Canning Beef with a K Bar
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Canning Beef with a K Bar within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Had some fun today, . . . had to can some beef. Went out in the shop to sharpen my deer scimitar, . . . ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Canning Beef with a K Bar

Had some fun today, . . . had to can some beef.

Went out in the shop to sharpen my deer scimitar, . . . and a paring knife.

Saw my K Bar in my bug out bag, . . . thought what the heck.

It wasn't as easy as the scimitar, . . . but it did a good job while I used it.

Almost forgot what a good knife it really is.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canning Beef with a K Bar-k-bar-canning.jpg  

Slippy, RedLion, bigwheel and 7 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Beautiful knife.
    How long will the canned meat stay good?

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    Beautiful knife.
    Yes, inquiring minds want to know. The Mrs and I were just discussing canning beef over the weekend. She cans all sorts of fruits, veggies and the such, but never meat. We are very eager to try. After doing a little research, it does not seem overly complicated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

A while back I canned some chicken. It was still fine when I ate it a year later.

Joe

@dwight55 Good work mister looks like you will get through the winter ok
    dwight55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    Beautiful knife.

Dukers; Yes, inquiring minds want to know. The Mrs and I were just discussing canning beef over the weekend. She cans all sorts of fruits, veggies and the such, but never meat. We are very eager to try. After doing a little research, it does not seem overly complicated.
    I'm going to say indefinitely, . . . as it is canned in a pressure cooker, . . . which is about as good as it gets with canning.

I've eaten meat that is several years old, . . . love every bit of it.

Canning venison or beef is simple as falling off a log, . . .

1. wash / clean / sterilize your jars and lids, . . . use only new lids, . . . older rings are OK, . . . but only new lids

2. cut up the meat into thumb size pieces or so, . . . removing as much exterior fat as you can see and reasonably cut off, . . . remove all gristle / connective tissue / tendon etc, . . . you only want to can the "flesh" as much as possible.

3. drop the cut up meat into your pint or quart jars, . . . only up to the shoulder of the jar, . . . if using wide mouth, . . . leave a good full inch below the lid.

4. add hot water to the top of the level of your meat, . . . pry the sides with a shish k-bob stick, . . . getting out as much air as you can, . . . reasonably, . . .

5. add 1/2 tsp salt to each pint or 1 tsp to each quart (that's teaspoon, . . . NOT tablespoon) if you want, . . . I don't because I have a "no salt" person in my family.

6. wipe the rims of the jars to make sure they are clean, . . . add sterilized lid, . . . put on ring, . . . hand tight

7. pressure can them at 10 # pressure (at most elevations, . . . maybe 15 if you are up on the mountain), . . . 75 minutes for pints, . . . 90 minutes for quarts

8. IMPORTANT: set the canned pressure cooker off to the side, . . . let it cool by itself until the pressure drops and you can take off the lid. Do not cool it down with cold water or some such actions.

9. because a mistake can be made, . . . and it is meat, . . . if it starts to go bad, . . . generally speaking it should build pressure in the jar. For that reason, . . . some folks will remove the rings. If the canning process was done correctly, . . . the lids will stay down simply by the vacuum seal made in the cooling process. If the meat goes bad, . . . the pressure will push up on the lid, . . . discard any jar that has a pushed up lid. SO FAR THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO US, . . . WE'VE DONE THIS FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

As I said, . . . about as easy as falling off a log. My wife and I did 16 pints today in about 6 hours, . . . starting from a clean kitchen, . . . back to a clean kitchen with everything put away. Meat can probably be purchased in a can cheaper than that, . . . but it will not be the grass fed, locally grown beef I put up, . . . or the locally killed venison I also can.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 01-13-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    Slippy, Joe, Crunch and 4 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Excellent thread Pastor Dwight! KA-BAR's are excellent tools for cutting meat and sinew if I do say so myself!

If I may take a moment to educate some of the young people, I'd appreciate it as this brings up a subject that just might come in handy one day!

Advice to all the youngsters;

ALWAYS CUT BACON WITH YOUR KA-BAR JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE TO GUT A JIHADIST!

Canning Beef with a K Bar-img_1781-002-.jpg

Lesson over, carry on!

Slippy, Thank you for the lesson. Much appreciated.😆 I don't post much, but I visit this site frequently and I always make a point of reading your input.

Pastor Dwight, Thanks for posting the directions. You inspired us. We are going to do our inaugural batch this weekend. I too enjoy your contributions to the many discussions here.
    Slippy and dwight55 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    I'm going to say indefinitely, . . . as it is canned in a pressure cooker, . . . which is about as good as it gets with canning.

I've eaten meat that is several years old, . . . love every bit of it.

Canning venison or beef is simple as falling off a log, . . .

1. wash / clean / sterilize your jars and lids, . . . use only new lids, . . . older rings are OK, . . . but only new lids

2. cut up the meat into thumb size pieces or so, . . . removing as much exterior fat as you can see and reasonably cut off, . . . remove all gristle / connective tissue / tendon etc, . . . you only want to can the "flesh" as much as possible.

3. drop the cut up meat into your pint or quart jars, . . . only up to the shoulder of the jar, . . . if using wide mouth, . . . leave a good full inch below the lid.

4. add hot water to the top of the level of your meat, . . . pry the sides with a shish k-bob stick, . . . getting out as much air as you can, . . . reasonably, . . .

5. add 1/2 tsp salt to each pint or 1 tsp to each quart (that's teaspoon, . . . NOT tablespoon) if you want, . . . I don't because I have a "no salt" person in my family.

6. wipe the rims of the jars to make sure they are clean, . . . add sterilized lid, . . . put on ring, . . . hand tight

7. pressure can them at 10 # pressure (at most elevations, . . . maybe 15 if you are up on the mountain), . . . 75 minutes for pints, . . . 90 minutes for quarts

8. IMPORTANT: set the canned pressure cooker off to the side, . . . let it cool by itself until the pressure drops and you can take off the lid. Do not cool it down with cold water or some such actions.

9. because a mistake can be made, . . . and it is meat, . . . if it starts to go bad, . . . generally speaking it should build pressure in the jar. For that reason, . . . some folks will remove the rings. If the canning process was done correctly, . . . the lids will stay down simply by the vacuum seal made in the cooling process. If the meat goes bad, . . . the pressure will push up on the lid, . . . discard any jar that has a pushed up lid. SO FAR THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO US, . . . WE'VE DONE THIS FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

As I said, . . . about as easy as falling off a log. My wife and I did 16 pints today in about 6 hours, . . . starting from a clean kitchen, . . . back to a clean kitchen with everything put away. Meat can probably be purchased in a can cheaper than that, . . . but it will not be the grass fed, locally grown beef I put up, . . . or the locally killed venison I also can.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Have you ever tried canning meat without adding water? Basically just pack the jars with raw pieces to the jar shoulders...and I do mean to pack in the meat fairly tightly. During the processing, it makes it's own broth. I've done this with beef & chicken

I've never canned anything, in regards to "if the meat goes bad" does that mean the meat is inedible for immediate use or just not safe for long term storage? Or did the canning process just not take?

I hate to waste food, especially meat.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links