The Community Project: A Proposal for the Forum
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Community Project: A Proposal for the Forum within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; A couple weeks ago, paulag1955 wrote: Originally Posted by paulag1955 I like EOTW fiction that goes into depth about how people prepared before the event ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: The Community Project: A Proposal for the Forum

A couple weeks ago, paulag1955 wrote:

Originally Posted by paulag1955
    I like EOTW fiction that goes into depth about how people prepared before the event and how they fare afterwards. Realistically. Okay, there's not much out there. But that's what I would like to see.

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...ml#post2024457

So that got me thinking: Why not write one? OK, not me personally, but it did set my warped brain into concocting a idea. Let's write one as a forum.

Here's my idea: We create fictional characters in a small town that will experience a long-term SHTF event. Regular members of the forum who want to participate (totally voluntary!) will be asked to create three characters for this 'community': One will be someone who is totally unprepared and would be lucky to have a week's worth of food in their pantry. A second will be a casually-prepared person (maybe a months of preps) and finally a hard-core prepper (6-12 months of food, meds, water collection and purification, etc).

The characters they 'create' will be randomly assigned to other participating members so no one will have to disclose their own preps should one of their characters be based on themselves. Each participant will provide a bit of information about their three fictional characters: Age, occupation, marital/family status etc.

This way, the 'story' that we would be writing would be a bit more realistic than a book written by one person because every character will be created from totally different mindsets. Instead of one author creating all the characters, each character will be created by a different person. Plus, each character will be writing their own part in real time. By this, I mean the story will be written by us in a dedicated thread on the forum. Our interactions would be written, in real time, in our posts in that thread. There would be no preconceived conclusion to this story... it's basically open-ended, just like real life.

I already have a community the participants will 'live' in, as well as a timeline of the SHTF event. But I won't disclose any of that unless we get enough members to agree to participate to make it worthwhile.

I have no idea how well such an idea would be received by the members here, but if enough of us decide to participate, I think it could be a great learning experience for all of us.

What say you?

BPH
    Annie and Slippy like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

I'm in. I'd rather develop my own characters, though.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I'm in. I'd rather develop my own characters, though.
    The only problem I see with that is how many would just say they have 50 years of supplies stored, they live in a concrete bunker/compound and can 'hole up' for the duration? It wouldn't be a fair exercise if everyone was contending for a featured season on Doomsday Preppers.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Sounds fun! I'm in. Maybe it's a good idea to have BPH choose the situation, then continue to guide the storyline along to the climax and conclusion. Otherwise we could go plodding along indefinitely. Then the characters will have their choice as to how they react.
    paulag1955 and Michael_Js like this.
    Let us use the time as best we may.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    The only problem I see with that is how many would just say they have 50 years of supplies stored, they live in a concrete bunker/compound and can 'hole up' for the duration? It wouldn't be a fair exercise if everyone was contending for a featured season on Doomsday Preppers.
    I feel like anyone who would do that wouldn't really be serious about participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    A couple weeks ago, paulag1955 wrote:

Originally Posted by paulag1955
    I like EOTW fiction that goes into depth about how people prepared before the event and how they fare afterwards. Realistically. Okay, there's not much out there. But that's what I would like to see.

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...ml#post2024457

So that got me thinking: Why not write one? OK, not me personally, but it did set my warped brain into concocting a idea. Let's write one as a forum.

Here's my idea: We create fictional characters in a small town that will experience a long-term SHTF event. Regular members of the forum who want to participate (totally voluntary!) will be asked to create three characters for this 'community': One will be someone who is totally unprepared and would be lucky to have a week's worth of food in their pantry. A second will be a casually-prepared person (maybe a months of preps) and finally a hard-core prepper (6-12 months of food, meds, water collection and purification, etc).

The characters they 'create' will be randomly assigned to other participating members so no one will have to disclose their own preps should one of their characters be based on themselves. Each participant will provide a bit of information about their three fictional characters: Age, occupation, marital/family status etc.

This way, the 'story' that we would be writing would be a bit more realistic than a book written by one person because every character will be created from totally different mindsets. Instead of one author creating all the characters, each character will be created by a different person. Plus, each character will be writing their own part in real time. By this, I mean the story will be written by us in a dedicated thread on the forum. Our interactions would be written, in real time, in our posts in that thread. There would be no preconceived conclusion to this story... it's basically open-ended, just like real life.

I already have a community the participants will 'live' in, as well as a timeline of the SHTF event. But I won't disclose any of that unless we get enough members to agree to participate to make it worthwhile.

I have no idea how well such an idea would be received by the members here, but if enough of us decide to participate, I think it could be a great learning experience for all of us.

What say you?

BPH
    Shit, I'm in! All I'm doing today is drinkin' anyway. As long as @paulag1955 doesn't have a say so in this. That woman can be incorragable sometimes...

Just funnin with you paula!
    paulag1955 and Michael_Js like this.

Here's an alternate proposal.

We all here realize that we are getting closer to SHTF chaos days.

When we are about there many scared people will come to all prepper sites seeking survival plans.
    They won't know how to ask us how to survive and most current members here won't tell them unless they ask specific questions.
    Thus this site will be a wasted asset for mitigating suffering for others.

I propose we write plans for specific survival situations, such as City, suburbia, Rambo style, loners, extended families, country life, etc.
    This way a newby can quickly find his plan and implement it the best they can.

When the time comes we can cause one page to remain at the top always. From there it can list a tree of plans offering specific links and printable plans.
    It can also offer more detailed food/water and other generic plans.

This will preclude newby's from having to comb through thousands of files and bullshit gabbing while freaking out about saving their families. If we are going to help them then let's help them.

We can give them a down and dirty cookbook Cliff Notes style set of plans on how to protect their family. Now this would be a meaningful group service project.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 08-02-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

I'll start;

An un-seasonally cool breeze swept across the oaks and pines that sit on Slippy Lodge and for a split second a very bright flash split the night then was gone in an instant like a spark in the sky.

Slippy awoke from his slumber and instinctively reached for his trusty .45 on the night stand, his senses all on high alert...
    Michael_Js and KUSA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    Here's an alternate proposal.

We all here realize that we are getting closer to SHTF chaos days.

When we are about there many scared people will come to all prepper sites seeking survival plans.
    They won't know how to ask us how to survive and most current members here won't tell them unless they ask specific questions.
    Thus this site will be a wasted asset for mitigating suffering for others.

I propose we write plans for specific survival situations, such as City, suburbia, Rambo style, loners, extended families, country life, etc.
    This way a newby can quickly find his plan and implement it the best they can.

When the time comes we can cause one page to remain at the top always. From there it can list a tree of plans offering specific links and printable plans.
    It can also offer more detailed food/water and other generic plans.

This will preclude newby's from having to comb through thousands of files and bullshit gabbing while freaking out about saving their families. If we are going to help them then let's help them.

We can give them a down and dirty cookbook Cliff Notes style set of plans on how to protect their family. Now this would be a meaningful group service project.
    Won't work. The grid is down.

BPH: The grid will not be down until the grid goes down. In the meantime we can help those that come by prior to the grid going down.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links