Trends and Shortages
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trends and Shortages

This is a discussion on Trends and Shortages within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; A few days ago, my wife said that she wanted to get a couple Food Saver jar sealer adaptors and some 2qt mason jars to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Trends and Shortages

Trends and Shortages

A few days ago, my wife said that she wanted to get a couple Food Saver jar sealer adaptors and some 2qt mason jars to do vacuum storage. As we began to look for suppliers, we discovered that most typical outlets (including Food Saver) listed the items needed, but were out of stock on all of it. When we did find the items, they were priced ridiculously high… three or four times their price of only a couple months ago. After getting over being shocked and pissed, we realized that we’d missed it. Other people (consumers and merchants) were well aware of the run on these items, but we were blissfully ignorant. We actively prep, watch sales, buy bulk and considered ourselves savvy consumers and planners.

This has made me realize that trends, shortages and runs on everyday items that you seldom give much thought to, can suddenly raise up… no warning sign… no heads up, until it’s too late and you’re doing without. So, my questions are, how do you stay on top of those trends? How do you keep apprised of growing shortages before availability disappears? It’s a challenge to watch every market and commodity that impacts preparedness… monitoring the pulse of supply and demand. Today it’s canning supplies, tomorrow medical supplies, maybe water treatment equipment. Any insight?
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Here's a little warning flag or two, closing gold & silver prices today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Joe

Here in Ohio there was the same issue this spring with seeds and garden plants. Because of the covid shut in many folks decided they would try their hand at gardening. A local family run garden center owner ran out of almost everything. We were talking one day and he said a lot of the same folks came back a few weeks later and wanted to buy a solution for all their weeds. He told them to buy a hoe. @pakrat ,trends come and go. I look to craigslist for things sometimes. lots of people buy stuff and never use it or use it one time and give up because they find it is too much work. Have patience and good luck Bro.
    Slippy and Michael_Js like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Up here in BC I'm starting to notice that some processed food items coming out of the States are becoming hit and miss.

Hmmmmmm.

Godspeed
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    A few days ago, my wife said that she wanted to get a couple Food Saver jar sealer adaptors and some 2qt mason jars to do vacuum storage. As we began to look for suppliers, we discovered that most typical outlets (including Food Saver) listed the items needed, but were out of stock on all of it. When we did find the items, they were priced ridiculously high… three or four times their price of only a couple months ago. After getting over being shocked and pissed, we realized that we’d missed it. Other people (consumers and merchants) were well aware of the run on these items, but we were blissfully ignorant. We actively prep, watch sales, buy bulk and considered ourselves savvy consumers and planners.

This has made me realize that trends, shortages and runs on everyday items that you seldom give much thought to, can suddenly raise up… no warning sign… no heads up, until it’s too late and you’re doing without. So, my questions are, how do you stay on top of those trends? How do you keep apprised of growing shortages before availability disappears? It’s a challenge to watch every market and commodity that impacts preparedness… monitoring the pulse of supply and demand. Today it’s canning supplies, tomorrow medical supplies, maybe water treatment equipment. Any insight?
    Go to page 3 in the other thread on shortages. Look at my post on “defensive living”. I watch the news daily and use this defensive living strategy to try to anticipate trends and possible shortages. I pretty much look at everything now from the standpoint of “will I need this item and will it be available in 3 to 6 months”.

Many times you have no idea of what's going to happen.

Who would have thought that a virus could cause a run on TP and paper towels? Not long after that I saw a picture of a guy with 27 gallons of milk. I mean REALLY??? 27 GALLONS? People were posting some of the most bizarre buying I've ever seen.

Oh, and about a month later, those same morons were trying to return the huge amount of stuff they bought. Most stores deemed them not returnable.
    Michael_Js likes this.

I watched in Feb. and acted correctly pulling stuff from store shelves.

The only thing I did not get was hand sanitizer, did not matter, have gallons of precursor to make it myself.

Have 50 cases of TP on hand and the level did not drop, used only one case since Feb. and just started another,

But picked up a case of what we use today.

We are going to see another rush around the election to bring Trump down, prepare for that IMHO.

This thread does have me thinking on what I'd be hurting for if I couldn't obtain it.

Seeds were in short supply this spring. I had a pretty good stock saved but wish I had brought more bulk seed last year. I had transportation issues this spring and by the time a visited where I buy bulk seed lots of it was sold out. Onions sets were also hard to find. What I can't find local I should order soon.

Will sure buy up some more canning supplies as I expect all those new gardeners who started gardens this spring will be wanting to save some of their produce. I'll re-stock my store of canning lids, salt and vinegar for sure. I have spare gaskets for the canners. I have spare gaskets for my vacuum sealer ans a good stock of bag material. Freezer bag supply is lower than I'd like

I also should get extra supplies for my equipment, oils and grease, mix oil for the chainsaws. Check my nuts , washers and bolt inventory. I try to keep stocked from 1/4" through 7/8". Spare fan/drive belts. Check condition of radiator hoses. Fill up my welding tanks and get spare propane cylinders for propane torches, solder welding/bazing rod. Thankfully I'm well stocked with tools.

Supplies to fix buildings, nails screws roofing tar sand paper........

Household items dish/laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, tp/paper towels toothpaste.......

Won't hurt to get more food. The bulk rice and beans were sold out for quite a while. Lots of canned food is still in short supply and much more expensive. I haven't checked if powdered milk is back in stock?

Even though I try to be prepared, there sure is a lot more things I'd like to have on hand. Most of this stuff would get used eventually anyway, just have to look at it as investment. Money in the bank is no good for trying to buy things that are unavailable.

My local grocery store, Food lion is and has been out of canned Alpo. I needed mayonnaise yesterday. I've been buying Dukes but looked and not a jar to be had of Hellman's.

Prices on everything are going through the roof.
    SOCOM42, inceptor and Prepared One like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

[QUOTE=Robie;2027613]My local grocery store, Food lion is and has been out of canned Alpo. I needed mayonnaise yesterday. I've been buying Dukes but looked and not a jar to be had of Hellman's.

Prices on everything are going through the roof.[/QUOTE

There has been no miracle whip at the club either for a month, I use that instead of mayo.

Yes prices are going up, supply must be getting short.

Waiting for the chinkos to stop shipping food and meds.
    inceptor and Michael_Js like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links