Bread making question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bread making question

This is a discussion on Bread making question within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We tried making bread with one of those automatic bread making machines. We used all purpose flour and the loaf tasted OK but was very ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bread making question

Bread making question

We tried making bread with one of those automatic bread making machines. We used all purpose flour and the loaf tasted OK but was very heavy and coarse. The bread crumbled easily. Would using bread flour make our home made loaves lighter, more like store bought bread?
    bigwheel likes this.

Did you sift the flour first ?

No sifting. Is that recommended?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes, that tends to make the bread more fluffy.
    Chiefster23 and Slippy like this.

Check the directions on the machine, . . . or check the mfg on line, . . . but my guess is bread flour would make a difference.

Plus, . . . you have to remember you are not putting all the other "junk" the bread makers have learned to put in it in the past 100 years to make it last for 5 days on the shelf before anyone buys it.

Your home made bread is the real stuff, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Chiefster23 and MountainGirl like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have used those machines. Sifting will make it fluffier and a slight bit more liquid will keep it from being dry.

I always watch it when in the kneading portion and add a sprinkle of water or flour depending on what I see.

Berad flour will make a little difference as it, I think, is "lighter" anyway.

Just my 2c

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Chiefster23 likes this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    We make our own bread... and love it.

But we’ve also noticed it’s more difficult to get flour, especially bread flour.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    We tried making bread with one of those automatic bread making machines. We used all purpose flour and the loaf tasted OK but was very heavy and coarse. The bread crumbled easily. Would using bread flour make our home made loaves lighter, more like store bought bread?
    All purpose flour is not the ideal thing to use, make tortillas out of it as a last resort.

I use General Mills All Trumps and GM Full Strength for bread making.

The problem with APF is the lack of gluten.

The gluten is what holds the bread together.

I use APF as a thickener and a coating mix for southern fried chicken.

Then you may not used enough or have yeast that is going bad, that will cause a lack of Co2 bubbles in the mix.

Look at the GM site, they list the flours and what is best for each product, bread, cakes, pastries, ect.

I have been using their bread flours for 30 years, with excellent results.

I have never sifted any of these flours for the breads, sifting is fine for pastries, use the right product.

Most days, like today, when lazy, I will throw the mix in my machine for a french bread to go with dinner.

I did not start out with a machine, I bought one two years ago, for convenience.

I have a an oven adaptor for my wood stove that I use in the winters.

In this oven I have a small drip device that generates steam to cover the bread, read about somewhere.

I just looked at the place where I buy most of my restaurant type supplies.

THEY ARE SOLD OUT OF ALMOST EVERY BULK FLOUR OF 25-50 POUNDS, NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 03-25-2020 at 09:30 AM.

I have noticed flour is sold out around here too. But this will pass, hopefully soon. Then I will buy some bread flour for my preps.
    dwight55 likes this.

Bread makers differ, and can add a good number of variables to the process. I'd find out if your ingredients are good first by doing a loaf by hand. I watched a video where a guy compared breads made from "bread flour" versus "all purpose flour", and his end results were nearly identical. He wanted to see if there was any justification to paying the higher price for bread flour when making basic white bread. He found none.

I'm a bit unclear on the purpose of sifting flour. The particles are not large enough to remain unsettled and have air pockets between them, and mixing them into a dough will eliminate any "fluff" that may have existed. You would certainly break up any chunks, so maybe there is a benefit as far as that goes.
    I didn't sift the flour in my latest handmade loaves, and they came out great. I can't compare to my breadmaker at the moment, since we've lost the paddle mixer that goes in the bottom.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links