How prepared are you??? no BS answers allowed - Page 15
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How prepared are you??? no BS answers allowed

This is a discussion on How prepared are you??? no BS answers allowed within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Wedrownik Would I bug out? I don't have a specific place to go to and things would have to get really bad ...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: How prepared are you??? no BS answers allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Wedrownik View Post
    Would I bug out? I don't have a specific place to go to and things would have to get really bad for me to chose to abandon the supplies.
    I'm with you. Even if the supplies are packaged correctly I'll bet that a heavy rain or damp storage would negate any of the benefits we struggled to save.

For example, back in the day when men were men and sheep were nervous I got some flak over buying stainless steel knives. This was the era of "iron," which the old guys used for rifle receivers, trap doors and make-shift breast plates. Their point was that if "iron anything" was good enough for Fess Parker then it's good enough for us.

Well, all of my storage "closet" has stainless everything. Never saw a single streak of rust or had a lock-work fail. With a toothbrush and a drop of oil you can completely clean a stainless automatic pistol in about 30 minutes. Most times the worst spots "dissolve."

My opinion is simply that your "combat pistol" might sit on the shelf for +20 years before the Viet Minh finish swimming over here. Yes, I've heard every rap on stainless, but I've never had to replace a screw, a firing pin or an ejector.

I carried that same idea when I first bought survivalist knives. They're all still here and functional.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I'm with you. Even if the supplies are packaged correctly I'll bet that a heavy rain or damp storage would negate any of the benefits we struggled to save.

For example, back in the day when men were men and sheep were nervous I got some flak over buying stainless steel knives. This was the era of "iron," which the old guys used for rifle receivers, trap doors and make-shift breast plates. Their point was that if "iron anything" was good enough for Fess Parker then it's good enough for us.

Well, all of my storage "closet" has stainless everything. Never saw a single streak of rust or had a lock-work fail. With a toothbrush and a drop of oil you can completely clean a stainless automatic pistol in about 30 minutes. Most times the worst spots "dissolve."

My opinion is simply that your "combat pistol" might sit on the shelf for +20 years before the Viet Minh finish swimming over here. Yes, I've heard every rap on stainless, but I've never had to replace a screw, a firing pin or an ejector.

I carried that same idea when I first bought survivalist knives. They're all still here and functional.

All the last handguns I bought were stainless steel, no stainless rifles but with chrome bores and mag phosphate finish.

Several of my 1911's, have H&R made hard chrome lined barrels that we made.

See? I agree with you.

The only shortcoming so far with stainless is holding and putting an fine edge on a stainless blade.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    The only shortcoming so far with stainless is holding and putting an fine edge on a stainless blade.
    Perhaps I can help. There's a trick to it.

You might have to buy special stones for stainless. In the bad ol' days I found that regular files came across that alloy like it was coarse. Fortunately I am both handsome and patient so the rigamarole never got to me. I was also the time where I charged the guys by the hour.

It seems to me that modern stainless is less alloy and more iron. I used to polish that old alloy and some of it was +20 degrees. But now stainless will turn color a bit in long(er) storage. Whatever it is, it wipes off much quicker than rust on iron.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well sometimes I look at it and think I'm being silly, and other times I think I don't have enough.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Sponsored Links