CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

This is a discussion on CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack The teeny little mufflers they put on most gennys isn't much help. You can, however, cobble a method up ...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    The teeny little mufflers they put on most gennys isn't much help. You can, however, cobble a method up to utilize a vehicle-type muffler.
    Done that on a 1972 Ford lgt tractor, Ford wanted $75, I put a resonator for a car on it, for $20. That was 30 years ago.........

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    That would be a catastrophe, for sure. Luckily, like you, we're far from a sizeable population, and any 'remains' up here would be quickly consumed by the carnivores (coyotes, cougars, crows, hawks, etc)
    Even in the cities, some of the bodies would be cleaned up by rats, raccoons, possums, etc., but their populations would skyrocket so another source of disease. Not sure about other cities, but in the Seattle area, there would be coyotes helping out, and cougar and bear would move back in in the absence of so many living, breathing humans. Possibly even wolves farther north.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    The teeny little mufflers they put on most gennys isn't much help. You can, however, cobble a method up to utilize a vehicle-type muffler.
    My guess is any engine-running noise would be the proverbial sore thumb in an otherwise silent environment.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Even in the cities, some of the bodies would be cleaned up by rats, raccoons, possums, etc., but their populations would skyrocket so another source of disease. Not sure about other cities, but in the Seattle area, there would be coyotes helping out, and cougar and bear would move back in in the absence of so many living, breathing humans. Possibly even wolves farther north.
    Humans are still vastly outnumbered up here, which is a gift as far as I'm concerned.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Will you always have access to water, Annie? Don't know why I'm so hung up on water... maybe because for years we had to haul it up from the lake in barrels before the well was put in... and that was when gas was available for the truck.
    We are in the same boat in eastern Washington. We're right next to Lake Roosevelt, but hauling water from the lake for daily use would be beyond brutal. Even if we get a well dug, I don't know what we'd do if the well pump went out, and I'm not sure if a solar pump could handle to load of the deep well, plus a push the water up to the house.

Humans are still vastly outnumbered up here, which is a gift as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh, it's a blessing, alright. Even though our western Washington place could probably be called "exurbs" rather than suburbs (lots of one to five acre properties), it's building up fast and the number of people surrounding us is pretty scary.

We are in the same boat in eastern Washington. We're right next to Lake Roosevelt, but hauling water from the lake for daily use would be beyond brutal. Even if we get a well dug, I don't know what we'd do if the well pump went out, and I'm not sure if a solar pump could handle to load of the deep well, plus a push the water up to the house.
    It wont. I looked at the Grundfos, and the depth of ours (200') called for 3/4hp, wired 220, just to get it to the surface. It's lateral to the cabin so nominal push there. Installed in 2016, and after looking at it for a couple years, knowing we needed electricity to get the water, I had a hand-pump installed on a separate pipe run down the same casing. Static is at 45' so it doesn't take much pumping to get it started. Best back-up money we've spent, imo.

Edit to add: The well pump is the biggest draw on the batteries.
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 01-11-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    Mad Trapper and Prepared One like this.

It wont. I looked at the Grundfos, and the depth of ours (200') called for 3/4hp, wired 220, just to get it to the surface. It's lateral to the cabin so nominal push there. Installed in 2016, and after looking at it for a couple years, knowing we needed electricity to get the water, I had a hand-pump installed on a separate pipe run down the same casing. Static is at 45' so it doesn't take much pumping to get it started. Best back-up money we've spent, imo.

Edit to add: The well pump is the biggest draw on the batteries.
    And our well will undoubtedly be deeper than that. I think our neighbor's well is over 200' and they are closer to the lake than we are. But you said depending on what our static water depth is, a hand pump might be feasible?

Our plan for western Washington is to sink a well by hand and add a hand pump if the power goes out. The water table is pretty high here. We'd have to filter everything through a Berkey or equivalent, though.

And our well will undoubtedly be deeper than that. I think our neighbor's well is over 200' and they are closer to the lake than we are. But you said depending on what our static water depth is, a hand pump might be feasible?
    Yes - Even though the hand-pipe's head is at 180' (main-pump head at 190'), because the static level up at 45', the water inside the hand-system's pipe also rises to 45', so it only needs to be drawn up from there. We only fill up 3 or 4 5gal buckets at a time, and I didn't notice any difference in the 'pull' requirement - but I'm guessing if we drew down far enough - it would get a lot more difficult. Ever ask your neighbor what his static level is? I think that information is public records, recorded by the driller with whatever agency the permit was drawn through.

Our plan for western Washington is to sink a well by hand and add a hand pump if the power goes out. The water table is pretty high here. We'd have to filter everything through a Berkey or equivalent, though.

We get alot of rain where I live, so I thought about catching the rain for a water source. I placed a large wheel barrow in the open one day during a good rain event and was disappointed in the amount of rain it caught.
    So I put the camper awning out and angled one side down to make the run off east to catch in the wheel barrow. I was surprised to see how quickly it filled the wheel barrow.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links