How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp.

This is a discussion on How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by The Tourist LOL, looks like you beat me to it again! I have a great little polishing nook here. The sharpening stand, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: How far would you have to walk home from work, after emp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    LOL, looks like you beat me to it again! I have a great little polishing nook here. The sharpening stand, the computer and the coffee maker are all within arms' reach. Right off the kitchen is the fireplace, and I got it rocking and rolling. I like the set-up of the master bedroom, it's down an L-shaped hallway, and my wife and the mutt are snoozing quietly, and it's overcast here, so the bedroom is dark.
    My business, unlike your bench top operation, required machines weighing in at 4 tons down to 1-1/2 tons,

they all sit on a floor that is a foot thick of concrete and steel reinforcing rods.

The smallest floor based machine is a Bridgeport milling machine.

One of the three CNC mills is eight feet high, and cost $248,000.00,

a bit more than your sharpening rig.

I still go in and run them three days a week, and I am 10 years older than you.

Speaking of dark bedrooms, mine is blacked out, no light at all,

this is for migraine attacks.

However there are four flat screen monitors attached to CCTV cameras that

give me 360 degree observation outside even at night.

They are turned off during an attack.

You did mention that you were a bill collector,

that means you were on the road almost all the time.

When I worked for someone else while living in the big city,

home was no more than a mile and a half away.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-11-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    CCTV cameras...They are turned off during an attack.
    That surprised me. If I had full coverage cameras (mine face the 'blind' side of the house) I'd leave them running to document the circumstances.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I stretched it out to age 67 & 1/2. I was the boss at work, my boss was several hundred miles away and only came up a couple times a year.

I'd still be there today, EXCEPT our warehouse was in the ghetto of the Murder Capitol of Florida - Jacksonville.
    I carried a 357 magnum at work, the bad guys dumped dead bodies on our street, the vice squad would do prostitution busts in our parking lot. Sometimes I felt like I was back in Nam.
    Your making me homesick, sounds like a neighborhood I used to live in. Ahhhhh, the bad old times.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    That surprised me. If I had full coverage cameras (mine face the 'blind' side of the house) I'd leave them running to document the circumstances.
    I should have been more detailed, only the screens are shut off, the DVRs and the cameras are always on.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I should have been more detailed, only the screens are shut off, the DVRs and the cameras are always on.
    Ahhh, now I get it. I have lots of glass at my house, it's only the garage side that needs a camera. Sadly, just keeping one or five pistols in the bedroom is now not as safe as it used to be. We have pistols where we need them. Fortunately, (and because it's a more wealthy neighborhood) we have good police coverage. And thanks to more reasonable Wisconsin CCW privileges, there's always something on my belt.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Im just over 17 miles, I work quite near the freeway which gets me 12 miles of the way. Another 4-5 is state route with option of a bicycle path. From there I have maybe another mile of back road. Not a bad travel really. I have my glock 17 with three mags and I always keep my kel-tek sub2000 in the trunk with five 30 rounders loaded. At any time i have just over 200 rnds of 9mm with me and ready. If I anticipate being more then a two hour drive from home I bring my AR and rig as well..

I am retired, so no work. However I live 12 miles from town, where I might be, not too bad of a walk. I Live 35 miles from my camp in the "wilds". I think I could make that in 2 or 3 days cross country. ( I would stay away from the major roads) All of the kids know that when SHTF, that is where they will find me.

I’m retired now so no commute. But my last 15 working years were at a locomotive repair shop 50 miles from home. The shop had numerous propane fueled forklifts and tractors. These simple machines would be a useful vehicle in an emp event. No electronics so they should operate although the range on these types of vehicles is nowhere near 50 miles. Just something to consider. Golf carts should run and I would think some older farm tractors should run too.

Cool

18 miles -- crossing many bridges. I have a top box carried with ammo (for my carry & PCC - same caliber), change of clothes/shoes, my CERT bag/helmet, and a folding mountain bike...

In the car - my GHB, water, fire extinguisher, take-down PCC and other stuff

I don't want to have to do it, but I will!

Peace,
    Michael J.

I'm just under 3 miles away.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor - Personal Protection in the Home
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links