wet weather fire tricks - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

wet weather fire tricks

This is a discussion on wet weather fire tricks within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I grew up back-packing and camping in the western Cascade mountains and in the Olympic national forests. We learned very young how to start a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: wet weather fire tricks

I grew up back-packing and camping in the western Cascade mountains and in the Olympic national forests. We learned very young how to start a fire in the rain forest. In the Olympics and western Cascades there is no such thing as "dry" tinder. We looked in the low branches of trees to find tinder - branches that broke off the tree but never hit the ground. It was always wet but if you trim off the outer wood the center was always dry enough to make a decent fire starting base. Another thing I learned was to build a "log cabin" fire but upside down.
    Place two 4 to 6 inch logs down about 3 inches apart. Lay some one inch branches across them leaving about a half inch between them. Lay your kinling on that platform with the two bigest pieces on the ends. Lay more kindling crossways on the previous layer and so on using slightly larger kindling as you work up. the top of this stack is using wood that is no more than 1 1/2" in diameter (squaw wood) and you will need a reserve of this stuff so gather it ahead of time. The the split branches and split logs can be put on once you have a fire going. As the coals drop down it gets the two logs on the bottom burning and your fire will last as long as you keep it fed.
    The key is to take your time laying the base of this fire and gathering three times the kindling you need for the fire and twice the squaw wood and all the logs you can find that you can split. Have it all on hand before you begin and then once you light the fire it will burn very quickly and need more wood. The upside-down log cabin fire it a great way to get a cooking coal bed in a hurry too - just stop feeding it and you have a bed of coals to cook on.
    I did eventually find ways to make fire starting easier but the things I used can also be used for making explosives so we won't go into that - you might not be able to get those materials after the SHTF anyway so learn to make a good fire first.

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    I always preferred the lean-to fire lay myself. Get yourself a big old log and build half of a tepee fire lay right next to it. You get most of the advantages of a tepee, heat rising and all that, with a solid hunk of fuel wood and it's fairly easy to convert into a cook fire once it gets going. Also since you're only using basically half of a tepee fire lay if you gather enough stuff for a full tepee fire lay you'll have plenty of I need more tinder stuff laying around or more stuff for the next fire.
    1skrewsloose likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Quote Originally Posted by warrior4 View Post
    I always preferred the lean-to fire lay myself. Get yourself a big old log and build half of a tepee fire lay right next to it. You get most of the advantages of a tepee, heat rising and all that, with a solid hunk of fuel wood and it's fairly easy to convert into a cook fire once it gets going. Also since you're only using basically half of a tepee fire lay if you gather enough stuff for a full tepee fire lay you'll have plenty of I need more tinder stuff laying around or more stuff for the next fire.
    This is how I prefer to make a fire also. And in the mean time, the bigger wood is drying out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links