Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care.

This is a discussion on Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; “Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care.” You are in good company, I think ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care.

“Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care.”

You are in good company, I think we all battle the family and friends who think we are nutcases. Regardless of your plan forward press on and don’t let them phase you. Even when you are alone as I have found myself in this journey don’t stop, do what you know is right and take solace in your decision to take care of your family.
    MountainGirl and charito like this.
    "Every day above ground is a good one" Author KO

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Eagle View Post
    Edit.

I do not feel safe.

I cant sleep.

It's hard to do everything in an instant - it takes time to build up - so, don't fret about it.

I started with a two-weeks supply (with the scenario that there would be no power/electricity).
    I don't know how your allotted budget for prepping is like, but start with the very basics:
    bottled water, ready-to-eat non-perishable food (does not have to be cooked), prescription medicines you or a family member needs,
    toilet paper, flu/colds medicines, candles and matches.

Be aware of the nutritional value of your foods. Check the expiration date! Here are the foods I started with:

Pea Soups
    2 large Peanut Butter
    Extra loaves of bread in the freezer (make sure you use them and replenish them so you'll always have a fresh stock)
    Soda crackers
    Oatmeal (you can soak them overnight to be eaten without cooking)

From there, you can build up by adding foods that require minimal cooking, like:

Minute noodles, cup-o-noodles (I stock up on Nissin Ramen - it has lots of protein)
    Pasta sauces
    Kraft dinners
    more bottled water
    More peanut butter/crackers/jam
    more canned soups
    Condiments
    Vitamin supplements, more variety of medicines

....and then, start building up what other things you'll need for long-term (including those that are not food items).

Don't forget, if SHTF - the first things you'll eat are what's in your fridge (those that will spoil)! Then, the ones in your freezer.
    You also fill up containers with more water (if it's still available), including your bathtub.
    So.....two-weeks supply is really easy to achieve if you count on what's in your fridge/freezer.

You use your stockpile only when you have to.
    Last edited by charito; 03-09-2020 at 04:55 AM.
    Renec and MountainGirl like this.

Like others have said prepping is a process. It is just about impossible to do quickly, (unless you have lots of money) especially when others have started to panic-- in my area some items are already impossible to buy. I would start with basic groceries that have a good shelf life. Since some items are already gone you may have to go with more expensive items that do not have a long shelf life such as protien bars, meal bars ect.. We have a store in our area that always does BOGO-- so I am always buying stuff I do not need right away just so I can get the good price (peanut butter, soup, canned veggies).

Buy some water if you can find it but more importantly find a way to collect and filter water. We have rain barrels that collect year round and we have personal filters to use should we need to drink the collected water. We use the collected water for the garden instead of running the hose. You may be able to find a water BOB "bathtub water collection 100 gallon container" that can be filled if you feel like your city water water will be disrupted.

When this crisis is over continue to collect and plan so that next time you are not running with the masses.

If you and your girlfriend stay together, make sure she understands why this is important to you. When my husband first started I thought he was a bit nutty, now I see the importance. He takes care of guns, ammo, tools, and creative solutions and I take care of the food items. We work as a team and are training our daughter to also live the prepared life style.
    Renec and MountainGirl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Eagle View Post
    Edit.

I do not feel safe.

I cant sleep.

Oh my goodness, for the start-up, I forgot to add PORK and BEANS! A complete meal in a can!! Get lots of that - they're cheap, too!
    Renec likes this.

My wife has been complaining to her Boss at work about my prepping for what may come shortly .... being shut in if this virus spreads locally. The wife says it is just the flu and doesn't really care. She didn't even get her flu shot this year.

You've received a lot of good info on this thread alone. Lots more by searching a topic.

Think of prepping in terms of a time line. What do I need to survive for the next ten minutes? Ten hours? You get the idea.

One other item that has already been mentioned. If you can't defend it, you don't own it.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.
    MountainGirl, Slippy and charito like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyLOZ View Post
    .... If you can't defend it, you don't own it..
    That. ^^^
    Slippy likes this.
    Ready. You?

Quote Originally Posted by SEOhioPrepper View Post
    My wife has been complaining to her Boss at work about my prepping for what may come shortly .... being shut in if this virus spreads locally. The wife says it is just the flu and doesn't really care. She didn't even get her flu shot this year.
    Let me get this straight...

"Your wife has been complaining to her Boss about your preparations?" Evidently she didn't give two chits about the vows that she said at your wedding? Time to cut the bitch loose...

(Slippy's Marital Counseling...For Fun and For Free!)
    Chiefster23, SGG and Renec like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOhioPrepper View Post

Wow! She’s telling people at her job that you have food and supplies stored up. Guess who’s coming to your house when things get bad? I don’t mean to offend........ but your wife is a dumb ass.
    SGG, Slippy, MountainGirl and 1 others like this.

Great information indeed.

I have added a ton of water in a very short period of time i am confident the water will last a typical lock in but still have work to be done.

I am really nervous, i know it is inevitable for it to hit our state but people are taking very unnecessary actions by inviting family from Chicago to visit and Chicago has already started their outbreak.

I just do not understand, i believe this is due to incomplete transparency from state and fed gov being not completely honest.

Places should have had acted with more urgency and aggression when cases were first noted. Imo.

Well, more coffee for me. I am reading all of this information and taking note.

Thanks, have a Safe and Well Regulated Day!

-W.E.
    Renec likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links