CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? - Page 13
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

This is a discussion on CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack They're made to disperse static electric discharges. Yeah, they might work in an EMP, but I'd add a couple ...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    They're made to disperse static electric discharges. Yeah, they might work in an EMP, but I'd add a couple more layers.
    Okay, thanks.
    Elvis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    You also need to tape all the seams of the can itself.... around the bottom where it meets the sides, and the seam(s) on the side(s).
    With the steel cans I've seen the bottom and seams are solid bead welded so no tape needed at those joints. But if you want to tape them it won't hurt.

Banned

Well, for starters, I'd go in the garage and dust of my boxes full of prepping supplies.

I'd first focus on finding the candles and getting the different stoves prepped.

Then I would bring the food, oil, and fuel into a more secure location... guarded

After I set a ration schedule for the family, I would plot the areas on my mountain to forage prickly pear and mesquite beans. I'd get ahold of them first while everyone else is raiding the grocery stores.

Then, I'd have to set up the pool in the back yard to catch rain runoff but, the water tank would suffice until the next rain storm.... if not, I know where all the reservoirs are located. I would make it a priority to conduct a recon to determine if they have increased security... if not, I would take as much water as I want and treat it accordingly.

Once I feel the situation is beginning to destabilize outside, I would begin pulling night shift guard duty.

After the first few weeks of no food / lawlessness / riotous behavior, the pirates are going to have a hard time keeping their identity hidden. My team will then work diligently hunting them down to bring harmony back to our town.

And they all lived happily ever after, The End.
    MountainGirl likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Verba Bellum View Post
    Well, for starters, I'd go in the garage and dust of my boxes full of prepping supplies.

I'd first focus on finding the candles and getting the different stoves prepped.

Then I would bring the food, oil, and fuel into a more secure location... guarded

After I set a ration schedule for the family, I would plot the areas on my mountain to forage prickly pear and mesquite beans. I'd get ahold of them first while everyone else is raiding the grocery stores.

Then, I'd have to set up the pool in the back yard to catch rain runoff but, the water tank would suffice until the next rain storm.... if not, I know where all the reservoirs are located. I would make it a priority to conduct a recon to determine if they have increased security... if not, I would take as much water as I want and treat it accordingly.

Once I feel the situation is beginning to destabilize outside, I would begin pulling night shift guard duty.

After the first few weeks of no food / lawlessness / riotous behavior, the pirates are going to have a hard time keeping their identity hidden. My team will then work diligently hunting them down to bring harmony back to our town.

And they all lived happily ever after, The End.
    Sounds like you've given this some thought.

I'm curious about this: "Once I feel the situation is beginning to destabilize outside..."

How will you know? I mean, what signs will you look for or see?
    As dependent as the sheep are now - I think panic would happen pretty fast...
    Thanks -
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Sounds like you've given this some thought.

I'm curious about this: "Once I feel the situation is beginning to destabilize outside..."

How will you know? I mean, what signs will you look for or see?
    As dependent as the sheep are now - I think panic would happen pretty fast...
    Thanks -
    Well, It's a personal framework that I use to judge the situation. And the framework really has to do with the level of organization and the types of activities that are being carried out.

Obviously, there will be panic and riots... maybe some damage to commercial properties and places of business in the city, but to me, I would not consider that "destabilized" so long as law enforcement is still around and acting in an official capacity.

Now, the threshold is crossed when the following two situations occur:
    1. Organized groups begin killing / attacking innocent civilians
    2. Law Enforcement no longer operates

By definition, a "failed State" occurs when a government can no longer provide goods and services to their citizens.. the main service I'm concerned about here is protection / law enforcement. At that point, I consider the situation "destabilized" and it then becomes my groups responsibility to enforce justice for the innocent.

But, you also asked "How will you know?" and "What signs will you look for?"
    1. I will know from simple observation of the activities going on in the surrounding area. I also have friends all over the city that will keep me informed.
    2. I will look for the following signs:
    a. Police are not showing up to work because they are either afraid or not getting paid
    b. Murder / mugging is occurring at an increased rate within the city.

That's pretty much it.
    Crunch and MountainGirl like this.

But, you also asked "How will you know?" and "What signs will you look for?"
    1. I will know from simple observation of the activities going on in the surrounding area. I also have friends all over the city that will keep me informed.
    2. I will look for the following signs:
    a. Police are not showing up to work because they are either afraid or not getting paid
    b. Murder / mugging is occurring at an increased rate within the city.

That's pretty much it.
    I like this answer a lot, and like you our security plans (and rules of engagement) change drastically if our sheriff and deputies aren't showing up for work or taking dispatches to keep the peace/enforce the law. Problem is, following an EMP there may not be phone or internet/cable, which leaves only radio assuming any of those still function (and I'd bet at least some will). If I don't hear the "10-8"'s of the deputies reporting in for duty anymore, we're going into full lockdown mode.

I keep some radios and force multipliers in EM shielded containers as Elvis described in post #117. Motion sensors, police scanner, CB/GMRS/ham radios, and some other electronic goodies I wouldn't want to be without.
    MountainGirl and Verba Bellum like this.

That's pretty much it.
    Thanks you sir for your detailed reply. It answered questions I'd not yet considered.
    Thank you too, @Crunch - for your contribution to this thread.

I know the topic is about EMPs - but, imo, it's impossible to not keep the backdrop of Virginia in mind as well.
    Thanks again, all.
    Stay safe.
    Verba Bellum likes this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Problem is, following an EMP there may not be phone or internet/cable, .
    A simple way to reestablish a computer network is by using YAGI antennas and wireless routers. Just create a local network without a password. You'll be able to share files and all kinds of stuff. Just have that equipment and a few laptops stashed away in a faraday cage. You can get cheap old laptops on craigslist, thriftstore, and ebay. They'll work perfect for that.

And... you'll obviously need a way to generate electricity....

Having at least some ability to recharge batteries would go a long way towards improving life quality and security.
    Some battery powered items that would be wonderful to have and be able to power.
    AM/FM/shortwave radio receiver,,, CD or digital music player,,, 2 way hand held radios,,, flashlights,,, LED lanterns,,, driveway alarms which can be used for perimeter security around your property,,, nightvision or thermal vision.

Depending on the strength and wavelengths of the EMP many small items may still be functional if you can keep them powered.

So you've spent $1000+ on other preps. Maybe it's worth spending $100 for a 15 watt solar panel with USB output, a USB powered battery charger, and some Eneloop rechargeable batteries.
    Crunch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Having at least some ability to recharge batteries would go a long way towards improving life quality and security.
    Some battery powered items that would be wonderful to have and be able to power.
    AM/FM/shortwave radio receiver,,, CD or digital music player,,, 2 way hand held radios,,, flashlights,,, LED lanterns,,, driveway alarms which can be used for perimeter security around your property,,, nightvision or thermal vision.

Depending on the strength and wavelengths of the EMP many small items may still be functional if you can keep them powered.

So you've spent $1000+ on other preps. Maybe it's worth spending $100 for a 15 watt solar panel with USB output, a USB powered battery charger, and some Eneloop rechargeable batteries.
    This ^^^

Was messing around with a solution like that last summer, small 10 watt solar panel, cigarette lighter voltage adapter, and a Energizer battery charger (that runs normally off a 'wallwart' converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC, but powered by the battery in this case).

If you just need to charge a couple of AA batts each day, it'd work.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Sponsored Links