Arguments for the Value of Prepping
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Arguments for the Value of Prepping within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Iím sure this has been addressed at some point in this forum, but Iíve had trouble with a specific search using the search bar... Earlier ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Arguments for the Value of Prepping

Iím sure this has been addressed at some point in this forum, but Iíve had trouble with a specific search using the search bar...

Earlier tonight, I had a discussion with my mother. She lives about 700 miles away and is our official out-of-state contact. Still, she thinks Iím a lunatic when I mention gardening, security, etc.

She insists Iím prepping out of fear and that fear is a bad motivation. She ďsupportsď her argument by saying the govít will step in to help if things go awry. My only response is that I only trust myself and my husband Ė but itís usually to no avail.

Overall, I tend to keep a lot of what Iím actually thinking to myself when chatting with her.

Sooo.... what do yíall think? When it comes to prepping, what is your argument for its benefits? Just curious.

Prepping out of fear means you're not prepared at all, and when SHTF you head down to the local Sams Club or Costco only to find it empty of the necessities.

Prepping, done correctly, is a methodical method to make sure you have what you need when it's not available.

If she thinks the gubbamint is gonna step in and save everyone, ask the folks who endured Katrina. Or Sandy. Or the recent California wildfires.
    Michael_Js, Slippy, Annie and 1 others like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Prepping out of fear means you're not prepared at all, and when SHTF you head down to the local Sams Club or Costco only to find it empty of the necessities.

Prepping, done correctly, is a methodical method to make sure you have what you need when it's not available.

If she thinks the gubbamint is gonna step in and save everyone, ask the folks who endured Katrina. Or Sandy. Or the recent California wildfires.
    Oh yeah. I lived on the MS Gulf Coast during Katrina. That was definitely a story I brought up. The only people who really stepped in then were members of the community. But even that was limited.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Just the recent few months should have shown her the need to have extra supplies on hand......for times such as those when the store shelves were empty. Whether because of a pandemic, civil unrest, war or natural disaster or even a personal hardship....having a few extras put back will always come in handy.
    StratMaster and Slippy like this.

A good relevant question would be "So when the shutdown occurred and the store shelves were empty, how did that work out for you?"

The only things I went out for was not for need but just things I wanted.
    Annie likes this.

I've got to get the wood ready for winter........

Every government throughout history, without exception, has failed its people. The scale might be small, or it might be monumental. It could be during famine, it could be during flood, it could be during scorching heat or bitter cold. Or worse, it could be on purpose and genocidal.
    Anyone who trusts their government doesn't know their history.

Trusting government is like trusting a crocodile. Keep it at a good distance, and you'll live longer.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I research and write a free news blog (ResetUs.us) that only deals with the collapse and reset of the financial system and our government. Been at it for several years.

One cannot do this type of work without first being a Prepper for the family; you would lose your mind.
    I sleep well at nights.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

My wife suffers from normalcy bias. I don’t think she trusts the government, but she believes that nothing too bad will ever happen and she doesn’t believe in or support my prepping ideas. Recently, when the lockdowns started and shelves were becoming bare, she started to get a little scared. She got that “deer in the headlights “ look. But we were fine and wanted for nothing. Around here I was able to get most anything we wanted and even get take-out lunch a couple times a week. I already had everything we needed and we could have done just fine by not venturing out at all. Now that the panic is over and it really didn’t cause us any problems at all, she has reverted back to her old mindset. “See! Nothing bad really happened”. So I just ignor her and continue plodding along with my plans. Obviously, she can see our shelves stocked full of food, But I don’t really discuss the details of my plans and supplies with her. Just do your own thing and keep skeptics in the dark.
    Prepared One, SOCOM42 and Annie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Every government throughout history, without exception, has failed its people. The scale might be small, or it might be monumental. It could be during famine, it could be during flood, it could be during scorching heat or bitter cold. Or worse, it could be on purpose and genocidal.
    Anyone who trusts their government doesn't know their history.

Trusting government is like trusting a crocodile. Keep it at a good distance, and you'll live longer.
    This can not be said strongly enough, or often enough.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links