Alternative options for medications and other materials ? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alternative options for medications and other materials ?

This is a discussion on Alternative options for medications and other materials ? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The pill halfing thing works well, if your doctor is OK with it. Lots of people did that when Lipitor wasn't generic and was quite ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Alternative options for medications and other materials ?

The pill halfing thing works well, if your doctor is OK with it.

Lots of people did that when Lipitor wasn't generic and was quite expensive. So if the doc wanted 40 mg daily, he'd give you a script for 80 mg "use as directed" effectively giving you 60 days of medicine for a 30 day copay.

Totally cheating the insurance company...but they screw us enough anyway. :thumbup:
    NoobMom and survival like this.

Yeah, insurance companies are dfinitely the biggest problem. Only thing worse is a doc who won't cooperate. The only issue we face now is how to store the stuff so as to maximize the shelf life and potency.
    paraquack likes this.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

I figure that in a true SHTF no medications will be available long term. I am currently researching possible herbal remedies And a herb garden. Might be the best I can do.
    Blackcat likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

After the pharmacist talked to the insurance company they paid for it.
    survival likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

One of my meds is 540 cap for 90 day supply. Usually the pharmacy give me a new bottle of 500 plus the 40. As wit most meds like to be stored in cool and dry. and the full bottle comes with an oxygen absorber, so If you can, repack in vac bag or small mason jar with oxygen absorber.
    Last edited by paraquack; 11-14-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Several years ago when I did not have insurance for a time I did take advantage of the "overseas pharmacy" option and order some of my meds that way. The result is that a I have a big container of my main medication that is still about half full. The cost of that big jug was about $35. So its something to look into. Admittedly, the meds I need are not the closely watched kind, where you are going to have a very hard time accumulating much of a reserve. Pain meds in particular are going to be hard to stockpile.

Yarrow Oil (cheapest on ebay) is super powerful.
    My wife has given birth the natural way twice. The second time she started to bleed right after we delivered the placenta. We put one drop under her tongue and all the bleed and cramping completely stopped within 3 minutes. A 3 year old boy we know took a nasty spill and gashed his forehead open, about 2". On a 3 year old, this was a large gash, and a lot of bleeding. This needed stitches, by any measure. Soaked a Qtip in Yarrow Oil and applied directly into the wound. Not only did the bleeding stop, the pain also seemed to dissipate, either that or the bleeding stopping was enough to calm him down to normal within a few minutes... Either way, it was magical. I've got dozens of similar stories, but just order a bottle or two, it really goes a long way. I can get the brand name I use if anyone is interested.

One cure for minor bleeding is Alum. This is a natural mineral and used to be sold as 'Styptic pencil' for use on shaving cuts. You wet the area and apply a little and bleeding stops.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links