Rabbit Starvation: What Our Forefather's knew
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Rabbit Starvation: What Our Forefather's knew within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hi All! I was once a preparedness/survival blog writer. Because of the uncertain times we are currently living through, I've dusted off articles that might ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Rabbit Starvation: What Our Forefather's knew

Hi All! I was once a preparedness/survival blog writer. Because of the uncertain times we are currently living through, I've dusted off articles that might be of use. The subject of "Rabbit Starvation" is at the top of the list because it isn't discussed often enough--rather, it has been lost along with so much our forefathers were aware of, but seems to have been forgotten. I have shortened the original article--requirements at the time of writing was 1,500 words or longer!

So here goes . . . and please don't shoot the messenger!

A diet consisting of only lean meats can lead to malnutrition accompanied by the following symptoms: diarrhea, fatigue/weakness, headache, low blood pressure and low heart rate.
    The human liver can metabolize between 285 to 365 grams of protein each day and the kidneys can become overloaded when having to process large amounts of a byproduct of protein cannibalism called urea from the bloodstream. Exceeding the protein limit of what the human body is able to process robs the body of the ability to maintain energy balance UNLESS including fat or carbohydrates in the diet.

Eating only lean meat (and too much protein) has been shown to lead to death in a few weeks. Luckily, storing foods high in fat will combat Rabbit Starvation. Be sure to stock a selection of foods that will provide fats to your diet. When putting aside seed for gardening (we should all be doing this in case food storage runs out), make sure to include corn seed and whole grains that offer the fat we need in our diets.

Don't think it could happen? Consider a time when people must forage for food, competing with wildlife for nourishment--grains, berries, and other wild-growing edibles. As with humans, food scarcity will burn fat reserves in animals, which are burned in order for them to survive. Next, an animal’s body will begin to cannibalize muscle mass. The final result of long-term food sacristy will leave an undernourished animal with lean meat reserves. Lean meat leads to Rabbit starvation, or if you prefer, Protein Poisoning.

No matter how healthy we strive to be, the kicker is that our diets must also include fats. 60 Grams per day to be exact. This is the reason why food storage plans often suggest storing canned fish like tuna fish and sardines that are packed in oil rather than water. Likewise, items like peanut butter, mayonnaise, virgin olive oil, coconut oil, corn, whole grains, cheese, milk, eggs, chocolate, brown rice, nuts, and freeze-dried and canned meats are popular food items to include in a long-term food storage plan because they provide the necessary fats and calories we need to stay healthy.

Nutrition and calories will be especially important during a crisis when our activity levels increase by necessity. We will need to haul water, hand wash laundry, fill tubs for bathing and general clean-up, chop wood, cook our meals over a camp fire, camp stove, or a wood cook stove, patrol our property, hunt, fish, garden, preserve food, and do activities that will require walking once the gas tank runs dry…and stays dry. All of these activities will burn a large amount of calories that must be replaced to avoid a debilitating weight loss that will leave us weak and unable to perform the many chores necessary for survival.

If our storage shelves are stocked with a variety of foods that contain the necessary fat requirement, and our plans for a garden includes things like corn and whole grains, we’ll fare much better than if our only emergency food plan involves wild rabbit or other game that may be too lean to keep us healthy.

That's why you should raise guinea pigs. Like I've posted in the past.

https://modernfarmer.com/2015/12/cuy/
    Denton and itstimetobunker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

Chickens
    itstimetobunker and Annie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

Eating my girls' pets?
    If you're not listening to "The Denton and Sasquatch Show", you're not on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Eating my girls' pets?
    Lewis and Clark became fond of dog and horse meat on the Corps of Discovery expedition. To the point favored of elk.
    itstimetobunker and Annie like this.

Eating my girls' pets?
    I REALLY needed a laugh this morning. Thank You : )
    Annie likes this.

Another option is get a fishing pole. Most fish skin on has enough fat.

If you are planning on dehydrated survival foods I suggest that you add your own fat to it.

Armour Lard is animal based whereas other brands are vegetable fat. Stock up on several cans of the lard for flavoring and the fat needed, especially in the winter.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

That's a fact! Have been storing cooking oil- put aside since 2009 and still still good--out of sunlight and fairly cool conditions. Fried up, fish is delicious!

The Good Cop

Eating my girls' pets?
    Eat the hen, and you're hungry again soon.
    Let her lay, and she'll feed you for years. Good protein.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links