CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? - Page 12
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

This is a discussion on CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Elvis According to tests the NSA has done unless you've got the metal building seams and doors covered with metal tape not ...

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    According to tests the NSA has done unless you've got the metal building seams and doors covered with metal tape not much protection.
    Thanks, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    EMP travels just like any other electro-magnetic field: In waves. A metal building might make the difference between an electronic device surviving and it not. There may be enough shielding to reduce the power of in incoming pulse to weaken it to the point the device isn't affected. Just like waves on the beach on the down-wind side of an island.
    Like the analogy, and also discussing it in terms of shielding.

Crunch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    EMP travels just like any other electro-magnetic field: In waves. A metal building might make the difference between an electronic device surviving and it not. There may be enough shielding to reduce the power of in incoming pulse to weaken it to the point the device isn't affected. Just like waves on the beach on the down-wind side of an island.
    Thus the wording "not much protection" used in my previous post. When testing on a galvanized steel trashcan with the lid tightly on the EMP strength was reduced about 20% with about 80% still getting through. But wrapping metal tape around the lid more than doubled the protection against the EMP waves cutting their strength to less than half.

Thus the wording "not much protection" used in my previous post. When testing on a galvanized steel trashcan with the lid tightly on the EMP strength was reduced about 20% with about 80% still getting through. But wrapping metal tape around the lid more than doubled the protection against the EMP waves cutting their strength to less than half.
    What sort of generator for an EMP? Wavelengths? How? Sure not a bomb.......

Did you ground the can? Like to plumbing or a copper rod 4' deep?

See post #113 and references therein.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-12-2020 at 05:38 PM.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    As I get older I am less enthusiastic about doing everything myself. Having the Water Oak out front cut down this spring, a job that when I was younger, I would have done myself. Screw that. I am having a pro come in and he will have it gone in a day. Work on my own cars? No, why spend a weekend under car. Take it to the shop and it's done. New floors, countertops and inside paint? Nope, not doing any of it myself. A contractor can do it in half the time I can and it saves my back and knees.

I don't know that I am any smarter, have more money , or just plain lazy, but the older I get, the less I care about always doing it myself.
    Iím with you on that. Although Iím capable working on many things Iím not an expert. Usually an expert can do a proper job less expensive than I can (and not muck it up like I can). There are some things Iíll do and some I wonít.

Iíve also learned the value of mechanical advantage and power tools... mainly my tractor!
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    What sort of generator for an EMP? Wavelengths? How? Sure not a bomb.......

Did you ground the can? Like to plumbing or a copper rod 4' deep?

See post #113 and references therein.
    A MSW (modified sine wave) generator has simpler electronics in the inverter part than a PSW (pure sine wave) inverter but I doubt either would do well if unshielded.

You do not ground the can, box, or EMP bag. Some studies show that grounding the container may actually increase the charge that gets into the container.

Simple shielding for something like a radio would be to put the radio in a thick plastic bag. A ziplock freezer bag will work. Then wrap tightly in foil. That makes one insulated layer. Add 2 more layers of bag and foil and the radio will be protected from all but the strongest E1 and E2 waves. With something smaller than about 15' long//tall the E3 wave is not a factor.

For additional protection put the wrapped radio in a steel trashcan. Use metal tape to seal the can lid and around where the handle rivets penetrate the can. Then line the can with an insulating material, cardboard will work. Do not run a ground wire from the can to a ground rod.
    Last edited by Elvis; 01-14-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Crunch likes this.

.....For additional protection put the wrapped radio in a steel trashcan. Use metal tape to seal the can lid and around where the handle rivets penetrate the can. Then line the can with an insulating material, cardboard will work. Do not run a ground wire from the can to a ground rod.

You also need to tape all the seams of the can itself.... around the bottom where it meets the sides, and the seam(s) on the side(s).
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

A MSW (modified sine wave) generator has simpler electronics in the inverter part than a PSW (pure sine wave) inverter but I doubt either would do well if unshielded.

You do not ground the can, box, or EMP bag. Some studies show that grounding the container may actually increase the charge that gets into the container.

Simple shielding for something like a radio would be to put the radio in a thick plastic bag. A ziplock freezer bag will work. Then wrap tightly in foil. That makes one insulated layer. Add 2 more layers of bag and foil and the radio will be protected from all but the strongest E1 and E2 waves. With something smaller than about 15' long//tall the E3 wave is not a factor.

For additional protection put the wrapped radio in a steel trashcan. Use metal tape to seal the can lid and around where the handle rivets penetrate the can. Then line the can with an insulating material, cardboard will work. Do not run a ground wire from the can to a ground rod.
    What about those mylar bags that circuit boards come in?

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    What about those mylar bags that circuit boards come in?
    They're made to disperse static electric discharges. Yeah, they might work in an EMP, but I'd add a couple more layers.
    Elvis likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Sponsored Links