Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm sure this has been covered before but... . Is there anything out there that would serve as an automatic emergency backup to power deep ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions?

I'm sure this has been covered before but... .

Is there anything out there that would serve as an automatic emergency backup to power deep freezers?

Here's the situation. There are two freezers in the garage. During an extended power outage, we cycle them on and off periodically-- depending on the time of year-- using the 5500W generator. Remember, we're in Mississippi so it can be cold as crap (only cycle them on once a day if the daytime temps are above freezing, and apologies to those who think above 0 is balmy) or hot as hell (more frequently-- the #1 reason we have a generator is to preserve what's in the deep freezers).

This is no big deal so long as we're here at the Farm and are in control of the situation.

If we are traveling, we always have trusted friends looking in on things (& cats). But our most trusted local guys are all connected with emergency management. In the event of an extended power outage event, they've got more important things to do than check in on our freezers (& cats).

So what I'm looking for is something that plugs into an AC outlet and into which the freezers would be plugged, senses when the AC current is no longer flowing, and provides backup power. Ideally it would have some sort of delay related to time & ambient temperature: [If temp >40 and time >6hrs, then on 1 hr., off 2 hrs.]; if temp <40 and time >12hrs, then on 1 hr., off 12hrs.] or some such.

Both freezers are relatively large.

Is there any such thing out there? And if so-- what's it called?
    Annie and Slippy like this.

Automatic transfer switch (ATS). You'll need an alternate source of power, though.
    Prepared One likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Super Moderator

What sorts of food do you keep in the freezers? Is canning an option?
    Let us use the time as best we may.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Marica,

How about a Natural Gas or Propane Standby Generator?

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...r/p104679.html

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    What sorts of food do you keep in the freezers? Is canning an option?
    My freezer is veggies and flour and soups... DH's is meat. That's the rub.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Marica,

How about a Natural Gas or Propane Standby Generator?

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...r/p104679.html
    Yeah. We've been looking at the whole house versions of this. Might be time. Would have to tie it into the LP tank and suppose the guys down at the LP store know how to do this. See that the transfer switch is not included.

Thanks, Slip
    Slippy likes this.

Automatic transfer switches are used all the time. When the power goes off the switch will automatically switch to generator power. You can have a control that would run it based on hours or temperature as well as level controls. Municipals do it all the time. Talk with a generator suppler or contractor. They can fix you right up.
    Marica likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Yeah. We've been looking at the whole house versions of this. Might be time. Would have to tie it into the LP tank and suppose the guys down at the LP store know how to do this. See that the transfer switch is not included.

Thanks, Slip
    I hired the company that installed a 22KW Generac for my disabled sister....propane....everything included, including a full tank of gas....$6000.00 that was 3 years ago.

They have a 3 bedroom ranch...everything is electric and have a spare freezer in the garage.

I was told she could run everything at the same time and the generator would handle it.

Comes on once a week for 12 minutes to keep things lubricated.

It comes on probably within 15 seconds of the power going out...maybe sooner.
    Slippy, Prepared One and Deebo like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post

Thanks, Slip
    I hired the company that installed a 22KW Generac for my disabled sister....propane....everything included, including a full tank of gas and transfer switch and hookup....$6000.00 that was 3 years ago.

They have a 3 bedroom ranch...everything is electric and have a spare freezer in the garage.

I was told she could run everything at the same time and the generator would handle it.

Comes on once a week for 12 minutes to keep things lubricated.

It comes on probably within 15 seconds of the power going out...maybe sooner.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Any sort of battery backup/inverter system to run two freezers for any amount of time would be very expensive, more than the cost of the whole house LP generator with a transfer switch.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links