You Didnít Have to Prep - I Did
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on You Didnít Have to Prep - I Did within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Most of you didn’t need to prep for the corona virus. Most of you are well prepared. I am too, but at home or on ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By stowlin
  • 2 Post By MountainGirl
  • 2 Post By A Watchman
  • 1 Post By stowlin

Thread: You Didnít Have to Prep - I Did

Most of you didn’t need to prep for the corona virus. Most of you are well prepared. I am too, but at home or on my boat. In November 19 I flew from Dublin to San Francisco. I took a cruise to Hawaii over thanksgiving on the Grand Princess. We shared Christmas with old friends and after New Years my wife flew home. I have 5 special clients in the SF Bay Area I need to keep in touch with and I do so face to face. One was ill. He had a heart attack and is in a rehabilitation facility still. He is the kind of person I stay in town to help.

Flying in to SF means I carried no firearms. A couple of suitcases means I had few preparations with me. On Sunday the 19th of January I read that US officials began screening people at international airports from China. All because 75 people had a flu like bug. Being here on this forum, being concerned with preparations I honestly felt a bit panicked. Do I abandon my friend and fly home to Ireland immediately. Fear of flying was real then and it’s terrifying now.

My lodging is a long term stay residence inn. A single room, open kitchen and dining. It would seem I can stay as long as I want. On Sunday the 19th I logged onto amazon.com and I spent about $200 on reusable masks with replaceable filters, the N99 kind, goggles, 400 count 5 mil gloves, a package of doggie pick up bags, hand sanitizers, rubbing alcohol, and some food items: nuts, jerky, energy bars mostly. On Monday the 20th I visited Costco and bought water and TP. I also got some pasta, rice, lintel package soups, and stocked up the residence inn. I carefully noted with out serious rationing I had a three week calorie supply. I’ve since upped that to 8. That day, the 20th, I drive a rental car across the bay bridge East to a gun store. My CA drivers license is still valid to my marina address in SF. I have my passport, and a rental agreement with the residence inn. The gun store wasn’t sure it would fly with CA but with lots of fees, a written test, COE background check they took my credit card for nearly $900 for a CZ Rami, extra magazine, and 150 rounds of quality defensive ammo. I wouldn’t know for 10 days if that would fly.

On Monday night the 20th I shopped eBay. Bought two incredibly cheap back packs, pocket knives, water filters, chemical treatment for water, emergency supplies like the blankets, first aid kits, matches, flashlights (I did have one) and more. All in all I only spent $122 on eBay and had two bug out bags going. I’d keep one with me and one in the hotel. The 10th day came and my purchase government approved I now carry the loaded Rami with me in the bag I have with me.

I am extraordinarily lucky in life to be able to afford this, and get myself prepped quickly. Now comes the decision. Do I fly March 15 as planned, ticket purchased, or not? I have options. I can drive to Texas where my brother and firearms are stored with other preps and certainly be safe, but my wife is alone in Ireland. I hate that and want to get there. I could still do the drive instead and fly from there instead of SF. Is flying to risky? I’m 55 good health, don’t smoke or drink (much) so chances are I’d survive this bug. I could fly to Dublin and check into a hotel for a few weeks before going home in case I get it and don’t want to share with my wife. I’ve even contemplated driving across the country, buying a quality sailboat and making the trip across the Atlantic again (yes I love that sail run it’s the greatest to me - is this an excuse to do that again)? Maybe. I’d sale the boat upon arrival. Best time I’d August / September so no rush. Or just glove up, goggle up, mask up, and get on that plane? I’d leave the Rami and supplies with my client / friend. That’d be good for my next trip in two years.

I found it interesting one who considers himself as prepared as can be was caught so unprepared. Embarrassing actually. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by stowlin; 03-08-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Most of you didnít need to prep for the corona virus. Most of you are well prepared. I am too, but at home or on my boat. In November 19 I flew from Dublin to San Francisco. I took a cruise to Hawaii over thanksgiving on the Grand Princess. We shared Christmas with old friends and after New Years my wife flew home. I have 5 special clients in the SF Bay Area I need to keep in touch with and I do so face to face. One was ill. He had a heart attack and is in a rehabilitation facility still. He is the kind of person I stay in town to help.

