Canning question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Canning question

This is a discussion on Canning question within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello all you canning experts! I need some input. I am an experienced canner for years now. Lately I have experimented with pressure canning tomatoes ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Canning question

Canning question

Hello all you canning experts! I need some input.
    I am an experienced canner for years now. Lately I have experimented with pressure canning tomatoes instead of water bath canning. This takes less water and fuel, and most important it doesn’t heat up the kitchen as much! Yesterday I processed 2 pints of the first tomatoes from my garden. After pressure canning, my liquid level inside the jars is down pretty far, too far. Yes I removed all the air pockets from the jars before processing. Anyone have any experience with maybe pressure canning causing more liquid loss from the jars than water bath canning?

FYI, I processed the pints 20 minutes at 10psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Hello all you canning experts! I need some input.
    I am an experienced canner for years now. Lately I have experimented with pressure canning tomatoes instead of water bath canning. This takes less water and fuel, and most important it doesn’t heat up the kitchen as much! Yesterday I processed 2 pints of the first tomatoes from my garden. After pressure canning, my liquid level inside the jars is down pretty far, too far. Yes I removed all the air pockets from the jars before processing. Anyone have any experience with maybe pressure canning causing more liquid loss from the jars than water bath canning?

FYI, I processed the pints 20 minutes at 10psi.

I assume you know this but.......

Not allowing canner to cool on it's own (running under cold water), or not letting pressure come down on it's own( removing jiggler) will cause that.

I'll also assume jars had no nicks and sealing area of jars/lids were clean to start with.
    65mustang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I assume you know this but.......

Not allowing canner to cool on it's own (running under cold water), or not letting pressure come down on it's own( removing jiggler) will cause that.

I'll also assume jars had no nicks and sealing area of jars/lids were clean to start with.

ditto - only reason why that happens >> could possibly happen if you run it dry - ??

need to have patience pressure canning compared to hot water - plan on spending the day ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 08-04-2020 at 05:32 AM.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I allowed the canner to cool down naturally. No nicks or damage to the jars. And I didn’t run it dry. Possibly I didn’t have the rings screwed down tight enough? I used to tighten them Down pretty snug. Last year I started to go a little looser based on published canning guidlines. Maybe I should go back tighter. Most guides say finger tight. I used to go tighter than that and I didn’t really experience any problems.
    Mad Trapper and 65mustang like this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    I allowed the canner to cool down naturally. No nicks or damage to the jars. And I didn’t run it dry. Possibly I didn’t have the rings screwed down tight enough? I used to tighten them Down pretty snug. Last year I started to go a little looser based on published canning guidlines. Maybe I should go back tighter. Most guides say finger tight. I used to go tighter than that and I didn’t really experience any problems.
    Using a jiggler? If so you may have been running the jiggler to fast. Which will cause a higher temp than needed and may have caused the siphoning from your jars. Lower the temp so the jiggler just chugs along slowing the cadence of the rocking jiggler
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Jiggler rattling slowly so as to minimize fuel use.
    65mustang likes this.

I just googled it and looked thru multiple articles on this subject. There are a few causes but all agree that as long as I dont lose more than half the liquid, no problem. So I’m not gonna worry about it. There may be some food discoloring but it will still be safe.
    JustAnotherNut and 65mustang like this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Jiggler rattling slowly so as to minimize fuel use.
    Is your fuel source fluctuating? Glass top stove are famous for the temp swings.
    65mustang likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

No. Propane stove. Set the burner for a slow jiggle and leave it alone until done.
    65mustang likes this.

I'm definitely not an expert on PC since I've only been doing it for the last year.....but siphoning happens and as you've already found out, it's still ok & good to eat.

But do NOT tighten the lids more than first resistance, or the jars may explode. As pressure builds and is maintained within the canner, so it is within the jars...it needs an escape. The canner has the pressure valves & whatnot to allow excess pressure to be relieved...jars with tight lids do not

Also, density of the food can be a problem. Tomatoes aren't all that dense, but I tried applesauce one time and I'll never do that again in a PC. Nearly every jar threw up inside the canner creating a huge mess to clean up.

My canner has both the gauge and weight jiggler, and was told it should only jiggle about 3 or 4 times a minute but doing that, the pressure only reads around 7 to 8lbs. Getting it to read 10lbs and it jiggles a whole lot more than that. It's something I'm still working on to find that sweet spot for both gauge and weights, I do keep an eye & ear out for both and when it gets within range of 'there', I go by the gauge, regardless of the weights. And this gray area between the two, may have to do with my corn getting flat sour (being processed at too high of temp and/or too long that creates the bacteria that loves and grows in the heat, which is just the opposite of Botulism that is killed off by heat)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links