Another shortage - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Another shortage

This is a discussion on Another shortage within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Chiefster23 We have a few sawmills nearby. Maybe I will go with roughcut. What kind of timber posts will last inground without ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Another shortage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    We have a few sawmills nearby. Maybe I will go with roughcut. What kind of timber posts will last inground without chemical treatment? Locust? What else?
    If any in your area, Osage Orange.
    They used to make railroad ties out of them before they started getting the cheaper oak and smearing them with tar.
    A seasoned Osage board will outlast any treated wood and most other woods.
    Problem is, it's hard as a rock and a pain on saws.
    Michael_Js and Mad Trapper like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    We have a few sawmills nearby. Maybe I will go with roughcut. What kind of timber posts will last inground without chemical treatment? Locust? What else?
    In Florida?
    Not a dang thing.
    In South Florida there are Formosan Termites that can eat thru LEAD.
    Annie and Michael_Js like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    In Florida?
    Not a dang thing.
    In South Florida there are Formosan Termites that can eat thru LEAD.
    Yep. All the critters is bigger and badder deep down in Florida where the sun shines darn near every day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    It's a shame to use for it, but heartwood black cherry has good rot resistance.

Hard to find black locust that will mill up good, mostly smaller stuff for fence posts.

Try some sonnet tubes with rebar or brackets to mount the posts on.
    NOOOO! That wood is too good for smoking meat.

Here in PA the only listed woods available is locust and most of that is cut small for fence posts. I’m now considering using 2 inch galvanized chain link fence posts. At around $25 each they are cheaper and readily available.
    Robie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    NOOOO! That wood is too good for smoking meat.
    Cherry sawlogs get made into lumber, the rest is either cordwood or cooking wood. I need to put up a stash of small grill sized stuff (< 1') so it's handy and I don't need to re-size cordwood for cooking

I've got plenty of hardwood for heating, sell some, and for cooking also have trimmings from the orchard (apple pear peach cherry plum).

If you have a chipper, large chips from proper wood works great in a smoker

If you have a chainsaw you can get all the telephone poles you’d need. Just wear rubber gloves rated at 7200 volts.

TMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Slippy, Chiefster23 and Elvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TenMileHunter View Post
    If you have a chainsaw you can get all the telephone poles you’d need. Just wear rubber gloves rated at 7200 volts.

TMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hard to skid them out with the wires?

As I posted in another thread. Building the two outside wheelchair ramps both at 23-25 feet long one for each house and a few insides one the costs are way up. Also treat wood is hard to come by and prices up. 10 foot lumber can be had but longer is a hit or miss. The cabinets I put in were not my first choice but the others would have meant a long wait with no promise of when they would get here.
    I have had to make the upper railings from standard construction lumber. No treated in the sizes needed.
    On the one ramp I recycled 4x4 post and a section from a 21 year old deck that had been reused once already. flat section in the middle is recycled. Looking real good after I cleaned it up. Woods was all in good shape. setup that way so van can drop ramp right on it.
    Another shortage-20200816_113127-1-.jpg
    Last edited by Smitty901; 08-19-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    AquaHull and SOCOM42 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Did the weekly run to walmart yesterday. No ammo. No DAK hams. No bacon flavored SPAM but they did have regular. Only organic (expensive) apple cider vinegar. I was looking for canned peaches and I noticed that most varieties of canned fruit were only the walmart brand. Almost zero name brand fruit. Maybe walleyworld is deliberately cutting back on name brands to promote their own stuff. I prefer big brand canned goods for their better can coatings. Their contents last longer before getting that “tin can taste”. I’ve noticed that cases of Liptons teas have been pretty scarce for weeks now. I wonder if that’s a real shortage or just my local store choosing not to stock Liptons anymore.
    SOCOM42 and Michael_Js like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links