Unusual winter
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Unusual winter

This is a discussion on Unusual winter within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Here in the mountains of PA it has been a very unusual winter. Here we are at the end of January and the ground is ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Unusual winter

Unusual winter

Here in the mountains of PA it has been a very unusual winter. Here we are at the end of January and the ground is not frozen. I have only had to use a snow shovel once and all the rest of my snow removal tasks have been completed with a broom. This is not normal but I’m not complaining! I just looked up the forecast for the next week and temperatures are projected to rise into the 40s and maybe 50s. I know some of you have been getting hammered with snow and cold temps but here things are pretty good. Looking at seed catalogs I noticed I am now in growing zone 6. A few years back we were considered a 5. I’m looking forward to the day I can grow palm trees and oranges in the back yard and permanently retire my snow shovel.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Mild here it must be global warming. Only had to snow blow twice and Im liking it I like global warming bring it!
    Chiefster23 likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

It's been unseasonably warm here in Houston as well. While we are not known for our winters we usually get a few weeks where there are freeze warnings and maybe even get a little dash of snow. 50's and raining here today. That's the norm.
    hawgrider and Chiefster23 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Just a rotation in weather it happens over and over again. We have had a mild winter . Last year about this a week ago it was well below for 80 hours. We had extended 23 below with wind chill of 50 below. Neither last year or this year is unheard or something new.
    hawgrider and Chipper like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Back in the 70s it was necessary to drop the frost line depth to 4 feet from 3 feet. It’s all cyclic. Next year we might be a zone 4 growing area. @Chiefster23 and I are in the same area. I wouldn’t hold my breath about growing anything tropical here.
    Last edited by Camel923; 01-30-2020 at 06:10 AM.
    hawgrider and Chiefster23 like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Very mild weather, although 5o F this morning.

Wood pile is still well stocked.
    hawgrider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Very mild weather, although 5o F this morning.

Wood pile is still well stocked.
    Sure nuff ready for some 50's here. That's durn near perfect weather for working without sweating.
    paulag1955 likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Sure nuff ready for some 50's here. That's durn near perfect weather for working without sweating.
    Kind of weather if you are cold, you're not working hard enough!

I'll be putting up cordwood and lumber/logs if the ground stays frozen. Or pruning the orchard.

EAB has hit the ash hard here. Shame to make it all firewood, I have a small sawmill.

I wonder what will happen with the maples? was hoping to do some syurp.......
    hawgrider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Kind of weather if you are cold, you're not working hard enough!

I'll be putting up cordwood and lumber/logs if the ground stays frozen. Or pruning the orchard.

EAB has hit the ash hard here. Shame to make it all firewood, I have a small sawmill.

I wonder what will happen with the maples? was hoping to do some syurp.......
    Good question. Late February is normally maple time round here and it will be interesting to see how the sap harvest is.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

Few years back we rode motorcycles through X-mas and into the first week of Jan in northwest WI. Even rode jet ski on X-mas eve once. Got caught riding snowmobile in Iron River WI first week of Feb in 55 degree weather. Trail turned to a muddy river, barely got back to the trailers. Of course this was before global warming and warm weather in winter was welcomed. Not a sign of impending doom.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links