CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

This is a discussion on CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Swrock We get alot of rain where I live, so I thought about catching the rain for a water source. I placed ...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    We get alot of rain where I live, so I thought about catching the rain for a water source. I placed a large wheel barrow in the open one day during a good rain event and was disappointed in the amount of rain it caught.

Put a coffee cup out in an inch of rain, it will have 1" of water in it.

Put a Rubbermaid tote out in the same inch of rain, it will have 1" of water in it.

Build an Olympic-sized swimming pool out in the inch of rainfall, it will have 1" of water in it.

Whether it's the size of a postage stamp, or a million acres, one inch of rain will produce, at any spot, 1" of water.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    My Preps are a well guarded secret.
    Well, I am an advocate of being up front, but then, while I am a Christian, I think most libtards don't want to bother a biker having coffee.

When it comes to "secret," I never try to hide anything. In fact, I usually reply to a new item that either works or it doesn't. For example, I think these new yellow or blue handled Buck folders are a tool kit you can carry in your pocket. So what if half the liberals in Madison know it's a jackknife, it's legal and they can squawk all they want.

If I've ever made a mistake in my lifetime it's hiding something that I figured was taboo at the time. If I buy a knife or three and my wife asks, I tell her. If the cops are patrolling my street (or ergo, me personally) I recommend you take them donuts and ask if they need fingerprints.

And then there's just karma. One time a cop asked me for my opinion...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

We get alot of rain where I live, so I thought about catching the rain for a water source. I placed a large wheel barrow in the open one day during a good rain event and was disappointed in the amount of rain it caught.
    So I put the camper awning out and angled one side down to make the run off east to catch in the wheel barrow. I was surprised to see how quickly it filled the wheel barrow.
    Catching the rain off roofs is always a good idea, imo. Great for watering plantings and pets - and no filtering required.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Yes - Even though the hand-pipe's head is at 180' (main-pump head at 190'), because the static level up at 45', the water inside the hand-system's pipe also rises to 45', so it only needs to be drawn up from there. We only fill up 3 or 4 5gal buckets at a time, and I didn't notice any difference in the 'pull' requirement - but I'm guessing if we drew down far enough - it would get a lot more difficult. Ever ask your neighbor what his static level is? I think that information is public records, recorded by the driller with whatever agency the permit was drawn through.
    Hahaha! I know zero about wells. I'd never even heard of "static level" until I read your post! I can ask my neighbor; if he knows, he'll tell me. At least I won't need to go searching through public records.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Put a coffee cup out in an inch of rain, it will have 1" of water in it.

Put a Rubbermaid tote out in the same inch of rain, it will have 1" of water in it.

Build an Olympic-sized swimming pool out in the inch of rainfall, it will have 1" of water in it.

Whether it's the size of a postage stamp, or a million acres, one inch of rain will produce, at any spot, 1" of water.
    At any spot, yes.
    There are a lot more "spots" on larger areas.

Catching the rain off roofs is always a good idea, imo. Great for watering plantings and pets - and no filtering required.
    Just keep in mind, it can be loaded with critter and bird poop.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

So I put the camper awning out and angled one side down to make the run off east to catch in the wheel barrow. I was surprised to see how quickly it filled the wheel barrow.
    I've been in an Alabama rain storm so I believe you. It was so bad that the Handsome Husband pulled into a parking lot to wait it out, while the native drivers were zooming by like no big deal. We get a lot of rain in western Washington, but mostly October through June. July through September can be pretty dry. We almost never get summer rainstorms that dump inches of rain.

Super Moderator

Will you always have access to water, Annie? Don't know why I'm so hung up on water... maybe because for years we had to haul it up from the lake in barrels before the well was put in... and that was when gas was available for the truck.
    It's critical...There's a couple streams closeby and a little fish pond out back. A lake not far...I keep berkey filters on hand. Plus I'm storing it inside, but it's so important that I believe there's never going to be too much I can store.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Hahaha! I know zero about wells. I'd never even heard of "static level" until I read your post! I can ask my neighbor; if he knows, he'll tell me. At least I won't need to go searching through public records.

You have a fun learning curve ahead!

I'll always remember - Right after the pump was installed (hooked to a yard spigot, powered by the gen, cabin solar and plumbing not installed yet) the guy asked me if I wanted to try it - I lifted the handle and out came the purest coldest mountain water known to man. I started bawling, tears of joy, bent over and stuck my face in it for a long time. They thought I was crazy, I didn't care. For the first time I knew we would survive up here.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    It's critical...There's a couple streams closeby and a little fish pond out back. A lake not far...I keep berkey filters on hand. Plus I'm storing it inside, but it's so important that I believe there's never going to be too much I can store.
    Very glad to hear.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links