Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Was considering a move from the desert floor to a higher elevation- saw some property that looked interesting in the Show Low Pines rural subdivision ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ

Was considering a move from the desert floor to a higher elevation- saw some property that looked interesting in the Show Low Pines rural subdivision not far from the Stanhope General store in Concho AZ- I am a bit of an introvert and thrive on remote living and privacy- looks like this area could offer me that- there is a community well nearby to haul my own water- this sounds interesting for sure- only one drawback, there were a number of posts online that suggested since this is a depressed area there is a lot of drug activity and theft- I don't care what anybody does outside of my property lines as long as they are quiet- but since I will not be able to be at this potential new property ALL THE TIME initially, am I going to have to worry about people stealing my stuff? Is theft and burglary that bad in the Concho/Vernon AZ area? I've been to the area, driven around- I know the landscape but I have not spent a lot of time there, so I don't know anything about crime in the area- would appreciate some feedback from someone that is a bit more familiar with the area than I!
    Last edited by CamoCountryGirl; 10-08-2020 at 02:54 PM.

High desert, native American population. If you're into hunting coyote and prairie dogs, you're home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My wife and I looked at about 30 different properties in that area. Ultimately decided to move but stay closer to family. I may end ip buying something anyway as a "get away" place. Check out the snowflake az area also. But you do need to be careful.

https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/city/arizona/concho

While some of the property looks good on paper and pics getting to it is sometimes rather interesting. 2 properties we looked at needed 4 wheel drive to get there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CamoCountryGirl View Post
    Was considering a move from the desert floor to a higher elevation- saw some property that looked interesting in the Show Low Pines rural subdivision not far from the Stanhope General store in Concho AZ- I am a bit of an introvert and thrive on remote living and privacy- looks like this area could offer me that- there is a community well nearby to haul my own water- this sounds interesting for sure- only one drawback, there were a number of posts online that suggested since this is a depressed area there is a lot of drug activity and theft- I don't care what anybody does outside of my property lines as long as they are quiet- but since I will not be able to be at this potential new property ALL THE TIME initially, am I going to have to worry about people stealing my stuff? Is theft and burglary that bad in the Concho/Vernon AZ area? I've been to the area, driven around- I know the landscape but I have not spent a lot of time there, so I don't know anything about crime in the area- would appreciate some feedback from someone that is a bit more familiar with the area than I!
    @Inor may be able to help you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by soyer38301 View Post
    My wife and I looked at about 30 different properties in that area. Ultimately decided to move but stay closer to family. I may end ip buying something anyway as a "get away" place. Check out the snowflake az area also. But you do need to be careful.

https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/city/arizona/concho

While some of the property looks good on paper and pics getting to it is sometimes rather interesting. 2 properties we looked at needed 4 wheel drive to get there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input- the ShowLow Pines Subdivision is down the Road from the Stanford General Store- it is one of those Rural subdivisions where everyone has from an acre to 40 acres....roads are maintained dirt roads to all properties...there is no homeowners assoc and no restrictions, so anything goes- Right now I live on the outskirts of Tucson with no restrictions and it can get pretty wild and wooley out here, so I am accustomed to "eccentric" country dwellers....just trying to establish whether it tends to be an area where there is more violence or property theft- thats where I think I would draw the line- ...the properties that I have looked at already have power and septic...and there are 3 different community wells for that subdivision....have looked in St Johns but a little less vegetation, so didn't appeal to me as much...I like being closer to Showlow but far enough away....yes, have checked out the crime report websites on Concho- just going to have to take another road trip and talk to the police directly and the people at the Stanford General Store. Thanks for the input!!
    soyer38301 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    @Inor may be able to help you.

Good luck!
    Looking forward to all input- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CamoCountryGirl View Post
    I do not know anything about Concho, AZ but we built in rural Cochise County (Sulphur Springs Valley) about 4 years ago. So here are just a couple thoughts I have about your plan...

If you can postpone a move to rural AZ for a year or two, do it. Property values around here have absolutely skyrocketed since the first of the year. I mean 100+% since January. The prices they are getting for property here are WAY more than what the property is worth. Since you know about "rural AZ crazy", I am sure you also know that rural AZ is "the land of shattered dreams". I will wager any amount of money that about 80% of the homes and land sold near us in the last 6 months will be available at foreclosure sales within 2 years. Yes, you might need to spend a few dollars to replace the electrical fixtures and the copper plumbing that the current owners will rip out to sell for weight once the foreclosure starts. But it will still be FAR cheaper than paying the crazy-inflated prices they want now.

Theft/burglary is not even a consideration here. We regularly leave the doors on the house unlocked. The only real crime here is we are on a major route the dopers in Agua Prieta use to smuggle. But even that has slowed way down in the last few months. I am not sure if all the cartel members have all killed each other off or if it is due to something else, but we never see them anymore. And even when they were at their worst smuggling, they never bothered anybody here. The last thing they wanted to do was call attention to themselves with the locals.

The only other thing I would STRONGLY suggest is avoiding the whole "community well" thing at all possible costs. If "community well" means hauling water (it does here), I am sure you have FAR better uses for you time than spending 4-6 hours per week hauling water. Plus it is very expensive, not to mention the wear and tear on your truck hauling 3 tons of water per week. If "community well" means shared well (several neighbors sharing one well), avoid that also. Inevitably, the well will break when one or more of your neighbors do have the cash to pay to fix it. So you will end up being their banker or going without water. Plus, if you have a garden or fruit trees that require water, you will have some dipshit neighbor that will take it upon themself to become "the water cop".

Drilling your own well is expensive but it is worth every penny you spend on it and more. (Not finding water on our land was the only show-stopper we had about building here.)

