Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ

This is a discussion on Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I lived outside of Showlow (Taylor area) for a few years, a few years ago (it has been about 5 years now). The Concho area ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Anybody Know Anything About Concho AZ Outside Of Show Low AZ

I lived outside of Showlow (Taylor area) for a few years, a few years ago (it has been about 5 years now). The Concho area is interesting. A lot of people living out there that mind their own business and for sure don't want anyone minding theirs. A lot of self-reliant types. There are going to be drugs almost anywhere you go. I didn't see it was any worse out in that direction than it was anywhere else. If solitude is what you are looking for, I would say you have the right place (keep in mind I am 5 years removed and have no idea what has transpired in those years). if you have a motorbike, well, the whole state is pretty wonderful for that. I rode the wheels off my Vulcan when I lived out there!!

edited to add: Tucson was place I enjoyed visiting very much, but never wanted to live there.

Also edited to add: There is a strong LDS presence in the population thereabouts as well, if that makes a difference to you one way or another. Where I lived was 80%+ Mormon. As an individual raised Baptist, I was an outsider, but never had any real issues. Most folks were nice but there is an undercurrent of.....something.
    Last edited by stevekozak; 10-10-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Inor and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CamoCountryGirl View Post
    Thanks for your reply....great input...great suggestions.....
    Tucson has been great to me- moved here in the 90's from New Jersey, started a small business....bought a small ranch outside of Tucson and by the grace of God it all came together...I am now completely debt free and have structured my business where I am only working 3 days a week....I love Tucson but the heat has finally gotten to me- I love pine trees and mountain living, it's where I see myself....I have a travel trailer and belong to an Off Grid camping club and it seems that most of our monthly excursions are in the White Mountains, at least 8 or 9 months out of the year....so moving up that way has always made sense to me....I really like Show Low, it would be my choice connection for my "Go To Town For Supplies" place-....some destination in the pine trees somewhere up that way is my ultimate desire- I know the winters can get rough, I do remember New Jersey, but I am ready for a change- in Tucson we have had over 105 straight days of 100+ temps....OMG....it's freaking OCTOBER....There is a distressed property I saw in Concho AZ, not where I ultimately want to be, BUT it has electric, septic and a tiny home on it that is movable....a complete tiny home...of course the whole property needs some TLC, is in forclosure and could be had pretty damn affordably....if I buy it, it would be my plan to sell my little ranch here outside Tucson within a year....I've taken excellent care of it and know I will probably make triple my money....eventually I would move the tiny home from Concho to someplace where I actually WANT to be....thats my thought process...the community well share idea is certainly not ideal....a pain in the butt, really....the only reason I am even CONSIDERING this is because the tiny home that is on this forclosure property is pretty close to what I had dreamed about for myself WITHOUT the $70,000 price tag....buying this rural property at this point will give me the opportunity to get out of Tucson NOW...as opposed to being forced to wait until I retire, I am currently 55....don't really want to wait, daylight is a burnin'.....not going to do anything without thinking things through....but that is why I was asking about Concho....wouldn't want to move into an unsafe area....but I currently live in Marana...and anything goes out here,,,,no restrictions...so we have out share of low lifes and druggies...I have no problem with what people do outside of my property lines as long as they are quiet and do not bother me....but I would never want to move somewhere that was "Unsafe"....hence, my reason for asking about Concho. Thanks for everyones input!!
    If you are "horse people" and have a running small business, you know the whole "rural AZ life" (probably better than I do). From your original post I was thinking you might be like so many young folks I see move out here. - They come here drawn by the great climate and cheap living with dreams of starting their own business. A year after they start their diner or hair/nail salon business, their business is failing and the bank is repossessing the home they just bought and they end up bitter alcoholics by the time they are 35.

Rural AZ is the greatest place on the planet to live if you come here with an established way to make a living and are able to pay cash for your home. If you come here expecting to build a business organically from local customers, you are probably setting yourself up for a VERY disappointing future.

If you ever decide to ride your horse through the Cochise Stronghold, give a shout. We are right on the east side of it.

P.S. If you do come down, please bring some rain.
    stevekozak likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    I lived outside of Showlow (Taylor area) for a few years, a few years ago (it has been about 5 years now). The Concho area is interesting. A lot of people living out there that mind their own business and for sure don't want anyone minding theirs. A lot of self-reliant types. There are going to be drugs almost anywhere you go. I didn't see it was any worse out in that direction than it was anywhere else. If solitude is what you are looking for, I would say you have the right place (keep in mind I am 5 years removed and have no idea what has transpired in those years). if you have a motorbike, well, the whole state is pretty wonderful for that. I rode the wheels off my Vulcan when I lived out there!!

edited to add: Tucson was place I enjoyed visiting very much, but never wanted to live there.

Also edited to add: There is a strong LDS presence in the population thereabouts as well, if that makes a difference to you one way or another. Where I lived was 80%+ Mormon. As an individual raised Baptist, I was an outsider, but never had any real issues. Most folks were nice but there is an undercurrent of.....something.
    I am the self reliant type...like my privacy and only seek people out when I feel like a little company- that said, I really don't care what happens outside my property lines- as long asthey are QUIET and they don't bother me- Mormons are fine....I really don't discriminate....it can be a slightly strange area, and thats OK....just as long as nobody steals from me....I won't be stupid about it by leaving stuff around...and the first thing I would do with a property would be to fence it because of my dogs....but I am really going to do some serious checking into the property theft in that area....most people are turned off by strange reclusive vets that live in the hills...and people that grow their own food and have 75 dogs....beard wearing gun toting American loving patriots that drive around in old pickup trucks....but I blend well with that type....but thieves is where I draw the line....that Concho area has gotten my attention...and yes, the off-grid self reliant types is the people I like to be around...so this deserves further research...in a week or two I am going to take a ride up...visit that FAMOUS Stanford General Store....the meeting place for all the locals and they HAVE EVERYTHING....shower laundramat...hardware store...even a bar with live music on friday and Saturday....sounds kinda cool...thanks for your great input!! and your OPTIMISM....really appreciate that....

