Burpee seeds, RANT!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Burpee seeds, RANT!

This is a discussion on Burpee seeds, RANT! within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I raise a small garden for just the wife and I. This year I only planted 6 tomato plants, 3 varieties, 2 plants each. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Burpee seeds, RANT!

Burpee seeds, RANT!

I raise a small garden for just the wife and I. This year I only planted 6 tomato plants, 3 varieties, 2 plants each. I wanted all sauce type tomatoes since they are more meat and less juice. I ordered seeds for two hybrid sauce types from Burpee. These are expensive seeds. $6.95 per pack plus shipping! That’s big money for a few seeds. Well one of the packs I got isn’t what I ordered. The seed package says it’s the correct variety but it’s growing a yellow tomato instead of a red hybrid ‘roma’ variety. So much for quality control at Burpee. If I had a large garden it wouldn’t be a big deal, but since I only put in six plants, 1/3 of my harvest isn’t what I wanted. I’ll make do with what I have but it pisses me off to spend this much money and not receive what I ordered.

AND NO, THEY CAN’T BLAME THIS ON COVID! Lots of qualified people are looking for jobs so I’m quite sure that Burpees can hire good people to do their jobs correctly. Seems lots of companies now days have lousy quality control and customer service and all blame covid. I call “bullshit”.

A few weeks ago I ordered $80 worth of stuff from Tommie Copper. After over 2 weeks delay I received $20 worth of products, but was charged the full $80. Over a dozen calls and 2 emails to customer service all went unanswered. I eventually got a refund thru paypal. Tommi Copper never bothered to reply at all.

Two more companies I will never do business with again.
    Denton, 65mustang, Slippy and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I raise a small garden for just the wife and I. This year I only planted 6 tomato plants, 3 varieties, 2 plants each. I wanted all sauce type tomatoes since they are more meat and less juice. I ordered seeds for two hybrid sauce types from Burpee. These are expensive seeds. $6.95 per pack plus shipping! That’s big money for a few seeds. Well one of the packs I got isn’t what I ordered. The seed package says it’s the correct variety but it’s growing a yellow tomato instead of a red hybrid ‘roma’ variety. So much for quality control at Burpee. If I had a large garden it wouldn’t be a big deal, but since I only put in six plants, 1/3 of my harvest isn’t what I wanted. I’ll make do with what I have but it pisses me off to spend this much money and not receive what I ordered.

AND NO, THEY CAN’T BLAME THIS ON COVID! Lots of qualified people are looking for jobs so I’m quite sure that Burpees can hire good people to do their jobs correctly. Seems lots of companies now days have lousy quality control and customer service and all blame covid. I call “bullshit”.

A few weeks ago I ordered $80 worth of stuff from Tommie Copper. After over 2 weeks delay I received $20 worth of products, but was charged the full $80. Over a dozen calls and 2 emails to customer service all went unanswered. I eventually got a refund thru paypal. Tommi Copper never bothered to reply at all.

Two more companies I will never do business with again.
    Plus you get very few seeds. I had sort of same problem with broccoli from them. Not much seed, and the plants never formed heads. I think they sent me broccoli rab.

Tomatoes are not hard to save seed if heirloom open pollinated. My favorites paste tomatoes are heirloom roma and better yet amish paste (2-3X size of roma). I've got ~ 25 of those in and ~40 other heirloom tomatoes.

Try Johnnies Seeds.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/
    rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.

I like san marzano tomatoes, an heirloom. And I have saved seeds. But I have a terrible problem here with late blight so I have had some success with hybrids. Some success, no cure. Some of the Burpee hybrids grow hugh fruits and are very meaty. And they have some blight resistance. And yes, I’ve heard about and tried almost all the cures and treatments for blight. The only thing I haven’t done yet is cover the garden with black plastic for a whole summer. That’s not a option for me.

So anti-fungal sprays and bilght resistant varieties work for me. I just wish I would get what I paid for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What really helps for me is a heavy leaf mulch under my plants. Leaf mold is anti-fungal and it prevents soil-borne fungus from splashing onto plants.

I only do sprays that are OG approved. For tomatoes that is copper based. It's a preventative with no residual when washed off. Need to plan/time sprays with weather/rains/wet periods.

Here is a good link for plant diseases If you look around they also have weather data and a wealth of agriculture info (Cornell Coop Extension related)

NEWA - Tomato Disease Models
    Slippy likes this.

I even went to 100% raised beds with 100% mushroom compost hoping to bury the fungus under the beds. Didn’t work as the fungus is still here. I use copper based sprays as per instructions. I can control the blight long enough to get in the harvest. This year I mulched with straw and trimmed away all foliage from ground level up about 16 inches. The blight is still starting back now.

In any event, this morning burpee gave me the choice, new seeds or refund.

My neighbor is biting the bullet and going with black plastic to cover the entire garden to cook the fungus. But of couse this method means he loses the garden for this entire year.
    Last edited by Chiefster23; 08-03-2020 at 07:48 AM.

I have tried fighting the blight by mulching, spraying and trimming lower limbs. No mater what I do or what variety I pick, the blight takes over. So this year, I just said the hell with it. I did absolutely nothing, harvested a load of tomatoes and now the plants are mostly dead. That is fine with me, as I'm about sick of eating tomatoes anyway.

Some vegetables give me lots of trouble. I have given up growing summer squash as the damn bugs always win. You might beat them back with sprays but they always come back. I prefer my veggies with little to no spray.

The Good Cop

My wife uses several heirloom seed companies.
    Johnnies is at the top of the list.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

It's funny you should mention getting something you didn't order. I got transplants from Territorial Seed company late this spring and when they came, there were two varieties I swear I didn't order. Didn't matter, I planted them and they're doing so well that I'm ordering seeds now for next year. They are hybrids, but I will also have a good selection of heirloom varieties.

My favorite seed companies, in no particular order:

Territorial
    Botanical Interests
    Seed Savers Exchange (these people are doing fantastic work preserving heritage seeds)

I also use seeds from Ed Hume, because he's local and the seeds are widely available for emergency purchase.
    Last edited by paulag1955; 08-03-2020 at 09:32 AM.

I’m switching to Sowtrue as my supplier for next years seeds (except for the free replacements from Burpee). Was it Denton that recommended Sowtrue? Someone on here did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I even went to 100% raised beds with 100% mushroom compost hoping to bury the fungus under the beds. Didn’t work as the fungus is still here. I use copper based sprays as per instructions. I can control the blight long enough to get in the harvest. This year I mulched with straw and trimmed away all foliage from ground level up about 16 inches. The blight is still starting back now.

In any event, this morning burpee gave me the choice, new seeds or refund.

My neighbor is biting the bullet and going with black plastic to cover the entire garden to cook the fungus. But of couse this method means he loses the garden for this entire year.
    Not only does it cook the fungus, it'll cook the soil as well and may need amending before planting.
    Chiefster23 and 65mustang like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links