China Coronavirus and Economic Concerns
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on China Coronavirus and Economic Concerns within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Good afternoon all. I have, like many of you I am sure, been following the Coronavirus outbreak over in China. I am paying close attention ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: China Coronavirus and Economic Concerns

Good afternoon all. I have, like many of you I am sure, been following the Coronavirus outbreak over in China. I am paying close attention to their response measures and am using that to tell me how bad things are VS the numbers they are officially reporting. (If you couldn't tell, I think the numbers are bunk)

One of the things that I have been paying attention to is how they are closing factories and quite a few of them. Quarantining millions, folks aren't able to go to work and that doesn't seem to look like it is going to change anytime soon.

While I am only slightly concerned about the virus itself, I am becoming more concerned about the economic implications that greatly minimizing the manufacturing capacity of the worlds largest exporter is going to have on the US. I do not think that the virus will become a huge problem here in the states but I do think that abruptly shutting off the import tap will cause shortages and price hikes here.

Just checking the temperature of the group, many of your are much smarter than I am in regards to economics. Is this something that is on your radar? Is anyone stocking up on any items, and if so what would be the most prudent, in case we see a slow down in imports that affects us here?
    Marica and Slippy like this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

We get our antibiotics from China. Might be a good idea to stock a small supply of the more common ones. Also, China supplies many of our other drugs. If you have a serious condition it might be good to stockpile some extra meds if possible and stock up on over the counter meds for common ailments. We don’t refine lead in this country due to pollution laws. Car batteries might get more expensive or in short supply.
    Prepared One and Green Lilly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    We get our antibiotics from China. Might be a good idea to stock a small supply of the more common ones. Also, China supplies many of our other drugs. If you have a serious condition it might be good to stockpile some extra meds if possible and stock up on over the counter meds for common ailments. We don’t refine lead in this country due to pollution laws. Car batteries might get more expensive or in short supply.
    This is a good idea. I read up on it and am shocked at just how dependent we are on China for medications and ingredients to medications.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@Green Lilly I share your concerns.

Like everyone here, we are trying to keep up with the information but are highly skeptical of such. But frankly, I've no idea where to begin thinking about what to do beyond what we already do. Except for making sure that DH has plenty of hand sanitizer for his office!

WRT the economics-- one thought is that the greedy little bastards tend to, as they say, never let a crisis go to waste. Gone are the days of the filthy rich philanthropists. So I can see prices going up on all sorts of stuff, especially electronics. One the other hand, the greedy little bastards are just that. So in terms of shortages which would affect consumer confidence/consumption, I do not think I'd be too worried. Where there's a will-- the will to make $$-- there's a way.

Here's another thought. Of all of those consumer goods coming out of China, what percentage of them are even close to being essential-- for REAL? Here would be a useful exercise. Go back and look at your Amazon history for the past year or so and ask yourself, "Could I have lived without that?". I am literally LOL-ing. So set aside the things for the kids and grandkid, and maybe the cool knives, (and maybe the portable solar panel) and there's not a thing that came from China that I couldn't have lived without. Sure, the very cool noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones come in handy, but really? Point is, if there is a serious economic impact who's going to be impacted? People whose lives revolve around this stuff.

I suppose looking more globally you could think TEOTWAWKI-- severe shortage of the gizmos that keep ATMs running, or electricity flowing, coupled with sheer incompetence, and we could be starring in the final chapters of Atlas Shrugged. But I'm not seeing it. Then again, I'm an optimist.

Interesting topic.
    Prepared One and Green Lilly like this.

As far as I'm concerned, stop ALL imports into the US from China. It would be the best thing to happen to our economy. Time to cut the commie bastards out completely.

Here ya' go.

China Coronavirus and Economic Concerns-screen-shot-2020-02-11-1.17.09-pm.jpg

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/11/jeff...twitter%7Cmain

Article says it was a "pre-arranged" sale b/c yes, I believe everything I read.
    MountainGirl and Green Lilly like this.

Here is a really good article I found that discusses what we may see in regards to material shortages or price hikes if this virus drags on.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...2kvCEmxWbuj1cE
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    This is a good idea. I read up on it and am shocked at just how dependent we are on China for medications and ingredients to medications.
    Why are you shock? People want their stuff free or as cheap as it can go. You get it cheap with cheap labor and zero regulations. That means China.
    SGG and MountainGirl like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

As far as I am concerned,they manufactured it and it got out of control.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

Downside of all this, countries and people in them wake up and figure out they need to make their Stuff at home. At least more of it. That farming it out to China so they can avoid the cost of regulations and labor is not worth it. But they won't.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links