CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? - Page 8
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

This is a discussion on CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Swrock We get alot of rain where I live, so I thought about catching the rain for a water source. I placed ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 132
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

  1. #71
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Way North East
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    We get alot of rain where I live, so I thought about catching the rain for a water source. I placed a large wheel barrow in the open one day during a good rain event and was disappointed in the amount of rain it caught.
    So I put the camper awning out and angled one side down to make the run off east to catch in the wheel barrow. I was surprised to see how quickly it filled the wheel barrow.

    Get eaves throughs and downspouts, feed them into a 275-330gl totes. I put up > 1000-gal water by May.

  2. #72
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Selkirk Mountains
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Get eaves throughs and downspouts, feed them into a 275-330gl totes. I put up > 1000-gal water by May.
    How do you handle the algae, et al ?
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

  3. #73
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    How do you handle the algae, et al ?
    Algae is easily controlled with chlorine. If you're worried about drinking chlorinated water, the water can be poured into clean containers and allowed to sit for 24 hours to dissipate the chlorine, or you can run it through a Berkey-type filter.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #74
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Way North East
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Biggest myth in prepping: An EMP WILL fry ALL electronics. There's way too many variables. Some things can and will survive. My cell phone might get fried, but yours won't. It's all really a crap shoot.


    So is old, or newer electrics likely to fail, EMP? I used to work on scientific equipment. Old analog stuff, and newer digital?

  6. #75
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Where you least expect it.
    Posts
    6,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    So is old, or newer electrics likely to fail, EMP? I used to work on scientific equipment. Old analog stuff, and newer digital?
    God only knows... and he ain't tellin' us.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

  7. #76
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Selkirk Mountains
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Algae is easily controlled with chlorine. If you're worried about drinking chlorinated water, the water can be poured into clean containers and allowed to sit for 24 hours to dissipate the chlorine, or you can run it through a Berkey-type filter.
    Is that how you have done it? I was curious as to Trapper's method. Thanks!
    (I can see where Hermione learned her tendencies..lol)
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 01-11-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

  8. #77
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Is that how you have done it? I was curious as to Trapper's method. Thanks!
    (I can see where Hermione learned her tendencies..lol)
    Actually, the only water I have stored is purchased water, so I haven't actually done it, but it will work. It would still be a good idea to store the water in a dark place though. It only takes about a teaspoon of unscented household bleach to purify 10 gallons of water. I happen to know a little bit about chlorine because my first husband was the aquatic center manager for a school district. I also have an excellent memory for random facts that may or may not ever be useful.

    About the Hermione thing, though...maybe just a little.

  9. #78
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Selkirk Mountains
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Actually, the only water I have stored is purchased water, so I haven't actually done it, but it will work. It would still be a good idea to store the water in a dark place though. It only takes about a teaspoon of unscented household bleach to purify 10 gallons of water. I happen to know a little bit about chlorine because my first husband was the aquatic center manager for a school district. I also have an excellent memory for random facts that may or may not ever be useful.

    About the Hermione thing, though...maybe just a little.
    A little, lol, okay.
    I appreciate the information you share, but I learn more hearing about your experiences with things you've actually done;
    we can all Google -and likely already have.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

  10. #79
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Way North East
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    God only knows... and he ain't tellin' us.
    Here is a clue. Older analog stuff you could go in and touch stuff, except things like capacitors. Go inside a computer and you better be grounded.

  11. #80
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    It's Jan 11, 2020, you and your family are home safe, the sun is about to rise, and you wake to discover there has been a

    1. Massive coronal event, EMP, whatever - with the result being permanent global electrical shutdown.
    3. Vehicles wont start, all electronics are fried, phones no longer work, no Google/YouTube to tell you what to do or how to fix things, all you have is what you already have or can make or steal.

    Ready? Set... BANG!
    Except there wont be a bang.
    Everything that depends on electricity just stops.

    *******************

    Wherever you are, are you prepped for this possibility?

    All thoughts welcome.
    In a worst case scenario and the current solar system zapped we have a spare 4400 watt inverter and 100 amp charge controller along with other smaller spare inverters and controllers in EMP protected containers along with several small lower voltage solar panels ect. Also EMP protected are spare testing meters, some replacement diodes, resistors, ect, and about 1200 watts in large spare panels. Years of tinkering in solar and other methods of power production means we've got some spare bits and pieces.

    But if all else fails a hand pump on the well along with some ability to collect rainwater and filter it.

    Propane stove that will work when the power is off with always at least two hundred gallons of propane so years of cooking. In addition we use a wood dome oven and rocket stove for cooking regularly, kind of a hobby cooking with wood. Two woodstoves in the house for heat and the solar system runs the AC.

    Much of this isn't for prepping. We like using self reliant ways as part of our daily lifestyle and I like to tinker with energy production..

    Our biggest weakness would be transportation since we no longer keep horses.
    Last edited by Elvis; 01-11-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    MountainGirl likes this.

 

 
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top