CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? - Page 10
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

This is a discussion on CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Elvis In a worst case scenario and the current solar system zapped we have a spare 4400 watt inverter and 100 amp ...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: CME, EMP, magic wand - all electrical power is gone! You ready?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    In a worst case scenario and the current solar system zapped we have a spare 4400 watt inverter and 100 amp charge controller along with other smaller spare inverters and controllers in EMP protected containers along with several small lower voltage solar panels ect. Also EMP protected are spare testing meters, some replacement diodes, resistors, ect, and about 1200 watts in large spare panels. Years of tinkering in solar and other methods of power production means we've got some spare bits and pieces.

But if all else fails a hand pump on the well along with some ability to collect rainwater and filter it.

Propane stove that will work when the power is off with always at least two hundred gallons of propane so years of cooking. In addition we use a wood dome oven and rocket stove for cooking regularly, kind of a hobby cooking with wood. Two woodstoves in the house for heat and the solar system runs the AC.

Much of this isn't for prepping. We like using self reliant ways as part of our daily lifestyle and I like to tinker with energy production..

Our biggest weakness would be transportation since we no longer keep horses.
    Hey Elvis, nice to hear from you.

Cooking with wood is the best, imo. I built a little rocket stove using common brick & the best mornings is sitting out next to it, waiting for the coffee water to boil, under the trees, watching the sun light up the world. Didn't build a dome oven, but I did build a campfire setup exclusively for wood cooking - and look forward to using it even more, now that the projects are done.

We have no backup parts for our solar system whatsoever. We're prepped to not need it; yes, it's nice to be able to use the easy ways but having electricity is no longer a critical thing for us. I even had a little primitive Chalet built up here, for me to escape from the fridge hum, etc lol. Candles for light, small Jotul woodstove. Heaven.

Thanks for your other posts too. Very informative!
    Michael_Js and Inor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    If we ever need to use water that doesn't come out of the well (local stream or roof collection) I'd filter it through sand before running it through a Berkley. Using the sand filter will hopefully remove larger stuff that may plug the Berkley filters. Adding charcoal may also help but only if it's super washed. Otherwise I'd worry that the charcoal dust would plug the Berkley filters.

While I don't have anything larger than a 55 gallon barrel just putting the questionable water in something big and letting the settlement settle to the bottom for a few days before pulling water out of the lower 1/3rd of the container would go a long way towards removing the larger stuff that may plug a Berkley or Sawyer filter. But after that you'd still need something to get rid of the microbes.

Less expensive filters. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep in mind that for cooking and drinking 2 gallons of clean water per day per person should be plenty. Even if you've got long term stored water in a 55 gallon barrel I'd want to sterilize it before drinking it.
    The Sawyer (not the mini) and Berkley are purifiers, what comes out is almost sterile, they remove viruses . If you store it add 1/2 teaspoon/10 drops of bleach/gallon, boiling also works but has no residual effect.

When you set up a sand filter with charcoal, run it to get rid of fines, both sand and carbon. Charcoal will remove organics, that sand wont; pesticides, herbicides, oils/fuel, some organic toxins.

I have a charcoal filter on my tap water to get rid of sediment from the well. You need to run it to get rid of fines.

You can buy powdered charcoal, or make your own, sand is plentiful but make sure the machinery used does not leak petroleum.

If you invest in a lab grade microscope, culture media, and chemical stains, you can check your water yourself. Get a biochemistry/microbiology lab manual too.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-12-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    MountainGirl and SOCOM42 like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    We have a well too. Although the well water goes through 3 filtration systems we still use the berkey. Mainly my wife’s desire. It doesn’t need power; just pour in the water and out comes the sanitized water. We have 2 and use one for a back up. We also keep a number of spare filters. They work very well (but not cheap). Push come to shove I can also make my own water filtration system with 2 5gal buckets and the filters.

Regarding the power plants, some are older Technonlgy but all use various PLC and scada equipment that is readily hacked if not properly maintained. The issue over the past decade has been with the internet/intranet it has given engineers in the HQ the ability to tap into the plant (power, refinery, etc) remotely. That alone presents security issues and potential vulnerabilities.
    It surely does.
    Did you see what happened in Ontario overnight? LOL Apparently an alarm went off at a Nuclear plant, warning residents nearby to stay tuned for instructions, etc... Turns out that the broadcasted warning was sent out by accident, there was never a problem, but it caused 10,000 people to panic. If something like that can happen, God knows what else can.
    Thanks again, for all your replies.
    Prepared One and Piratesailor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I’ll soon be 69 and the old body is giving out. No way can I handle an 80 pound bag of anything. Before I did as much as possible myself. Now, not so much. I let the garage change my oil. I just hired a guy to make minor mods to my chimney. Letting the pros install two new windows tomorrow. I’ve installed a few roofs in my day. Now I’ll soon need a new metal roof on this house and Again, bringing in the pros this summer for that job. Probably the amish. Thank god I can afford to get someone else to do some of these jobs cause my ‘heavy labor’ days are definitely over.
    I hear ya. Our stated goal when we started this back in 2016, was to get this place to the point where when we were old(er) there'd be as little physical requirement as possible. Good thing we got there - cause it sure wore us out in the process.
    Chiefster23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I’ll soon be 69 and the old body is giving out. No way can I handle an 80 pound bag of anything. Before I did as much as possible myself. Now, not so much. I let the garage change my oil. I just hired a guy to make minor mods to my chimney. Letting the pros install two new windows tomorrow. I’ve installed a few roofs in my day. Now I’ll soon need a new metal roof on this house and Again, bringing in the pros this summer for that job. Probably the amish. Thank god I can afford to get someone else to do some of these jobs cause my ‘heavy labor’ days are definitely over.
    As I get older I am less enthusiastic about doing everything myself. Having the Water Oak out front cut down this spring, a job that when I was younger, I would have done myself. Screw that. I am having a pro come in and he will have it gone in a day. Work on my own cars? No, why spend a weekend under car. Take it to the shop and it's done. New floors, countertops and inside paint? Nope, not doing any of it myself. A contractor can do it in half the time I can and it saves my back and knees.

