happens NOW, how many days will you get out of your fridge, meal-wise? What's in your fridge?.........
    Depends on whether the power stays on, now, wouldn't it?
    charito and cdell like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Just made breakfast so I looked 5 dozen eggs. Lots of cheese , ham , Turkey. Avocado's, Apples Pears. 4 gallons milk 1 bottle of her wine. Plus a lot of other food. freezer side I am not opening that door. To much work stuffing it back in.
    Slippy and charito like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Depends on whether the power stays on, now, wouldn't it?
    If power goes out, it would be canning time for the freezers, gennie will help ease that time crunch. If power stays on, we are good for quite a while.
    Slippy, jimb1972, charito and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    That is a REALLY early Thanksgiving. I am curious.
    Thanksgiving day in Canada, second monday in October.
    stevekozak likes this.

Super Moderator

The heads of my enemies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Too funny SAS...

The fridge. Huh. Well, it’s loaded up and I don’t know half of the stuff in there. Now the freezer is damn near over flowing. Wife commented she wished we had a larger freezer. I asked her what for... she said.. bodies.. and walked away. Should I be worried?

Some of our food isn’t refrigerated like eggs and veggies we grow.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links