What has changed lately in your area?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What has changed lately in your area? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I would like to discuss what’s been changing around you post pandemic to help everyone get an idea of what’s going on more as a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I would like to discuss what’s been changing around you post pandemic to help everyone get an idea of what’s going on more as a whole. As the name states I’m here in Texas and monitor a police scanner regularly and we have had quite the boost in activity in our somewhat quiet little town. As expected ambulance calls have been ever increasing for respiratory issues and the JP is going out more to deal with deaths. Crime as well has seen an uptick and domestic disputes are to be expected with everyone staying at home but even the wilder things are seeming to be more prevalent. Meat is looking a little thin today. I went and picked up my fair share but took two stores to get the amount I wanted and the pickings were slim as far as cuts especially at Walmart where I ended up first. HEB is more local to us and they had a good bit, but I noticed a lot, and I mean a lot of it coming out behind me when I was checking out. I’m sure many know about the meat plants having issue and are acting accordingly, hell thats why I was there. All in all it seems that humanity in my area is stressed but not quite at the breaking point yet.

In our town, also in Texas, you'd hardly know anything was wrong.
    Walmart, Target, HEB, Kroger, all full lots. Restaurants with drive-thru lines wrapped around the buildings.
    The shelves were a bit scarce for a while there, but it's nearly all returned to normal, except for those few items people still panic buy. (toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, hand sanitizer, gloves, masks)

We happily broke "recommendations" and went out to the inlaws' place yesterday for fishing, dinner, and catching up. Felt normal... felt good. Everybody was under 45 years old, so we didn't worry about anything.
    I still haven't been able to hug my mother or shake my dad's hand, as they are pushing mid-60s and wanting to keep their distance. Understandable. Mom has been dealing with a nerve issue the past two weeks that causes her left side to go numb for 8 or 10 minutes at a time, so that's been upsetting. Hard to comfort someone over video call...

Things are getting along fine. Governor's latest conference said things will start opening up, and he doesn't anticipate extending the stay at home recommendations.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

No stress here, but then again I live in rural Mississippi. Stopped by Walmart on the way home and typical of lately, no hand sanitizer or spray disinfectants. Not a lot of TP but plenty of paper towels & Kleenex. Pretty much any meat you want. I picked up a big pack of boneless, skinless chicken thighs & a couple of packs of ground chuck. People are staying 6' apart and hope that never changes. My county has had 41 confirmed cases & 2 deaths. Ho hum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

West Virginia here. Grocery stores are full, fast food drive thrus are full, and traffic flow feels normal. Geographically speaking we're isolated so I feel like our isolation has kept our case numbers low, so it doesn't seem like people are fearful of going out. I get a sense that people are stir crazy, which keeps the stores that are open fairly busy.

The wife works at a super target. I went grocery shopping Friday and they had some toilet paper, paper towels, no hand sanitizer and the meat was pretty scary. The Tyson frozen stuff was empty, pork was OK, beef was sparse and fresh chicken was pretty vacant too. I went and picked up a half of a steer today from our local processor and put it in my freezer. Buy beef and chicken now if you have the means. If the power goes out have a decent generator outside to keep the freezers rolling.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Glad to hear things are well. Sorry about your mom Kauboy, that sounds tough. I’m curious to see how things go with meat here. Seems like that could get rough, who knows. Lots of people yanking fish out of the water here too so maybe they will leave the grocery stores alone ha!

A week or two ago our streets had very little traffic. Now it’s picking up. More and more people are going out. We only have 21 cases in our county and I think folks are starting to realize it’s not the “end of the world” as stated on the TV. The governor’s “stay at home” order is being ignored and a lot of people are not wearing masks. Still no TP or sanitizer, but everything else is on the shelves. The governor says outside construction restarts Friday and the rest of phase one will start May 8.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    I noticed more traffic today on the way to the boat. My wife has her office downtown and she said there was more traffic although less that “normal”.

My HEB didn’t have lines and was very well stocked (including TP). I think the only thing I’m seeing is restaurants not fully open. Feels like more normal times. People are ready to get back to normal and back to work.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Super Moderator

OP funny you should ask this and have had the experience you've had. I work in a large county (approx. 750,000 people) and the cops around here are bored. We had some stop by my work the other day to help with some traffic control and they were telling me how quiet and boring its been. Just yesterday, when I left work, some guy decided to have a police chase. They had him pulled over and on the ground on the street I work on. There must've been 25 cop cars there and about 30 cops standing around. They were all wanting some action so bad they ALL showed up when they heard "pursuit".

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post

We happily broke "recommendations" and went out to the inlaws' place yesterday for fishing, dinner, and catching up. Felt normal... felt good. Everybody was under 45 years old, so we didn't worry about anything.
    I still haven't been able to hug my mother or shake my dad's hand, as they are pushing mid-60s and wanting to keep their distance. Understandable. Mom has been dealing with a nerve issue the past two weeks that causes her left side to go numb for 8 or 10 minutes at a time, so that's been upsetting. Hard to comfort someone over video call...

Things are getting along fine. Governor's latest conference said things will start opening up, and he doesn't anticipate extending the stay at home recommendations.
    Shhhh....don't tell anyone but we went to a bbq/pool party on Saturday. I don't want my Governor to find out because he will chastise me and maybe put me in jail.

Attachment 105825
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

I am seeing more and more traffic around Houston as each day passes. Crime is way up but I am not so convince that's from the China bug as it is a result of our liberal judges and politicians. The little NAZI county judge ordered mandatory masks but the Governor kinda took the teeth out of that yesterday.

Hit and miss on the meats, Wally World had limited choices but Randall's and HEB is OK with only a few items missing. TP, paper products in general, sanitizers, and cleaning products are scarce. Still no ammunition or guns.

The Governor said we can open up beginning Friday at 25% occupancy so that should help. Most people are wearing masks in public and exercising the social distancing thing. For the most part people are calm. If the bug doesn't have a resurgence and we have to shut down again, a possibility the MSM keeps harping on, we should be good. I am not so much worried about the bug as I am about what we did to the economy.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 04-29-2020 at 03:14 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links