PRACTICAL SHOPPING or How to extend your prepping budget
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on PRACTICAL SHOPPING or How to extend your prepping budget within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Buy regular soap instead of "anti-bacterial soap." It's marketing. Soaps advertised as anti-bacterial tend to cost more than the regular soaps, but they're just the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: PRACTICAL SHOPPING or How to extend your prepping budget

Buy regular soap instead of "anti-bacterial soap." It's marketing. Soaps advertised as anti-bacterial tend to cost more than the regular soaps, but they're just the same.

What about plain old soap? We tried both regular and antibacterial soap. We found they were about equally effective, and the CDC says they're about the same at preventing illness. But though the soaps might be about the same, It's how you use them that's crucial.

Studies show most of us only spend five seconds at the sink -- and that's not enough. When we tested a five-second wash, the petri dish samples from before and after washing looked virtually the same. You have to wash your hands for a full 20 seconds to really get the bugs off
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/germs-...ry?id=18412092
    Denton and rice paddy daddy like this.

For a truly effective hand sanitizer, get ALCOHOL-based (at least 60%) hand sanitzers.

CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The guidance for effective handwashing and use of hand sanitizer in community settings was developed based on data from a number of studies.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs.

Why? Soap and water are more effective than hand sanitizers at removing certain kinds of germs, like Cryptosporidium, norovirus, and Clostridium difficile1-5. Although alcohol-based hand sanitizers can inactivate many types of microbes very effectively when used correctly 1-15, people may not use a large enough volume of the sanitizers or may wipe it off before it has dried 14.
    Hand sanitizers may not be as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.

Why?
    Many studies show that hand sanitizers work well in clinical settings like hospitals, where hands come into contact with germs but generally are not heavily soiled or greasy 16. Some data also show that hand sanitizers may work well against certain types of germs on slightly soiled hands 17,18. However, hands may become very greasy or soiled in community settings, such as after people handle food, play sports, work in the garden, or go camping or fishing. When hands are heavily soiled or greasy, hand sanitizers may not work well 3,7,16. Handwashing with soap and water is recommended in such circumstances.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show...sanitizer.html

How to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers, which don't require water, are an acceptable alternative when soap and water aren't available. If you use a hand sanitizer, make sure the product contains at least 60% alcohol. Follow these steps:

Apply the gel product to the palm of one hand. Check the label to find out the appropriate amount.
    Rub your hands together.
    Rub the gel over all the surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...g/art-20046253
    Denton likes this.

Different types of toothpaste had appeared in the market - "Improved," or "Advanced," etc.., It's marketing!

I use Colgate - so I checked and compared the differences between Colgate TOTAL and the new ones that they brought out (reading what they're supposed to be for, and reading at the back of the product (those fine lines that you could hardly see).

Hardly any difference except the price!
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Par-boiled rice from Uncle Ben and par-boiled rice in bulk are just the same!
    I found a big bag of a brand called "Mr Goudas" - a big difference in price!

I also buy the Store's signature brand instead of brand names when it comes to pancake mixes and syrups.
    Usually, it's about a dollar difference of savings per item, and quality is the same. I get Compliments or Great Value brand.

Incidentally, Compliments version of its chili mix powder is the best (for our taste, imho). This brand has quite a lot of quality items:

Compliment's version of Kraft Dinner (extra-creamy) is great! Especially when you add some tomato-based pasta sauce like
    Garden Select (I stock up only on this brand - buying it only on sale) to make it like a Rose' sauce, or turn it into a beef casserole!
    It's ala-Hamburger Helper - but even better!
    Garden Select seems to go on sale twice a year (a dollar each), one near the end of summer, and just recently about 3 weeks ago.

Their line of pasta (spaghetti, macaroni etc..), I find, is even better than Lancia! I gave all my prepped Lancia brand away - the texture is more starchy - maybe they changed their recipe, or were too old? Now, I'm only buying Compliments.
    Last edited by charito; 03-04-2020 at 05:17 AM.

OK, I have done the petri dish experiment,

requires three washings and with a scrub brush to get them germ free for a while.

Type of soap made no difference.

A quick wipe with an alcohol sanitizer as a last op to finishes the job, I do this when running any lab experiments.

I also use a UV light for 30-60 seconds.

I buy Irish Spring in bulk, so that is what I use.

Every time I am at the hospital or the doctors offices I use every jell dispenser in the place as I walk along.

When I walk out, I take a double shot at the door and never touch the handles or elevator buttons with my hands.

Right now one of these places is running COVID-19 vaccine experiments, I worry more about other lethal stuff.

We go through a 20 pounds of rice here a month, use to buy the Carolina brand bulk bags at BJ's.

They now have an off brand there @about 20% less in price, will buy a 100 pounds of it today when we go.

There is no difference in the rice that you can taste or see, or food values stated between them.

I will not buy par boiled rice, long grain polished rice only.

More details after our trip.
    charito and Denton like this.

Also, use elbows to push buttons in public places (like elevators).

Also at public washrooms, after you washed your hands and dried your hands, use that paper towel for the handle of the door. Toss it in the nearest garbage bin.
    Last edited by charito; 03-04-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    SOCOM42, Denton and Michael_Js like this.

Btw, I'm eating rolled oats that's been dated 2016!

I've repackaged it in double freezer bags (with basil and bay leaves in between freezer bags (bug repellant), and a few strips of paper towel in the oats (prevent moisture) - as advised by someone from this forum), and removed as much air as possible - the oats look and taste beautifully fresh! You'd think it's brand new!
    Last edited by charito; 03-04-2020 at 07:14 AM.
    MountainGirl likes this.

coupons

Couponing
    charito likes this.
    Be a Berean

"Relieves headache, fever, minor aches and pains, dry cough, nasal congestion, runny nose and sneezing."

I'm reading from a box of "FLU COMPLETE," right? Nope.

That was from a packaging of EXTRA-STRENGTH COLD MEDICATION. That was the fine line print at the back of the package.

So...... looks like cold medicines and flu medicines are practically the same, except the price.
    I notice that flu meds advertise that same line boldly upfront, whereas cold meds list it at the back. Compare.
    Last edited by charito; 03-04-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links