Canning question - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Canning question

This is a discussion on Canning question within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; When you opened the canner was there evidence that the jars "puked" out any contents? Visible and/or smell? One other thought, did you vent the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Canning question

When you opened the canner was there evidence that the jars "puked" out any contents? Visible and/or smell?

One other thought, did you vent the steam for a few minutes before putting on jiggler? Not sure if that would cause loss of contents, problem is air instead of 100% steam to get proper temp/pressure.

If jars sealed they should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I'm definitely not an expert on PC since I've only been doing it for the last year.....but siphoning happens and as you've already found out, it's still ok & good to eat.

But do NOT tighten the lids more than first resistance, or the jars may explode. As pressure builds and is maintained within the canner, so it is within the jars...it needs an escape. The canner has the pressure valves & whatnot to allow excess pressure to be relieved...jars with tight lids do not

Also, density of the food can be a problem. Tomatoes aren't all that dense, but I tried applesauce one time and I'll never do that again in a PC. Nearly every jar threw up inside the canner creating a huge mess to clean up.

My canner has both the gauge and weight jiggler, and was told it should only jiggle about 3 or 4 times a minute but doing that, the pressure only reads around 7 to 8lbs. Getting it to read 10lbs and it jiggles a whole lot more than that. It's something I'm still working on to find that sweet spot for both gauge and weights, I do keep an eye & ear out for both and when it gets within range of 'there', I go by the gauge, regardless of the weights. And this gray area between the two, may have to do with my corn getting flat sour (being processed at too high of temp and/or too long that creates the bacteria that loves and grows in the heat, which is just the opposite of Botulism that is killed off by heat)
    Do not go by the guage! Guages are well known for being inaccurate and unless you are willing to get the guage recalibrated every year, I would just ignore it. On the other hand, that jiggler is designed to maintain a specific pressure. And the weight of that jiggler isnít going to vary or get out of calibration. Trust me on this. Iím a retired engineer.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Do not go by the guage! Guages are well known for being inaccurate and unless you are willing to get the guage recalibrated every year, I would just ignore it. On the other hand, that jiggler is designed to maintain a specific pressure. And the weight of that jiggler isnít going to vary or get out of calibration. Trust me on this. Iím a retired engineer.
    Yup a gauge will get you in trouble especially if not tested at the beginning of each canning season. And a jiggle 3 or 4 times a minute is ridicules and incorrect.

This is a reasonable speed for a typical jiggler-

JustAnotherNut likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hawg! Great information but it applies to presto canners. All American canners call for the weight to lift (or jiggle) 1 to 4 times every minute. All American uses a different style of weight that is meant to lift, not rock from side to side.
    Redneck and hawgrider like this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Hawg! Great information but it applies to presto canners. All American canners call for the weight to lift (or jiggle) 1 to 4 times every minute. All American uses a different style of weight that is meant to lift, not rock from side to side.

In my defense nowhere in the post was an American mentioned I have presto's-

My canner has both the gauge and weight jiggler, and was told it should only jiggle about 3 or 4 times a minute but doing that, the pressure only reads around 7 to 8lbs. Getting it to read 10lbs and it jiggles a whole lot more than that. It's something I'm still working on to find that sweet spot for both gauge and weights, I do keep an eye & ear out for both and when it gets within range of 'there', I go by the gauge, regardless of the weights. And this gray area between the two, may have to do with my corn getting flat sour (being processed at too high of temp and/or too long that creates the bacteria that loves and grows in the heat, which is just the opposite of Botulism that is killed off by heat)

Last edited by hawgrider; 08-04-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

No defense needed my friend!!! We are all here to share information and hopefully keep each other safe. I vaguely remembered that 1 to 4 jiggles per minute, and looked in my manual to verify. All good as long as nobody gets hurt or sick.

All my cooker/canners are old USA made Mirrormatics, 4- 22- quart.

They still make canners, but not the same, a Brazilian import now. Another good USA company gone/outsourcing......

The old Mirros all use the same vent and jiggler. Very simple, reliable and durable. The only wear item is the rubber gasket, which last years if cleaned and taken care of. No calibrations to worry about and canning you just need to vent air, then put on jiggler, and adjust heat input. I try to keep extra gaskets on hand.

Name:  1 mirro 2.png
Views: 34
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  1 mirro.png
Views: 34
Size:  85.3 KB

One more thought on @Chiefster23 problem, was the rack on the bottom of the canner in place to keep it off the bottom?

Yes, rack in place. One possible cause noted in the articles I saw this morning was that some veggies are just naurally less dense and will shrink during processing. Maybe? Dunno?

Yes, rack in place. One possible cause noted in the articles I saw this morning was that some veggies are just naurally less dense and will shrink during processing. Maybe? Dunno?
    Were the tomatoes a sauce/puree, or whole fruit?. If whole fruit might want to do a puree next time.

I have to be careful pickling whole hot peppers, as they have a lot of air inside. I stab them in a few places and work them around to fill with picking broth.

Do not go by the guage! Guages are well known for being inaccurate and unless you are willing to get the guage recalibrated every year, I would just ignore it. On the other hand, that jiggler is designed to maintain a specific pressure. And the weight of that jiggler isn’t going to vary or get out of calibration. Trust me on this. I’m a retired engineer.
    Actually it's all good since the gauge may be off (which I've wondered about) on the under side (reading lower than actual).....so to get it to read right, I'm processing at too high of pressure. I'm just glad my canner has both, one to back up the other.......and I'm glad we've had this discussion, to know the jiggle weight is a reliable indicator that won't change over time. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links