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    If you are "horse people" and have a running small business, you know the whole "rural AZ life" (probably better than I do). From your original post I was thinking you might be like so many young folks I see move out here. - They come here drawn by the great climate and cheap living with dreams of starting their own business. A year after they start their diner or hair/nail salon business, their business is failing and the bank is repossessing the home they just bought and they end up bitter alcoholics by the time they are 35.

Rural AZ is the greatest place on the planet to live if you come here with an established way to make a living and are able to pay cash for your home. If you come here expecting to build a business organically from local customers, you are probably setting yourself up for a VERY disappointing future.

If you ever decide to ride your horse through the Cochise Stronghold, give a shout. We are right on the east side of it.

P.S. If you do come down, please bring some rain.
    LOL...Raised and trained horses for over 20 years...also had a Great Dane Dog rescue...rode the Stronghold many times...camped back in there...also camped in the Portal area...finally decided that I could never get away, was ties to the property because of all my animals- after I sold my last colt, that was it...I was out of the horse biz....then my big dogs died off from old age...now I have 2 dog pound doggies...that are athletic and can hike for miles...they load up in the back seat of my pickup and we hook up the travel trailer and lock the gate behind us...it's wonderful!! No more worrying....I've had a Mobile Dog Grooming business for many years and service the Ritz Carlton Retirment Golf resort area where Tiger Woods plays, work 3 days a week and have been pretty savvy with my investments....I am debt free so if this Concho property things comes together it will be really cheap to get into and I will be paying cash....since I only work 3 days a week I would commute for long weekends at the new property....then when My Tucson property sells then I will bank the entire amount and work on my new property...I have a custom fully equipped mobile grooming van that is paid off that I will be taking with me....if I get to the point where I need a little extra cash...or I just need to get off the property and do something else, Show Low is only a 30 minute drive- and there are absolutely NO mobile dog groomers in the Show Low Pine Top area....so I think I have a pretty decent backup plan...just in case! Thanks for your input!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    I am Lutheran, so I am an outsider to the Mormons as well. But they are the absolute greatest neighbors you could ever have! I have had some business with LDS folks in Benson as well as Safford and they were absolutely the best folks I have ever worked with. They are never the cheapest, but they always do quality work and never take advantage of you. And, if you can get plugged in to the "Mormon Mafia" (their church keeps a roster of what each member does for a living), they can always find somebody to sell you whatever product or service you might need and they always treated me fairly.

Although I do not share their faith, I do share their values. Mormons are 110% A+ in my book!
    Slippy and Pobilly Duke like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

...Mormons are 110% A+ in my book!
    Plus, if you invite 2 of them fishing, they won't drink all your beer or coffee!

(Its a joke people, c'mon man! )

I am Lutheran, so I am an outsider to the Mormons as well. But they are the absolute greatest neighbors you could ever have! I have had some business with LDS folks in Benson as well as Safford and they were absolutely the best folks I have ever worked with. They are never the cheapest, but they always do quality work and never take advantage of you. And, if you can get plugged in to the "Mormon Mafia" (their church keeps a roster of what each member does for a living), they can always find somebody to sell you whatever product or service you might need and they always treated me fairly.

Although I do not share their faith, I do share their values. Mormons are 110% A+ in my book!
    My neighbors were great as well. One of funniest things, when I first moved there, was I would take long walks, just to be walking. Would walk to a cafe that was 4 miles away, the post office (next to the cafe), the store a bit further, etc. I would have people stop me at least 8 or 9 times a trip, to offer me a ride. Total strangers. I would tell them I was getting exercise and thank them. Where I live now, I could probably walk 20 miles and never get an offer of a lift, and might have to be careful not to get hit. The area I lived in had lots of nice people.
    Inor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Plus, if you invite 2 of them fishing, they won't drink all your beer or coffee!

(Its a joke people, c'mon man! )
    Another funny thing, in the town I lived in (again 80+ Mormon by population), was there is one big grocery store, and that grocercy store, like every other business in AZ, sells alcohol. I never saw anyone buying that alcohol, but the shelves would deplete quickly, none the less. I always pondered how they accomplished it. It always amused me.
    Slippy and Inor like this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Have you considered the Alpine area of AZ. Don’t know much about it other than what a friend tells me. He camps in the area a number of times.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Have you considered the Alpine area of AZ. Don’t know much about it other than what a friend tells me. He camps in the area a number of times.
    OH MY GOSH...YES!!! Alpine would be my first choice....but I am priced out of the market....at least for right now....I've camped a bunch in Alpine...and it is where I would rather be than anywhere else in the state...it is beautiful...gets colder than hell in the winter....it's my plan towards living there full time eventually....but for right now, if the right opportunity presented itself where I could move to the show Low area and then transition to Alpine eventually....then that is the way to go....I like to take advantage of distressed properties and forclosures....it allows me to get what I want at half the cost up front...fixing, improving and tinkering is what I enjoy...and with the exception of electric I do most everything myself....
    Inor and stevekozak like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links