Other than that, CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to get out of the hell called Tucson!
    Slippy likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I do not know anything about Concho, AZ but we built in rural Cochise County (Sulphur Springs Valley) about 4 years ago. So here are just a couple thoughts I have about your plan...

If you can postpone a move to rural AZ for a year or two, do it. Property values around here have absolutely skyrocketed since the first of the year. I mean 100+% since January. The prices they are getting for property here are WAY more than what the property is worth. Since you know about "rural AZ crazy", I am sure you also know that rural AZ is "the land of shattered dreams". I will wager any amount of money that about 80% of the homes and land sold near us in the last 6 months will be available at foreclosure sales within 2 years. Yes, you might need to spend a few dollars to replace the electrical fixtures and the copper plumbing that the current owners will rip out to sell for weight once the foreclosure starts. But it will still be FAR cheaper than paying the crazy-inflated prices they want now.

Theft/burglary is not even a consideration here. We regularly leave the doors on the house unlocked. The only real crime here is we are on a major route the dopers in Agua Prieta use to smuggle. But even that has slowed way down in the last few months. I am not sure if all the cartel members have all killed each other off or if it is due to something else, but we never see them anymore. And even when they were at their worst smuggling, they never bothered anybody here. The last thing they wanted to do was call attention to themselves with the locals.

The only other thing I would STRONGLY suggest is avoiding the whole "community well" thing at all possible costs. If "community well" means hauling water (it does here), I am sure you have FAR better uses for you time than spending 4-6 hours per week hauling water. Plus it is very expensive, not to mention the wear and tear on your truck hauling 3 tons of water per week. If "community well" means shared well (several neighbors sharing one well), avoid that also. Inevitably, the well will break when one or more of your neighbors do have the cash to pay to fix it. So you will end up being their banker or going without water. Plus, if you have a garden or fruit trees that require water, you will have some dipshit neighbor that will take it upon themself to become "the water cop".

Drilling your own well is expensive but it is worth every penny you spend on it and more. (Not finding water on our land was the only show-stopper we had about building here.)

Other than that, CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to get out of the hell called Tucson!

Thanks for your reply....great input...great suggestions.....
    Tucson has been great to me- moved here in the 90's from New Jersey, started a small business....bought a small ranch outside of Tucson and by the grace of God it all came together...I am now completely debt free and have structured my business where I am only working 3 days a week....I love Tucson but the heat has finally gotten to me- I love pine trees and mountain living, it's where I see myself....I have a travel trailer and belong to an Off Grid camping club and it seems that most of our monthly excursions are in the White Mountains, at least 8 or 9 months out of the year....so moving up that way has always made sense to me....I really like Show Low, it would be my choice connection for my "Go To Town For Supplies" place-....some destination in the pine trees somewhere up that way is my ultimate desire- I know the winters can get rough, I do remember New Jersey, but I am ready for a change- in Tucson we have had over 105 straight days of 100+ temps....OMG....it's freaking OCTOBER....There is a distressed property I saw in Concho AZ, not where I ultimately want to be, BUT it has electric, septic and a tiny home on it that is movable....a complete tiny home...of course the whole property needs some TLC, is in forclosure and could be had pretty damn affordably....if I buy it, it would be my plan to sell my little ranch here outside Tucson within a year....I've taken excellent care of it and know I will probably make triple my money....eventually I would move the tiny home from Concho to someplace where I actually WANT to be....thats my thought process...the community well share idea is certainly not ideal....a pain in the butt, really....the only reason I am even CONSIDERING this is because the tiny home that is on this forclosure property is pretty close to what I had dreamed about for myself WITHOUT the $70,000 price tag....buying this rural property at this point will give me the opportunity to get out of Tucson NOW...as opposed to being forced to wait until I retire, I am currently 55....don't really want to wait, daylight is a burnin'.....not going to do anything without thinking things through....but that is why I was asking about Concho....wouldn't want to move into an unsafe area....but I currently live in Marana...and anything goes out here,,,,no restrictions...so we have out share of low lifes and druggies...I have no problem with what people do outside of my property lines as long as they are quiet and do not bother me....but I would never want to move somewhere that was "Unsafe"....hence, my reason for asking about Concho. Thanks for everyones input!!
    Slippy, Inor and inceptor like this.

""The only other thing I would STRONGLY suggest is avoiding the whole "community well" thing at all possible costs. If "community well" means hauling water (it does here), I am sure you have FAR better uses for you time than spending 4-6 hours per week hauling water. Plus it is very expensive, not to mention the wear and tear on your truck hauling 3 tons of water per week. If "community well" means shared well (several neighbors sharing one well), avoid that also. Inevitably, the well will break when one or more of your neighbors do have the cash to pay to fix it. So you will end up being their banker or going without water. Plus, if you have a garden or fruit trees that require water, you will have some dipshit neighbor that will take it upon themself to become "the water cop"".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more thing I wanted to add- yes this plan would include hauling my own water from the community well, there are many members....it is a small water company...members pay $22. per month for unlimited water- so it is my understanding that the $22. per month covers repairs as well....we are not required to pay anything additionally...but of course I would make sure, before doing anything...it is about a mile from the property I am considering...and the property is already set up with tanks...since I was in the horse industry for years I have a 1 ton diesel with rear airbags...so completely doable...but yes, not ideal....but in my mind it is a bullet that is possible worth biting, temporarily, so I can move toward what I want without having to endure another dreadful summer in Tucson
    Inor likes this.

@CamoCountryGirl

Sounds like you have lived and are living the DREAM!

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and preparations!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links