"I'll get on the roof and get someone to save me."
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on "I'll get on the roof and get someone to save me." within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This is monumentally stupid. And pardon the rant. As I mentioned in comments elsewhere, there's a county lake near here. We've had a lot of ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 6 Post By Marica
  • 4 Post By Slippy
  • 3 Post By hawgrider
  • 1 Post By Prepared One
  • 3 Post By Old SF Guy

Thread: "I'll get on the roof and get someone to save me."

This is monumentally stupid. And pardon the rant.

As I mentioned in comments elsewhere, there's a county lake near here. We've had a lot of rain. The the levee has structural problems. The levee runs N-S and has a two lane road on it. (By my measurement on google earth, the levee is about 1/10th of a mile wide.) On the advise of the county engineer et al., the NWS declared a flash flood warning for areas to the east (broadly construed) of the levee.

They are working to pump water out of the lake, and there was no rain to speak of yesterday. So they've lifted the warning.

The quote is from a newspaper interview with an old guy and his adult son who've lived right there their entire lives. He says he doesn't know what all of the fuss is about. Floods there all the time, no big deal. Shoulda been worried last weekend when it flooded.

JFC. Do you not look at the paper? Watch TV? The problem is not that it's going to flood. Not that the lake is going to rise and top over the levee. The problem is that the bottom of the f-ing levee is being pushed/washed out. They are on the look out for "dirty water" at the bottom on the side opposite the lake. You can see the slides.

I swear. Who remembers the old Foxworthy joke about why do they always interview the lady in rollers and a mumu?

Old dude just turned 70-- had to relocate his birthday party on account of the flooding last weekend. In 70 years in Mississippi have you not seen anything wash out? Not worried one bit.

Stupid.

I am not an engineer but I have a common sense appreciation for the force of 500+ acres of water. Scratch that. With the rain it's now 900 acres. So you're going to get on your roof, huh? Now just how are you going to accomplish this feat? Have you thought this through? And once on your roof, is your house going to withstand the force of that flooding water? Really? And you're going to "get" someone to save you? How are you going to do that? Oh. Shit. your phone fell out of your pocket while you were climbing on your roof.

FYI. 1 ft3 (one cubic foot) of water weighs 62.4 lbs. 1 acre is 43,560 ft2. Assuming a depth of only 1 foot (and I'd bet the lake is at least 20' in some places), that would be ~2,718,000 pounds. Sure, the water can back up to the west (that's why the size of the lake is greater than it was) but that's what a 0.1 mile wide and not even a mile long stretch of dirt is holding back.

Utterly stupid.

But the worst is by far is "someone to save me." Dude. As far as I know there is no Oktibbeha County Navy. FFS dude. Take some responsibility for yourself! You're assuming that other people will put their own lives at risk to save your sorry ass b/c it ain't never happened yet? But you got your picture in the paper!! They've been talking about the problems for five freaking years. And it ain't getting any better. I get that you may not want or be able to live anywhere else. Fine. I get that "they've" been wrong before. But for crying out loud.

Monumentally stupid.

/rant and thank you for your patience if you've gotten this far.

@Marica

I totally get where you are coming from regarding your excellent analytical rant!

My mind thinks like that too. And regarding all the idiots out there, MOST PEOPLE ARE SO EFFING STUPID BUT THEY SURE GIVE ME SOME GOOD STUFF TO LAUGH AT!

It's frustrating as hell, but it shouldn't be surprising. This is the exact mindset of the person who doesn't store preps, or even keep a well stocked pantry. "Someone" (i.e., the government) will save me."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Reminds me of an old old joke.

If your Uncle Jack was stuck up on a roof would you help your Uncle Jack ...
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

This is no different than those that when a storm is on the water go down and get as close as the can to the waves. Then one comes and they are gone.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Monumentally stupid is the gift that keeps on giving. I mean, look at congress.
    Marica likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The truth is that old guy will probably be right more often than he's wrong with that mind set, but it only takes once and then people die. I always ask myself, "What's the worst that can happen?" If I'm not willing to accept that, I leave or change the equation until it is something I can accept.

His mind set is the exact reason the levees in New Orleans never got repaired/improved. Its also failing to understand time, pressure, erosion, and natural events....instead relying on hope/denial as a first order of defense.

Hope no one dies having to rescue him.

Sponsored Links