Alternative options for medications and other materials ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Alternative options for medications and other materials ? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Ive been meaning to ask this for a while but I think ive been concerned about what the answer may be. Lets say everything falls ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Alternative options for medications and other materials ?

Ive been meaning to ask this for a while but I think ive been concerned about what the answer may be.
    Lets say everything falls apart worst case and theres a shortage of pharmaceuticals.
    I have a couple items I wouldnt be able to live without. At least not without a lot of discomfort.
    The first is antihistamines. Ive been taking several a day for the last 10-15 years. My current dose is about 40mg of citerazine per day. If I run out of these I start to itch and break out in hives within 1-2 day. Absolutely nothing else stops the itching. The doctors have identified the problem and tell me theres no solution. Last time I had to go without the antihistamines for a blood test. By the second day it was so bad I sanded large areas of skin off and it had no effect on the itching. Now In have scars from that. I was moments away from using a blowtorch to stop the itching them I gave in and took the antihistamines instead. Theres really no way to effectively stockpile enough antihistamines for a prolonged situation. Sooooo im pretty worried about that. Im trying to find alternative sources possibly naturally available antihistamines ?

The other item which isnt as significant. Is tooth paste for sensitive teeth. This I could probably stockpile enough for a few years but id like other options. I brush once a day if not more my whole life and I have by far the worst teeth out of a family of non brushers... Hmmmmm makes you wonder huh. If I stop brushing with the sensetivity protection stuff it doesnt take long before my teeth are almost too sensitive to eat or drink. They start to feel odd and I pick at them and the enamel actually comes off. The dentist says they dont know, it probably just genetics...

So I was hoping some folks might know some other options. I also got thinking about other items we use on a day to day basis and if there are lists available of alternative options like a chemical equivalency list sort of thing.

Thanks!
    survival and TG like this.

Super Moderator

You say that your doctors have identified your allergy, but there is no solution.
    I know many folks who's allergies have become more manageable or completely gone away just because they moved to a different climate.
    Any chance a change of scenery might ease the symptoms?
    rickkyw1720pf likes this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

fear is the mind killer.

are the hives fatal, if not why not learn to resist the urge to itch..

if society breaks down enough to stop medical supplies, you have bigger problems than an itch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm with you Blackcat... I also have big concerns with this. I have asthma... not really bad like some, but debilitating at times. The only over the counter is Asthmanefrin at $50 a pop so I did some research. Try this site for more info: Armageddon Medicine - Survival Medicine | How to be your own doctor when there's no other choice
    Blackcat likes this.
    When the zombies eat you, can I have your stuff?

I have a medication that if I go 24 hours without, I will die.

First off, thank you for starting this thread. I've been approached by others with the same question. Also, there are a lot of people out there that don't prep because they are dependent on medications and have told me they would simply give up and die if SHTF happened. The only thing I can say is stock up as much as possible and if its a prescription medication then you can usually get refills a week (or at least a few days) before you run out. From there, start using the oldest medication first and stack the rest. It will take awhile to build up, but you can generate years worth of medication this way. I have a years worth of medication from doing this. Hopefully I would be able to support my family for a full year until my "D-day" and hopefully law and order will be back to normal.

Unfortunately pharmaceutical companies and the medicine industry does not put this in perspective. I would like to see FEMAs plan about people needing serious life dependent medications (I'm sure this hasn't even been brought to the table).

I'm going to ask my doctors and give them the scenario (what if disaster happened, what would I do) and see if there is anything they can override to get at least another "extra month out" of medication. I've been out of the medical field for some time and I'm not up to date on policies, but hopefully some of the nurses (and/or any doctors on here) on here can chime in?

In regards to your teeth... I know several people who have brushed all their lives and have terrible teeth and some members in the same family that don't and have perfect teeth, so I know where your coming from. and it does make me wonder. My neighbor is a dentist I'll pick his brain about it.

One thing I would continue to find out about is your itching issue. The year is 2014 and they can't figure it out, but they can get down to the single atom of DNA? Sounds like some doctor needs to hustle on this issue. It could be clothes (cotton or synthetics) as well as water. My mothers friend is allergic to treated water and breaks out, so she has a well and gets her water from that to wash (herself and clothes) with.

Hope this helps.
    MrsInor, NoobMom and Blackcat like this.

Retired Moderator

I accidentally dropped 3 weeks worth of medicine down the drain. I called the Doctor and explained what happened, a refill was called in. Gee I am so clumsy.
    Kauboy, CrackPot and Blackcat like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Blackcat - you might ask your doctor to do the tests for Sjogren's Syndrome. The itching and sensitive teeth can be symptoms. I have periods where I itch for some time when I know nothing has changed in soap or detergent use, foods etc. that the doctor has said is my Sjogren's. Some of the issues come and go.
    Blackcat likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

We already know that if SHTF in a big way two of our group will not be alive with in 1 year and nothing we can do about it. Medication does not stored long and can not be home made. Sometimes you just have to face facts no everyone will make.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    Unfortunately pharmaceutical companies and the medicine industry does not put this in perspective. I would like to see FEMAs plan about people needing serious life dependent medications (I'm sure this hasn't even been brought to the table).
    They are the government. They have a plan for everything.
    Sadly, this solution most likely involves large holes in the ground and an ammunition budget.
    Smitty901, Will and sparkyprep like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    We already know that if SHTF in a big way two of our group will not be alive with in 1 year and nothing we can do about it. Medication does not stored long and can not be home made. Sometimes you just have to face facts no everyone will make.
    what are their conditions and medications?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links