The Other Side of Prepping
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Other Side of Prepping within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We all have 'stuff' to help us survive whatever may come...…..but what about the mental/psychological/spiritual needs? Especially in a time like this of stay at ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: The Other Side of Prepping

We all have 'stuff' to help us survive whatever may come...…..but what about the mental/psychological/spiritual needs? Especially in a time like this of stay at home orders or lockdown where you can't go to church or have much personal interaction with others? Depression has been a problem for many and even hits too close to home here.

Got word a few days ago my oldest brother is in a hospital in Portland from a self inflicted gun shot wound to his head. Details are very few & far between other than he is breathing on his own, but unresponsive. Nobody is allowed in except his wife and she hasn't been returning calls. Because of age difference (13 years) and family dynamics, we were never really close but blood is the tie that binds. It's been a challenge to deal with this, as I'm already predisposed as bi-polar. Atleast today I was able to spend a few hours with my sister and we're both concerned.

Sorry......didn't mean to make this about my problems, I realize there is another side to prepping that I don't think has been discussed enough. Those inner demons we face even in normal times that are surfacing now as the nation/world is in chaos......and how much worse it will become.

Very sorry to hear about your brother. Prayers have always been a solution to many of life’s concerns for me, and I feel blessed. I wish that more did, and I do wish for a revival to save America.
    inceptor and JustAnotherNut like this.

Sorry to hear troubles.

I''say just keep the faith and pray

God is with you all the time. He loves you and your brother.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

+1 Stow

We were warned about this type of situation early on. Some were saying more would die from this and drug addiction than from the virus. This is a side effect that no one is releasing the numbers on.

The down side to the warning was we were not given a way to help those in need. Much of the time you have no idea if anyone is having an issue.

What I have done is reach out to my sister in law as much as I can. She can suffer from depression too. Without trying, I got her interested in a new hobby. It started with an average conversation and her eyes lit up over one part of the discussion. This has brightened her life somewhat so she has something new to look forward to.

The first, and most important, thing about survival is MINDSET. Any reference worth a damn lists it as number one. You must have determination to see yourself through good times and bad, especially bad. You find this in all military survival guides, hiker's handbooks, and basic survival booklets. You have to keep a positive mindset. If you can do that, and keep your calm, you can work through just about anything.

You must find things that keep you focused on a task. Learn a new skill and devote all of your free time to it. Find a new book series and let your mind entertain you. Find a support system of people that are willing to talk to you about difficult things. Write down your plans and goals for the next month, year, decade. Flesh out those plans with real expectations and detail.

I can't pretend to know what you're going through. But take some comfort in knowing that others have dealt with it and won. You can too. It's not easy. Lord knows, some days it's a damned nightmare. But you can get through it. Tell yourself that you *WILL* get through it. If you have any thread of spirituality, pull hard on it. Pray for your brother, your family, and don't forget yourself. Another tenet of survival, "you can't help others if you don't help yourself first".
    You have a group here that's willing to send one up on your behalf too.

As Rodney Atkins sings:
    "When you're goin' through hell, keep on movin'.
    Face that fire. Walk right through it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

Not everybody likes to hear it, but the best thing to do is keep pushing forward.
    Good luck, and may God bless you and heal your brother.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Sorry to hear about your brother. As with all things in life, when it kicks you, kick it back. @Kauboy is absolutely right. Keep moving forward. I've recently suffered a loss and that's the only thing keeping me sane. Move forward.......and talk to yourself a lot.
    JustAnotherNut and Annie like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    We all have 'stuff' to help us survive whatever may come...…..but what about the mental/psychological/spiritual needs? Especially in a time like this of stay at home orders or lockdown where you can't go to church or have much personal interaction with others? Depression has been a problem for many and even hits too close to home here.

Got word a few days ago my oldest brother is in a hospital in Portland from a self inflicted gun shot wound to his head. Details are very few & far between other than he is breathing on his own, but unresponsive. Nobody is allowed in except his wife and she hasn't been returning calls. Because of age difference (13 years) and family dynamics, we were never really close but blood is the tie that binds. It's been a challenge to deal with this, as I'm already predisposed as bi-polar. Atleast today I was able to spend a few hours with my sister and we're both concerned.

Sorry......didn't mean to make this about my problems, I realize there is another side to prepping that I don't think has been discussed enough. Those inner demons we face even in normal times that are surfacing now as the nation/world is in chaos......and how much worse it will become.
    DANG! Bummer that your brother missed. Think about it, he was trying to end it and now he may spend the rest of his life in agony in the hospital or on some machine keeping him alive. If he thinks his life sucked before...

But enough about that.

In a weird way, I'm diggin' this COVID Bullshit. Traffic is lighter, restaurants are not packed, people are keeping their distance, its a buyers market on some things, ugly people are hiding their hideous faces and when some douchebag mumbles something stupid through his/her mask I ignore them like I didn't hear or understand. Just yesterday I responded to some young lady who was mumbling incoherently through her mask by waving my hands around like I was speaking American Sign Language. She apologized and moved along. Plus fewer and fewer people attempt to shake my hand which I have thought was a really stupid greeting anyway.

Embrace this stupidity!

Have to agree with the ole slipster. This social distancing has been a blessing in some ways. Not all of us need justification or acceptance in our daily lives whether through social media or interaction with others.

Life is tough. Focusing on what is wrong and not giving your problems to God who is greater than all of our problems put together is a recipe for disaster. Everyone gets tough problems in life. Some just cannot deal with it. Sad. But as previously said life goes on and we must too even when it seems impossible.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links