What Did You Learn About Your Level of Preparedness From COVID19 Nonsense? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Did You Learn About Your Level of Preparedness From COVID19 Nonsense?

This is a discussion on What Did You Learn About Your Level of Preparedness From COVID19 Nonsense? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We were set. TP? Cases of it out in the hay shed. Paper towels same-same. N95 masks? On hand when everyone could not find any ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    The Good Cop

We were set.
    TP? Cases of it out in the hay shed. Paper towels same-same.
    N95 masks? On hand when everyone could not find any and were trying to make masks out of coffee filters. We don't wear them, and going into town the vast majority of people we encounter don't either.
    Food? No problem here.

As far as self isolation, Florida and Georgia did not enforce this, and my wife and I are isolationists as a normal course of life anyway.
    As an example, the best fried chicken place on the entire planet, Quick Chic in Folkston, Georgia, closed the dining room, but we always get it to go anyway. Nothing changed - I walk in (no mask), order at the counter (they wore no masks either), pick up order, go back home.

Bottom line - nothing much changed in our little world. But i miss not getting my monthly haircut. I'm beginning to feel like a hippie.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

We are pretty much hermits here, have been for a long time, by choice.

We go nowhere except for grocery stores and doctors occasionally.

My business is located just outside my home and has been so for almost 40 years.

Work it part time only now, just to keep active, 8-12 hours a week, 4 of those starting in an hour.

The only thing that changed is the hours we shop, from afternoons to early morning ones.

In the state as of yesterday there are 60,265 reported cases with 3,405 deaths, more than California has.

This county has 5,300 cases half of which are within 13-15 miles of me.

These numbers help keep me at home more than normal.

Twice a day I monitor my temp, BP, pulse and O2 saturation, all are normal and hopefully will stay that way.

Every other month I do blood test, RBC,WBC, retic, platelets, etc.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-30-2020 at 11:21 AM.

First off, it's not wineding down, it's just beginning. I learned that there is a huge difference between a real prepper and the average person that preps when there is a crises already happening. I also learned no matter how thoroughly you prepped, there are still more things you discover during the crises that you didn't prepare for that wish you had.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Is it over? With Tennessee starting back up, I think there might be another resurgence in this neck of the woods once the local hillbillies start running around again. People around here think it was all a big hoax.

We were fine. Added a bit to the cans & boxes stash and kept fresh food restocked with our weekly trip. Tried bi-weekly once but that really put dent in the ability to eat fresh. We're always good for TP, wet wipes and paper towels but I did want for more lysol/clorox wipes. Didn't run out but going forward I'm increasing par levels for peace of mind.

As vendors restock I will get another couple hundred N95's but haven't used what we had - saving them for a true need. I will add a few 3M 6000 series respirators as well when they're available.

My BIG takeaway was the need to become my own supply chain for fresh food. To that end, I'm getting all my ducks in a row to start adding raised beds and containers for vegetables. I have seeds and other supplies ordered. Summer is downtime in the Deep South for gardening so I'll have the next few months to get everything set. I also have a chest freezer ordered. I want those extra 10cf of freezer space to allow for more diversified food stores.

In terms of what I HAD been planning for, I'd give myself an A-
    In terms of what I WILL be planning for, I'd give myself a C

I've been saying since January - this may be our one and only test-run. I've done a lot of observing these past few months: from federal/state/local responses to how my immediate family has reacted. I'm not going to let this opportunity go to waste because I believe something truly nasty is out there and it's a matter of when, not if.

We were good on staple supplies. Not so good on luxury stuff. I consider paper products luxury, and that was the only thing we were really lacking in. We never ran out, but it could have happened if we hadn't found TP during our normal shopping.
    We made bread by hand when the store had no loaves. We bought another bag of rice and of beans to store away when they showed up again.
    I took time to go through our shelves and get a better inventory of items. Medical stuff was decently stocked, but a few more masks wouldn't have hurt since I gave some to my folks.
    Grocery shopping has been pretty normal so far.
    We tried to keep things as normal as we could for the sake of the kids. We've yet had to go to "hard mode" to get by. No cracking open of the food buckets, no filtering our own water, no security rotations.

Life has been pretty normal.

Then the cat pissed in my sock drawer this morning, and S*$T HIT THE FAN!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    So, it appears that this COVID19 government lockdown nonsense may be winding down for now. It, or something similar, will surface again.

So what did you learn about your LOP (Level Of Preparedness)?

I'll start;

Mrs Slippy and I realized that we had more than the basics covered and for the most part our lives did not change that much.

What we did venture out was mainly for;

Meat, Eggs, Fuel (Diesel), Booze and Luxury Food Items like Ice Cream or a Specific Brand of Some Item (I may have mentioned Mrs S loves Palmetto Brand Cheese Spread and only a few select stores seem to carry it in our area so we would classify that as a luxury food item) You get the picture.

The rest we had covered. Did we add some items to our Stores? Yes, but only because we did not want to reduce what we built up. Based on what we consumed and what we had stored, I believe we could have gone at least 18 months and never batted an eye if Shit Had Hit The Fan in a much great Velocity than this Chicom Nonsense .

So I would give ourselves a solid A-

Now, what to do the next time to be prepared?

THAT is the QUESTION!
    Think we learned we wasnt very prepped. Trusting the Lord to see us through this mess. Will try to do better next time..if there is another next time. So far we still have water food and plenty of ammo and we are highly pissed off at retarded Liberals.

I wonder how much of the general population suddenly realized how ill-prepared they were and might be a bit more inclined to be more proactive.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

I learned I need to find other means for meat, I cleaned up the deep freeze in the garage and plan on putting as much meat as I can in there. I am in the IL Valley 80 miles southwest of Chicago in the cornfields and we still had an issue with people buying everything even now weeks after this its still issues.
    1 Timothy 5:8 New International Version (NIV)
    Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I wonder how much of the general population suddenly realized how ill-prepared they were and might be a bit more inclined to be more proactive.
    Probably not nearly enough but every person/family that does will be an asset. When folks are lining up the night before (and sleeping in their cars) at the free food stations across the country - that paints a pretty clear picture of the sad state of affairs we're in as a nation. The poor, of both money and mentality, will never prop themselves up but I do have some hope for those on the razors edge that want to and can do better going forward.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links