How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp. - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp.

This is a discussion on How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm home by the foot very fast because i work only ~2 km away. 2 km = ~1.24 mile...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp.

  1. #31
    Junior Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    25
    I'm home by the foot very fast because i work only ~2 km away.

    2 km = ~1.24 mile
    Denton and Slippy like this.

  2. #32
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    7,960
    Most days, I work from home. If stuff goes down, my biggest concern is getting the kids from schools that are less than 2 miles away, then packing up and heading to the folk's place ~9 miles out of town.

    However, it if happens to be one of those days I'm at the office, it's 37 miles. I have an extensive GHB in the truck and ample firepower. The struggle will be deciding what stays and what goes in order to maintain a decent pace. I plan for a need to camp/stay somewhere, but that might be the office itself. Moving at night would be ideal in the dark new world of an EMP.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

  3. #33
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    19,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Most days, I work from home. If stuff goes down, my biggest concern is getting the kids from schools that are less than 2 miles away, then packing up and heading to the folk's place ~9 miles out of town.

    However, it if happens to be one of those days I'm at the office, it's 37 miles. I have an extensive GHB in the truck and ample firepower. The struggle will be deciding what stays and what goes in order to maintain a decent pace. I plan for a need to camp/stay somewhere, but that might be the office itself. Moving at night would be ideal in the dark new world of an EMP.
    Good point about moving at night. I often debate with myself, if an event happens in the late afternoon and I'm somewhere safe but need to walk over 10 miles, is it better to try and catch a nap for an hour or so and start fresh after dark or is it best to immediately start the trek?

    If I was 10 years younger, probably immediately start the hike. But now I think I'd wait until dark.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Where you least expect it.
    Posts
    6,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Good point about moving at night. I often debate with myself, if an event happens in the late afternoon and I'm somewhere safe but need to walk over 10 miles, is it better to try and catch a nap for an hour or so and start fresh after dark or is it best to immediately start the trek?

    If I was 10 years younger, probably immediately start the hike. But now I think I'd wait until dark.
    Part of the equation you're missing is weather. If it's summer, it makes sense to make tracks at night. If it's going to be -20° at night, you might be better off hunkering down until the sun comes up.
    Slippy likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

  6. #35
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Part of the equation you're missing is weather. If it's summer, it makes sense to make tracks at night. If it's going to be -20° at night, you might be better off hunkering down until the sun comes up.
    Good point.

  7. #36
    Joe
    Joe is offline
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,029
    @Swrock Good exercise here. I am 9 miles from work 3.5 to 4 hrs walk. The colder it is the faster I would walk.

  8. #37
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    7,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Good point about moving at night. I often debate with myself, if an event happens in the late afternoon and I'm somewhere safe but need to walk over 10 miles, is it better to try and catch a nap for an hour or so and start fresh after dark or is it best to immediately start the trek?

    If I was 10 years younger, probably immediately start the hike. But now I think I'd wait until dark.
    I feel quite comfortable outside at night, especially on a partially or fully lit one. The human eye is an astounding miracle for how well it can adjust to intense daylight and near pitch black night.
    Movement during the day is overt and obvious to any observer. Movement at night in a world where the lights are out and NV likely isn't working either, well, it just makes sense. Rest up, prepare to leave an hour or so after sundown, and you'll have perfect night vision for the whole trip, with the shadows as your friends.
    Depending on the location you happen to be in when things go awry, you could have masses of people rioting and starting fires. It's best to be able to spot them a mile off and avoid it altogether. You can't do that as easily during the daytime.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

  9. #38
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    7,960
    Something occurred to me during this thread...

    We are all thinking about what we would do to get home from a relatively short distance.
    But what would you do if you were on a business trip, or vacation, across country?

    For me, this is a nightmare scenario. Hundreds or thousands of miles from my family, and long distance transportation becomes a luxury commodity that is heavily guarded and disputed.
    How would you get home?
    Would you get home, or just live there now?
    Would your plan of returning become a long term, 5-10 year affair?
    What would life be like if/when you return?
    Comms are down. How would your family know your status?

    If anything else, this scenario stresses the importance of a Faraday protected HAM radio plan. It would be one of your only bets for getting a message back home (chain relay across the expanse).
    Until Kevin Costner promises to deliver your letters, of course.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

  10. #39
    Banned


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Selkirk Mountains
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Something occurred to me during this thread...

    We are all thinking about what we would do to get home from a relatively short distance.
    But what would you do if you were on a business trip, or vacation, across country?

    For me, this is a nightmare scenario. Hundreds or thousands of miles from my family, and long distance transportation becomes a luxury commodity that is heavily guarded and disputed.
    How would you get home?
    Would you get home, or just live there now?
    Would your plan of returning become a long term, 5-10 year affair?
    What would life be like if/when you return?
    Comms are down. How would your family know your status?

    If anything else, this scenario stresses the importance of a Faraday protected HAM radio plan. It would be one of your only bets for getting a message back home (chain relay across the expanse).
    Until Kevin Costner promises to deliver your letters, of course.
    If you dont mind me adding in just one little thought...
    Have a detailed conversation with your spouse/family, if you haven't already, about this kind of possibility - so at least they know what your intentions would be...based on how far from home you were.
    Kauboy likes this.

  11. #40
    Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    66
    I thought alot about this after reading the book "Going Home". The guy was 250 miles from home on business when the EMP hit.
    I dont get far from home. Could be offshore fishing though. Wonder if emp would affect my outboard motor. Carburated Yamaha 150. Likely fry my GPS but I can make it in with my compass.

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top