Trends and Shortages - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trends and Shortages

This is a discussion on Trends and Shortages within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Michael_Js Lids, meaning the flat tops, right? Not the screw bands? If people don't realize, after 48 hours or so, you can ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Trends and Shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    Lids, meaning the flat tops, right? Not the screw bands? If people don't realize, after 48 hours or so, you can remove the screw band and reuse it on the next jar I just bought more lids, even though I buy the reusable ones also, but can't find screw top bands. So, been taking ones off the older jars. If the seal breaks, that means you didn't do it right in the first place!

Peace,
    Michael J.
    actually not a matter of "you can" remove the canning jar bands >>> "you should" remove the bands and wipe down the threaded jar area to remove any ooze out residue ...
    Chiefster23 and Michael_Js like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I always allow jars to completely cool to room temperature, remove the rings, and wash the whole jar to remove any residue that may attract insects.
    Mad Trapper and Michael_Js like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    Lids, meaning the flat tops, right? Not the screw bands? If people don't realize, after 48 hours or so, you can remove the screw band and reuse it on the next jar I just bought more lids, even though I buy the reusable ones also, but can't find screw top bands. So, been taking ones off the older jars. If the seal breaks, that means you didn't do it right in the first place!

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Yes, just the lids. I have bags full of the bands. You can take the bands off as soon as the lids pop down and they are cool enough to handle. They make that "pop" sound as the jars cool and the lids pop down, that's the sound of success when canning a batch.

If you leave the bands on they will rust along with the lids, sometimes so bad hard to get band off and/or lid rusts through.

I always remove the bands and wash the outside of the jars after cooling. Rinse and dry the bands for next use.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 07-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    Chiefster23 and Michael_Js like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    actually not a matter of "you can" remove the canning jar bands >>> "you should" remove the bands and wipe down the threaded jar area to remove any ooze out residue ...
    You should also remove the bands because they can mask a poor seal.
    Michael_Js likes this.

I know ya'll aren't going to want to hear this and/or I'll be the one to hear about it.......BUT.........it is very possible to reuse those flat lids again, as long as the rubber seal is still in good shape and no nicks along the edge. Just set them in some hot water to help plump up a bit......and if you're too afraid to reuse them on meats or veggies, then use them for fruits, tomatoes or jams.

Also, some of those store bought jars and lids, can also be reused. Like store bought pickle, pepper or olive jars, Ragu jars (if you can find the glass jars, cause they've changed to plastic now). And same with the lids on these jars that have the rubber sealing compound. Both lids and jars need to be soaked with a bit of baking soda & washed to get the smell of the previous product out.

I'm not saying it's the new 'go to' for jars & lids......but I am saying they will work if that's what you have available. And like I said before, don't use them for high risk foods like meat or veggies but can be used for lower risk, and by doing that, it will save whatever canning lids you have for the higher risk foods. I have successfully used store jars & lids and will usually put the same type product in them (homemade pickles in pickle jars, tomatoes in pasta sauce jars, etc). There is a higher failure rate of sealing, but out of a dozen jars only 1 or 2 didn't seal and used or fridge right away. I've even made a copycat Taco Bell taco sauce and canned it in the Taco Bell bottles. Out of 8, only 1 didn't seal.

And to be perfectly clear....you have to be extra cautious when reusing either store lids & jars, or reusing canning lids. Make sure they are VERY clean, no nicks or dents.....heat the lids in hot water 10-15 minutes and process atleast for the normal amount of time. NOR do I recommend using store jars/lids in the pressure canner....only WB. Reusing canning lids should be fine in the PC.

I'll say it again......it IS possible, if push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I know ya'll aren't going to want to hear this and/or I'll be the one to hear about it.......BUT.........it is very possible to reuse those flat lids again, as long as the rubber seal is still in good shape and no nicks along the edge. Just set them in some hot water to help plump up a bit......and if you're too afraid to reuse them on meats or veggies, then use them for fruits, tomatoes or jams.

Also, some of those store bought jars and lids, can also be reused. Like store bought pickle, pepper or olive jars, Ragu jars (if you can find the glass jars, cause they've changed to plastic now). And same with the lids on these jars that have the rubber sealing compound. Both lids and jars need to be soaked with a bit of baking soda & washed to get the smell of the previous product out.

I'm not saying it's the new 'go to' for jars & lids......but I am saying they will work if that's what you have available. And like I said before, don't use them for high risk foods like meat or veggies but can be used for lower risk, and by doing that, it will save whatever canning lids you have for the higher risk foods. I have successfully used store jars & lids and will usually put the same type product in them (homemade pickles in pickle jars, tomatoes in pasta sauce jars, etc). There is a higher failure rate of sealing, but out of a dozen jars only 1 or 2 didn't seal and used or fridge right away. I've even made a copycat Taco Bell taco sauce and canned it in the Taco Bell bottles. Out of 8, only 1 didn't seal.

And to be perfectly clear....you have to be extra cautious when reusing either store lids & jars, or reusing canning lids. Make sure they are VERY clean, no nicks or dents.....heat the lids in hot water 10-15 minutes and process atleast for the normal amount of time. NOR do I recommend using store jars/lids in the pressure canner....only WB. Reusing canning lids should be fine in the PC.

I'll say it again......it IS possible, if push comes to shove.
    I have hundreds of reused store brought jars some I've been canning with over 35 years now. They are all real Mason jars. No problems using those.

The store lids I do save but don't can with. They are handy for storage of dried stuff you don't want bugs/vermin in. I use them to store, sugar, flour, rice, beans, and bulk spices I grow and dry myself. You put the filled jar in the oven with the lid on loose, gently heat it, then remove it and tighten the lid. When it cools the lids will pop down and "seal" the jar. You can do the same with used regular lids but you need to use a band.

If SHTF I have all my used lids stashed, in case I couldn't find new ones. Only ones made for Mason/canning jars.
    JustAnotherNut and Michael_Js like this.

I got a bunch of canning lids yesterday. I called around, two farm/feed stores ( Agway , Poulin grain) had lids but longish drive. Local Ace hardware store just got some in. Got a bunch of regular ( $2.80/dozen) and a few for wide mouths ($4.60/dozen).

Wide mouth lids were more expensive than I'd remembered, almost went with a couple dozen wide mouth jars ($14/dozen). Most stuff I don't need wide mouth jars, but I like doing whole pickles/pickeled stuff.

To @Michael_Js question, they also sell new lids and bands together in 12 pks. Once you have enough bands that you save, just buys the lids.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links