Flying in to SF means I carried no firearms. A couple of suitcases means I had few preparations with me. On Sunday the 19th of January I read that US officials began screening people at international airports from China. All because 75 people had a flu like bug. Being here on this forum, being concerned with preparations I honestly felt a bit panicked. Do I abandon my friend and fly home to Ireland immediately. Fear of flying was real then and itís terrifying now.

My lodging is a long term stay residence inn. A single room, open kitchen and dining. It would seem I can stay as long as I want. On Sunday the 19th I logged onto amazon.com and I spent about $200 on reusable masks with replaceable filters, the N99 kind, goggles, 400 count 5 mil gloves, a package of doggie pick up bags, hand sanitizers, rubbing alcohol, and some food items: nuts, jerky, energy bars mostly. On Monday the 20th I visited Costco and bought water and TP. I also got some pasta, rice, lintel package soups, and stocked up the residence inn. I carefully noted with out serious rationing I had a three week calorie supply. Iíve since upped that to 8. That day, the 20th, I drive a rental car across the bay bridge East to a gun store. My CA drivers license is still valid to my marina address in SF. I have my passport, and a rental agreement with the residence inn. The gun store wasnít sure it would fly with CA but with lots of fees, a written test, COE background check they took my credit card for nearly $900 for a CZ Rami, extra magazine, and 150 rounds of quality defensive ammo. I wouldnít know for 10 days if that would fly.

On Monday night the 20th I shopped eBay. Bought two incredibly cheap back packs, pocket knives, water filters, chemical treatment for water, emergency supplies like the blankets, first aid kits, matches, flashlights (I did have one) and more. All in all I only spent $122 on eBay and had two bug out bags going. Iíd keep one with me and one in the hotel. The 10th day came and my purchase government approved I now carry the loaded Rami with me in the bag I have with me.

I am extraordinarily lucky in life to be able to afford this, and get myself prepped quickly. Now comes the decision. Do I fly March 15 as planned, ticket purchased, or not? I have options. I can drive to Texas where my brother and firearms are stored with other preps and certainly be safe, but my wife is alone in Ireland. I hate that and want to get there. I could still do the drive instead and fly from there instead of SF. Is flying to risky? Iím 55 good health, donít smoke or drink (much) so chances are Iíd survive this bug. I could fly to Dublin and check into a hotel for a few weeks before going home in case I get it and donít want to share with my wife. Iíve even contemplated driving across the country, buying a quality sailboat and making the trip across the Atlantic again (yes I love that sail run itís the greatest to me - is this an excuse to do that again)? Maybe. Iíd sale the boat upon arrival. Best time Iíd August / September so no rush. Or just glove up, goggle up, mask up, and get on that plane? Iíd leave the Rami and supplies with my client / friend. Thatíd be good for my next trip in two years.

I found it interesting one who considers himself as prepared as can be was caught so unprepared. Embarrassing actually. Lesson learned.
    Wow stolin, thanks for sharing that; you've got a lot to decide on.

I know your questions were rhetorical and not necessarily meant to be answered - but I feel compelled to say one thing.

WE DONT KNOW - when this will go wide spread here; or if flying now is more risky than driving and interacting w/public in the process later; but most importantly we don't know if or when all (if not most) of international travel will be stopped; some domestic flights have already been shut down. Maybe you have a couple weeks, maybe a couple months. Driving across the US to sail home in August if the population is in panic? Hmmm... again, who knows when or what will happen.

Your wife is in Ireland. Will they close up? Personally, because there's no way to know for sure - I'd want to get to my spouse. Now.
    Your idea of flying home Mar15, renting a room for a few weeks, is a really good idea imo - and at least you're home. Whatever comes after that, you can handle together.

Best of luck, keeping us updated if you can would be most appreciated. ((hugs))
    MG
    stowlin and Renec like this.
    Ready. You?

Good luck in your endeavors.
    stowlin and Renec like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Good luck indeed!

My client is home, today, safe and sound. He even has a gun and ammo to go too now if he needs it, and I’m flying out in a few hours. Good luck USA. I’m going to spend three weeks in the boat alone when I get home.
    Slippy likes this.

SGG

If you're looking for an opinion... If this got worse who would you want to spend your last days with? Once you figure out who that is, you will know what to do.
    Good luck and great story.

Sponsored Links