How much precious metal?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How much precious metal?

This is a discussion on How much precious metal? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; How much silver or gold should you have on hand?...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: How much precious metal?

How much precious metal?

How much silver or gold should you have on hand?
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Enough to melt into ammo for vampires and werewolves
    A Watchman, Ragnarök and 0rocky like this.

I was just thinking the other day about putting some money in a gold IRA. Kinda made my head spin trying to get a handle on it, still don't have a handle on it.
    I will not comply! Just leave me be!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I can't speak to precious metals as an investment, but since this is in prepper-survival talk I am going to presume you are talking about SHTF currency. I am now up to about 1,000 silver dimes and quarters and a fair amount of 1/10 gold eagle coins. I also have a fair amount of scrap gold and silver jewelry that I will be melting down into 1/10th ounce bars in the next year or so. Not all of it though. Easier to carry a gold ring on your finger, plus then person you are bartering with might not presume you have more.

A generic question (How much metal) deserves a generic answer.

After covering your family with emergency supplies and doing all that needs to be done to keep them safe, then go on to investments.

The pros suggest:

** "Only the amount of cash or savings or pension that you wish to keep after the reset."

** To "If you can afford it, 500 ounces of silver Dollars per family member."
    This is a Monster Box per member, at today's costs of about $13,000 per box (500 X $27).
    Note: The $27 is the current street value (with broker's fees) to get physical in one day.
    Each box should later be worth between $250,000 and $1 Million.
    This should help your family get a great start after the chaos.

You should never have to sell the silver as you can borrow against a few coins for what you need.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-06-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by keith9365 View Post
    How much silver or gold should you have on hand?
    I don't have any but would be interested in why someone would need some.

I do prep for a collapse of government/society. But I just don't see how having some shiny coins or bars would help when needing food or some other commodity. Not like you can eat it and who determines the value? At what point would it have some real value? Would you have starved by then?

In my book, at the point our currency collapses, I think I'd rather have thousands of pounds of food in storage and hundreds of pounds of seed, that some shiny metal. But no one ever said I was the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'd like to be convinced.
    0rocky and rice paddy daddy like this.

Redneck: It is not needed and you are right.

But some folks have assets now that can be redirected for a safer return after the chaos - better rich than poor.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    Redneck: It is not needed and you are right.

But some folks have assets now that can be redirected for a safer return after the chaos - better rich than poor.
    Funny, I worry about surviving the chaos... not making more money if you survived.

If you want silver and gold to trade I would think about where you live and the population dynamics of your area.

I personally think a couple pounds of silver is more than plenty for shtf. But it needs to be in single ounce rounds so you are flexible...multiple exchanges and easy to conceal.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

1Skrewloose,
    If you invest on a gold IRA, all you will own is a piece of paper!
    If you cannot hold the gold in your hand-- you don't own it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links