What Did You Learn About Your Level of Preparedness From COVID19 Nonsense?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What Did You Learn About Your Level of Preparedness From COVID19 Nonsense? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So, it appears that this COVID19 government lockdown nonsense may be winding down for now. It, or something similar, will surface again. So what did ...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

So, it appears that this COVID19 government lockdown nonsense may be winding down for now. It, or something similar, will surface again.

So what did you learn about your LOP (Level Of Preparedness)?

I'll start;

Mrs Slippy and I realized that we had more than the basics covered and for the most part our lives did not change that much.

What we did venture out was mainly for;

Meat, Eggs, Fuel (Diesel), Booze and Luxury Food Items like Ice Cream or a Specific Brand of Some Item (I may have mentioned Mrs S loves Palmetto Brand Cheese Spread and only a few select stores seem to carry it in our area so we would classify that as a luxury food item) You get the picture.

The rest we had covered. Did we add some items to our Stores? Yes, but only because we did not want to reduce what we built up. Based on what we consumed and what we had stored, I believe we could have gone at least 18 months and never batted an eye if Shit Had Hit The Fan in a much great Velocity than this Chicom Nonsense .

So I would give ourselves a solid A-

Now, what to do the next time to be prepared?

THAT is the QUESTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    So, it appears that this COVID19 government lockdown nonsense may be winding down for now. It, or something similar, will surface again.

So what did you learn about your LOP (Level Of Preparedness)?

I'll start;

Mrs Slippy and I realized that we had more than the basics covered and for the most part our lives did not change that much.

What we did venture out was mainly for;

Meat, Eggs, Fuel (Diesel), Booze and Luxury Food Items like Ice Cream or a Specific Brand of Some Item (I may have mentioned Mrs S loves Palmetto Brand Cheese Spread and only a few select stores seem to carry it in our area so we would classify that as a luxury food item) You get the picture.

The rest we had covered. Did we add some items to our Stores? Yes, but only because we did not want to reduce what we built up. Based on what we consumed and what we had stored, I believe we could have gone at least 18 months and never batted an eye if Shit Had Hit The Fan in a much great Velocity than this Chicom Nonsense .

So I would give ourselves a solid A-

Now, what to do the next time to be prepared?

THAT is the QUESTION!
    What did I learn? That if this would have been the new normal and last indefinitely...….I didn't have enough stored already. BUT what I did have would have lasted us for 4 to 6 months...…...good thing I didn't use it though, so it's still there, and I've been adding to it. Most of the food we've been eating during the shut down, was bought fresh to stay away from my stash.

But I also learned the things I was low on like tp, paper products, water & purifier, other things to drink like soda, Gatorade, etc. IOW, food is covered, but everything else is not

It was a bit like going to the school of hard knocks, gives the test first, then the lesson. Quite a few holes in my preps. Nothing major but still holes.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 04-30-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It pretty much reinforced that we are on the right track. Only stock things we use all the time. No special 50 lb bags of rice for example. Have our supplies setup for easy rotation to keep it fresh. Sure we used some of our stuff but resupply regularly to maintain a level. Proved to ourselves that we could go a long time. Especially if rationed it more closely. With little to no change in life style or eating habits.

Didn't get into a emergency plan B. Which would involve shooting wild game, scavenging or raiding. Never got to test weapons or vehicle preps but know I'm good to go. So I'll give myself a solid B+.

I'd give myself a B-. Was well stocked on food, but was short on water storage.

That deficiency has been corrected already.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

We have plenty of TP. And could get by if we ran out
    We can go a month more it we need to easy with out changing our eating habits with out going to the store
    We did not have to run out at the last minute and buy a gun
    We had plenty of ammo
    We learned when furnace quit the wood heat worked fine and the spare parts fixed the furnace.
    At least for something like this we are well prepared.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Didn't notice any difference...ran out of nothing. Didn't shop any more, or less, than usual. Saved a ton of gas $$$$ not traveling every day to work...Spent what we needed on what we wanted...Other than working at home and the 6' distances at Costco and stuff, wouldn't know the difference. Oh, and the panic the media is causing and the continued worthless corrupted politicians in this liberal state (again, no difference than before the pandemic)...

Oh, 1 difference, since I am always home, and the wife is always home, we're always home together Not a bad thing, but we've had to work through sharing the same office since she always works from home.

Peace out,
    Michael J.

What I have found is that I lack on short term items, such as canned stuff, which is not part of my true SHTF stores.

Short term meats is another, the frozen ones, one thing that disappeared was breadstuffs, Wally World bakery closed down.

The large and small tortillas flew off the shelves, when I went out the next time there were some, I grabbed some and froze them.

I have been out of here 4 times since 1 march, mostly for meds, now they are being mailed to us.

Now I have had for a long time the flour and press to make my own if needed, grabbed 30 pounds of AP flour in early march.

In those times out I grabbed a total of 120 pounds of rice, and a 80+ cans of navy, great northern and pinto beans.

Those two items are for active use, not storage, have plenty of rice and dried beans put away for long term.

I did grab 20 pounds of spaghetti for interim use early on, now there is none at all on the shelves.

There is no baking powder, baking soda, yeast, flours, veggie oils of any sort available in the three stores I go to.

I have gone out in the mornings during the old geezer hour at the different stores,

It is the best time to get stuff before the nuts strip the shelves bare.

The other unexpected come up short things are butter, paper towels, sanitizers, and disinfectants,

I do have plenty of dry and liquid bleach in store.

Have plenty of lab grade 95% ethyl alcohol, 75% isopropyl and iodine, which I have used to make a hand sanitizer with.

Now when I say short on the PT, I mean that I have only a three months supply, TP, a lifetime's worth is stored.

I did read the tea leaves back in early march, bought accordingly then, glad I did.

Never had to break into any long term storage items as of today.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-30-2020 at 08:42 AM.

I didn't really consider this much of a learning experience, as life in general didn't change much. Yes, the shut down has killed my business, but the government just printed some more money, so we are OK for the next few months. Otherwise, I drove to work each day, shopped once or twice a week, and purchased anything I needed except for hand sanitizer or disinfectant spray/wipes. TP was not available every time but I'd say about half. Not that I needed it, as I have cases in storage.

Only part of my prepping that was tested, was the part dealing with infection control specific items... such as masks, gloves, etc. So while the whole world is out hunting for or making half ass masks, I sit on cases of n95 masks plus lots of half face respirators with even better filters. I've just used a tiny part of those masks, so good to go for a long time... especially by disinfecting them & reusing. I don't mind reusing as here in rural Mississippi, there just is almost no sick folks and our hospitals are not the least bit overworked. I was able to purchase gallons of hand sanitizer from one of our vendors that switched over some of their chemical production to sanitizer. Still have enough commercial disinfectant for the home and haven't had to hit my stores to make my own. Every prepper should have plenty of pool shock in storage.

So for this pandemic, so far I say ho hum.
    Last edited by Redneck; 04-30-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    What did I learn? That if this would have been the new normal and last indefinitely...….I didn't have enough stored already. BUT what I did have would have lasted us for 4 to 6 months...…...good thing I didn't use it though, so it's still there, and I've been adding to it. Most of the food we've been eating during the shut down, was bought fresh to stay away from my stash.

But I also learned the things I was low on like tp, paper products, water & purifier, other things to drink like soda, Gatorade, etc. IOW, food is covered, but everything else is not
    I found I'm short on pretty much the same things as you, but we only have enough food stored to last, maybe, four months and that would be managing it carefully.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links