Trends and Shortages - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trends and Shortages

This is a discussion on Trends and Shortages within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Buy what you can where you can. I don't believe it's going to get better....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Trends and Shortages

Buy what you can where you can. I don't believe it's going to get better.
    Annie, inceptor and Michael_Js like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I Got a call from my local beef rancher to tell me my 1/2 steer would be ready in 2 weeks. He uses a local Amish butcher shop that processes 15 Steers a day. He said the guy is booked until April 2021 !

I'm glad I ordered that cow when I did.
    Slippy, Robie, Mad Trapper and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    A few days ago, my wife said that she wanted to get a couple Food Saver jar sealer adaptors and some 2qt mason jars to do vacuum storage. As we began to look for suppliers, we discovered that most typical outlets (including Food Saver) listed the items needed, but were out of stock on all of it. When we did find the items, they were priced ridiculously high… three or four times their price of only a couple months ago. After getting over being shocked and pissed, we realized that we’d missed it. Other people (consumers and merchants) were well aware of the run on these items, but we were blissfully ignorant. We actively prep, watch sales, buy bulk and considered ourselves savvy consumers and planners.

This has made me realize that trends, shortages and runs on everyday items that you seldom give much thought to, can suddenly raise up… no warning sign… no heads up, until it’s too late and you’re doing without. So, my questions are, how do you stay on top of those trends? How do you keep apprised of growing shortages before availability disappears? It’s a challenge to watch every market and commodity that impacts preparedness… monitoring the pulse of supply and demand. Today it’s canning supplies, tomorrow medical supplies, maybe water treatment equipment. Any insight?
    We are in this position with a freezer for our western Washington home.
    Michael_Js likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    This thread does have me thinking on what I'd be hurting for if I couldn't obtain it.

Seeds were in short supply this spring. I had a pretty good stock saved but wish I had brought more bulk seed last year. I had transportation issues this spring and by the time a visited where I buy bulk seed lots of it was sold out. Onions sets were also hard to find. What I can't find local I should order soon.
    I'm stocking up on seeds for next year now. This year is giving me a better idea of how many seeds I need for each vegetable.
    Michael_Js and Mad Trapper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri.14 View Post
    I Got a call from my local beef rancher to tell me my 1/2 steer would be ready in 2 weeks. He uses a local Amish butcher shop that processes 15 Steers a day. He said the guy is booked until April 2021 !

I'm glad I ordered that cow when I did.
    Next time I buy, I'll get half a steer rather than a quarter. This was my first time buying and I had no idea how much cut/wrapped meat to expect, but I did expect a little more than four smallish boxes.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    We are in this position with a freezer for our western Washington home.
    Not sure about today, but recently Walmart.com has had Danby 5.0 cubic ft chest freezers for sale. Expensive, yes! But at least in stock and available.

Just checked. Available for delivery Aug 10. 550$
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Not sure about today, but recently Walmart.com has had Danby 5.0 cubic ft chest freezers for sale. Expensive, yes! But at least in stock and available.

Just checked. Available for delivery Aug 10. 550$
    No chest freezers but they do have a Danby upright that's available for delivery. Kind of on the small side, though.

Super Moderator

Walmart's out of Ball Canning and Kerr quart and pint jars online. Doesn't even say 'in store only'....That's very unusual this time of year. I'll see what I can find at the supermarkets hardware store.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Walmart's out of Ball Canning and Kerr quart and pint jars online. Doesn't even say 'in store only'....That's very unusual this time of year. I'll see what I can find at the supermarkets hardware store.
    A while back (April) local supermarket has Classico Spaghetti sauce $1/ 24 oz in Mason jars. I got a few dozen that I just need lids for now. I'm on a mission now for lids, I know I've enough for this summer/fall.

edit: wallyworld, homedepot and true value store is out of lids. Local farm/feed store is well stocked, I've got a bunch on hold for me, regular and wide mouths.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 07-30-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    A while back (April) local supermarket has Classico Spaghetti sauce $1/ 24 oz in Mason jars. I got a few dozen that I just need lids for now. I'm on a mission now for lids, I know I've enough for this summer/fall.

edit: wallyworld, homedepot and true value store is out of lids. Local farm/feed store is well stocked, I've got a bunch on hold for me, regular and wide mouths.
    Lids, meaning the flat tops, right? Not the screw bands? If people don't realize, after 48 hours or so, you can remove the screw band and reuse it on the next jar I just bought more lids, even though I buy the reusable ones also, but can't find screw top bands. So, been taking ones off the older jars. If the seal breaks, that means you didn't do it right in the first place!

Peace,
    Michael J.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links