I don't know that I am any smarter, have more money , or just plain lazy, but the older I get, the less I care about always doing it myself.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    It surely does.
    Did you see what happened in Ontario overnight? LOL Apparently an alarm went off at a Nuclear plant, warning residents nearby to stay tuned for instructions, etc... Turns out that the broadcasted warning was sent out by accident, there was never a problem, but it caused 10,000 people to panic. If something like that can happen, God knows what else can.
    Thanks again, for all your replies.
    It's only a matter of time until one of those plants go boom, either because of neglect or terrorism. I have KI tablets but those will only help my thyroid. Surface/rain water will be bad, deep wells might be O.K. for a while.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I don't know that I am any smarter, have more money , or just plain lazy, but the older I get, the less I care about always doing it myself.
    It's funny how people mature. I'm contrary to you--if I own something (other than an expensive 1890s watch) I want to be the one who adjusts it, cleans it, stores it and worries over it.

It's not just doing my own sharpening. No one gets more bugs off the front end of a vehicle than I do. I the best one in the neighborhood for washing blue jeans. I'm the one who finds the errant O-rings on the kitchen counters.

Then again, my dad was an engineer, a padlock designer not a railroad engineer. If any mechanical device we had at home ever 'squeaked,' and I mean once and never again, my dad would take the 'troublesome device' down into his workshop and disassemble it, re-assemble it and disassemble it once more just to make sure it was perfect.

When I was eight years old the doctors thought I had an appendicitis. My biggest fear was not being cut, it was the idea that my dad might cut me open several times just to make sure I was healing correctly...
    MountainGirl likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    It's only a matter of time until one of those plants go boom, either because of neglect or terrorism. I have KI tablets but those will only help my thyroid. Surface/rain water will be bad, deep wells might be O.K. for a while.
    I think you can add 'increasing human stupidity' to that list.
    We're 100 miles away from the nearest nuclear endeavor, and (so far) always upwind. But things change, and no reason to think the wind wont.
    Our 200' well taps into a deep flow coming down from the north. There's surface (swamp) water we could harvest down at the base of our mountain...but that would be not easy or pleasant...but it's there, and that's good.

They won't go boom, but can melt down and dissipate a large amount of radioactive particulates.

With the right filters, it can be extracted from the water you use if contaminated. Big Berkey's will do it.

If there is a problem, you can use a NBC mask with expired filters to protect you lungs.

Soap and water will decon the external you.

For those who don't know, those are solids (micron sized) not a gas, and as such can be filtered out.

I have a modern Geiger counter (Rad 50) and monitor background radiation once a week with NO CHANGES from 19 years ago.

Nothing was changed here after the Fukishima disaster, I followed the cloud reports that was supposed to cause problems here.

It was a non event here in the northeast.

The probability of terrorist breaching security is highly unlikely today, plants have tactical teams just in case of an attack.
    Prepared One and MountainGirl like this.

The Sawyer (not the mini) and Berkley are purifiers, what comes out is almost sterile, they remove viruses . If you store it add 1/2 teaspoon/10 drops of bleach/gallon, boiling also works but has no residual effect.

When you set up a sand filter with charcoal, run it to get rid of fines, both sand and carbon. Charcoal will remove organics, that sand wont; pesticides, herbicides, oils/fuel, some organic toxins.

I have a charcoal filter on my tap water to get rid of sediment from the well. You need to run it to get rid of fines.

You can buy powdered charcoal, or make your own, sand is plentiful but make sure the machinery used does not leak petroleum.

If you invest in a lab grade microscope, culture media, and chemical stains, you can check your water yourself. Get a biochemistry/microbiology lab manual too.
    Make me laugh! I have all of it!

A small point, to properly make charcoal, it must be done in a gasifier type process,

It must be carbonized in a generally O2 free system, burn the emitted gases coming out of the pipe.

not exposed to open flame as some have shown.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-12-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links