Electric water well pumps
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Electric water well pumps within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If your electric water well loses electrical power, is there a way to switch to propane or operate manually?...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Back Pack Hack
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Elvis
  • 1 Post By dwight55

Thread: Electric water well pumps

If your electric water well loses electrical power, is there a way to switch to propane or operate manually?

Yep. They're called generators.
    Robie, Slippy, rstanek and 3 others like this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Shallow wells can be hand pump easy, it may take a while to get all the water you want. Then can be power with small generators. Some even by battery with solar. If you live in an area with deep wells like 400 feet it becomes a new game.
    Wife grandfather use to pump water by jacking a car up and running a belt off the drive wheel to power the pump.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 01-23-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    dwight55 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes. Where I live we are all on wells and the power goes out occasionally for several days at a time. Every home has a 4500 watt or larger 220v gas. propane, or diesel generator that can be hooked to the well pump if needed. A few use whole house LP (propane) generators. I use solar myself but a properly sized gas generator can provide a lot of well and household electricity it you've got enough fuel. The correct sized generator depends on your well pump motor size. Considering the "start up surge" figure at least 2500 watts per hp of pump motor size, a bit larger generator may be worth buying because larger well pumps have a huge starting surge.
    Last edited by Elvis; 01-26-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    dwight55 likes this.

You can buy deep well hand pumps from Bison, but they are not cheap.

Any well over 28 feet deep cannot be pumped by a normal hand pump.

There are some that will . . . but as stated they can be pricey.

Mine is 149 feet deep, . . . and I need to do something about it this spring / summer, . . . pump is dead in it now.

The other thing you might consider is a windmill, . . . it can be fixed to fill a tank and when the tank gets full, . . . it mechanically disconnects the pump, . . . although the wind blades keep turning.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

As Dwight mentioned, normal hand pumps reley on atmospheric air pressure to work. I imagine at high altitudes the effective depth is less.

For shallow well you can fabricate pumps cheaply
    Attached Files Attached Files

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Windmills

I have mentioned this is previous threads here but there is a company called Simple Pump that has developed a hand pump that can go deep. It will be able to fill a pressure tank. Also you can get solar electric add on. You can check them out at simplepump.com If your well pipe is big enough 6" or more then this can go right down the same pipe as your regular setup. If you are handy the installation is not difficult, they have installation instructions and videos on the site. As an example the estimated cost for a simple pump with a static water level of 250' it would be about $2,700.00 plus about $250.00 shipping.

al

Try a company Called Grundfos. They are thought to be the leaders in Solar Energy Pumps.

https://www.grundfos.com/market-area...solutions.html
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Sponsored Links