Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Marica Yeah. We've been looking at the whole house versions of this. Might be time. Would have to tie it into the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Automatic emergency backup electricity for deep freezers | Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Yeah. We've been looking at the whole house versions of this. Might be time. Would have to tie it into the LP tank and suppose the guys down at the LP store know how to do this. See that the transfer switch is not included.

Thanks, Slip
    Make sure your LP system can supply both the pressure and the flow of any genny you're thinking of. This is one thing many people overlook.
    Slippy, Marica and Prepared One like this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

As you may have noticed I prefer to make most of my own electricity but for less than a few weeks backup electrical supply a hardwired auto start propane powered Generac generator is hard to beat.
    Last edited by Elvis; 01-17-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

This company has made affordable home systems for years that work very well. Generac Power Systems - Backup Power for Your Home with Generac Home Generators. Today most want LP or natural gas power systems .
    Some may wish to consider diesel power ones but if you do go with an older one that does not require the low sulfur fuel .
    Slippy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Just an FYI. My supplier for home heating oil and off road diesel recently told me that starting next year home heating oil will have low sulfur requirements. Just how low, I don’t know. I know off road diesel already has low sulfur requirements. Bottom line, everything will get more expensive and it may not be so important to have a diesel that can burn high sulfur fuels. I would bet than no new diesel generator engines are produced now are capable of running on home heating oil. You would have to buy an older engine or perhaps a military diesel genny.
    Smitty901 and Marica like this.

Lots to learn. Thank, all!
    Smitty901 likes this.

Older diesel were a lot simpler. Many could be made to run on oil and gas mixes if there was no diesel fuel. Some could be made to run on other oils. The older Detroit diesel were a two stroke design they made great stationary power sources that were simple to work on. They were also not fussy about quality fuel. Fuel can be carried in with easy. LP or natural gas not so easy. If maintained older diesel engine will run a life time. LP and natural gas tend to ear faster.
    Older military power source were tough . But if you purchase one often they were heavy used . best to go through and rebuild it like new and start fresh. It would be around long after you are not. They are not as efficient as new stuff but you can still work on them.

Example of a Detroit diesel They could be had with or with out a blower. They have nothing but a simple gear pump for a fuel pump. The injectors control every thing. Because of the design they are outstanding of power source made to sit and run at a steady speed.
    Really easy to work on.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I'd recommend caution and due diligence in choosing a generator, then be prepared to "buy once cry once" too. The Generac home models are strictly Emergency Standby Power (ESP) rated generators, using them for Prime (PRP), e.g., off grid use, voids their warranty. Standby only generators duty rating is maybe 50-60 hours a year, Prime power is rated for up to near continuous 24/7/365 use if needed.

For my 2 cents, I've owned 4 generators in my life, 3 Hondas and a Generac. Still have all 3 Hondas and they're still running. The newest one is a 2006 , bought for our off grid home (LP, Honda GX engine, 9.5kW, home standby), and it has over 7,000 running hours on it. The Generac 5000 watt portable was a POS, died with less than 200-300 hours of use on it. When our whole house Honda finally does die I'm looking at this one for it's replacement: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p51063.html Honda GX engine and prime power rated.
    Prepared One and Marica like this.

An automatic traqnsffer switch needs a generator that someone will fire up or that fires up automatically.
    So Robie's plan is the only suitable alternative unless you spend a whole heap of money on solar
    and batteries.
    Marica likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Having been responsible for emergency generators for fire stations and suicide pumps for firefighting and other emergency locations the system you are looking for has been well defined. For example, Generac can help you put together a reliable system because you would need a logic installed that would counter a failure to start, restart, timing out, delay, shut down, exercise..., all of the logic that is built into their automated systems. Use your existing generator for other things (we use ours as a portable pump for firefighting, as a driver for the welder and as a chain saw system for clearing and mitigation.)

Quote Originally Posted by marineimaging View Post
    Having been responsible for emergency generators for fire stations and suicide pumps for firefighting and other emergency locations the system you are looking for has been well defined. For example, Generac can help you put together a reliable system because you would need a logic installed that would counter a failure to start, restart, timing out, delay, shut down, exercise..., all of the logic that is built into their automated systems. Use your existing generator for other things (we use ours as a portable pump for firefighting, as a driver for the welder and as a chain saw system for clearing and mitigation.)
    Thank you, Sir.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links