Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Ammo, how much would you lug around? What will you use?

8K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  bigwheel 
#1 ·
So I am sure this topic has been done to death, and it usually is. But how many magazines and rounds are you personally willing to carry in an event?

Wood Sculpture Art Font Landscape

Brown Wood Tool Handgun holster Gun accessory

These are some photos from my "gun" bag, which are packed with an AR and a G17 with all the rounds I have in it. They are all in magazines and I don't carry any spare boxes in it at all. What I posted is what I have in the bag.

Now the 5.56 comes in a few flavors in color coded PMAGS to keep it simple. But I run from left to right MK318 SOST, MK262, M855A1, and the regular green tips. The 9mm is mostly 115/124 grain JHP Critical defense/Sig.

I would normally only plan on carrying three PMAGs at a time and the standard three handgun magazines. That is it.

What are your personal views on what you are willing to carry and what you think is the basic minimum load out one should carry?

See less See more
#2 ·
So I am sure this topic has been done to death, and it usually is. But how many magazines and rounds are you personally willing to carry in an event?
What are your personal views on what you are willing to carry and what you think is the basic minimum load out one should carry?
In an event? You mean like a 2A rally?
Your slip is showing.

#3 ·
An event....An instance for whatever reason long guns become the norm. Breakdown in social order, the zombie or retard apoc etc etc. Not going to waste my free time at a rally, would rather actually go to my safe space at the range or some other place. You gotta stop eating the bowl of fail hun and adapt to slang that is used by the older snow flake crowd.

#4 ·
IMO it depends largely on the type of "event". In most low-threat situations, my main concern would be not having a bunch of mags and stuff hanging off me.

I think that would make you a target for people wanting your stuff.

Unfortunately I live in Illinois, so unless rule of law is lost I won't be carrying my rifle.

On a normal day when nothing is happening, I carry a HK P30 15+1 with a spare magazine.

I guess if I thought things were gonna get hairy I'd probably figure out a way to carry 3 or 4 more magazines concealed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I used to carry a SKS and about 100 rounds on stripper clips, but rent came due and I ended up selling it.

I'm looking at purchasing another long gun to either keep as a trunk gun or so I could keep my AK in my trunk.

I have had differing thoughts about carrying a long gun in my vehicle though. In IL it is legal as long as the weapon is unloaded, but I have had officers be dicks about other, completely legal gun stuff.

So far in my life(30), I have never had my car searched so I guess I wouldn't really have much to worry about.

#10 ·
I used to carry a SKS and about 100 rounds on stripper clips, but rent came due and I ended up selling it.

I'm looking at purchasing another long gun to either keep as a trunk gun or so I could keep my AK in my trunk.

I have had differing thoughts about carrying a long gun in my vehicle though. In IL it is legal as long as the weapon is unloaded, but I have had officers be dicks about other, completely legal gun stuff.

So far in my life(30), I have never had my car searched so I guess I wouldn't really have much to worry about.

Most people here, have vehicle weapons and LE is used to it. We are encouraged to carry and be able to fend for ourselves. Which blows the minds of many visitors.

#11 · (Edited)
I will play a bit.

Lets see, when on the PD tactical team, I carried a full auto M4, a 1911 and 10 mags for the M4 plus 4 for the 1911.

Situation dependent, a M14 sniper rifle with 4 mags and the 1911+2 spare mags.

Civilian status, local area, S&W 3913+2 spare mags, or Sig 228+2 spare mags. plus a S&W 642 as a companion to any other.

My big city with high threat level where I have to go, Sig 228+ 2, 20 round mags, 1911+4 spare mags.

The above is/was a normal action for me.

In a SHTF event, FA M4 + 6-10 mags plus one or another pistol or a 7.62 NATO rifle(M14 or FNFAL) and 4 mags.

Seeing a vehicle was added, both Cherokees have 100 rounds of each type of ammo carried plus mags.

Also there is a riot gun(Mod.12 and 870) and ammo locked up in each.

One thing most others here do not have to deal with is as a retired LEO,

I have to watch for people I sent to jail or prison years ago looking for revenge.

#15 ·
I guess if its all out marshal law?
I would suggest to whom it may concern 1 long gun(or pistol caliber carbine), 1 pistol and at least 200 rounds each.
I think a Ruger PC 9mm carbine and Ruger Security 9mm pistol would make a kick ass doomsday combo. Both use same mags and ammo.

#21 ·
Yes its a adapter that allows you to fire 22 long rifle in a 223 upper
How it work is you to take the bolt carrier group out of standard 223 upper then insert the adapter
The 22 long rifle adapter is blow back design and has its own mag so no worries about jamming
It cost around $150 I believe

#22 ·
Are we discussing a "pitched battle" where we cannot withdraw? It sounds like the infamous "Custer Decision."

Chuck Taylor suggested we divide our conduct into thirds. You know your ammunition count, so you use one third of it to stem the immediate attack, the second third to aid in a withdrawal, and the final third (hopefully never used) as emergency cover.

I talked to a local cop once who told me the average number of fired rounds for them was between two and four.

#25 ·
Kind of lost on this thread a bit. My daily CC I carry 1 mag the one in the weapon. It is personal defense not going to war. If I know I am going to a gun fight I am going to avoid it. No other option but be ready for a gun fight I am taking the rifle and what I can carry. Weight of ammo adds up fast . Put 210 rounds of 5.56 in mags Grab your AR step on the scale. Now put the weapon and ammo away and load your self with the same weight go for a walk.

#26 ·
Well, my wife and I worked long and hard, and prayed long and hard, to be able to move from the South Florida Hell Hole to our rural farm 25 years ago.
I'm not going anywhere. This is as good a place to die as any, and better than most.

Years ago, I did put together a "rig". A GI pistol belt for the M1 that has ten pockets, each holding one 8 round clip. On it hang two canteens, a bayonet, a USGI (repro) leather holster for my 45 Auto and a USGI pouch for two 45 mags.
In addition, if needed, I have two USGI cloth bandoleers with loaded clips. With one clip inserted in the rifle, this gives me 200 rounds.

If that is not enough to take care of any problem, my tactics suck for getting stuck in that situation.

And yes, I have other rifles - M1A, M1 Carbines (2), SKS, AKM, Mini 14, various Mausers and Mosin Nagants, lever action 30-30's, and more.
BUT, if my butt is on the line, I want my M1 Garand. It will never fail, it will put men on the ground with a single shot, and even when empty I can still kill you with it.
"What is the Spirit of the Bayonet?" To Kill, Drill Sergeant!!" "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" "TO KILL, DRILL SERGEANT!!!"

Remember - it is not the rifle that wins the battle. It is the Soldier holding that rifle.
Or, as it was put in the 1960's Army - My rifle and bayonet are only tools. I AM THE WEAPON.

#28 ·
Well, my wife and I worked long and hard, and prayed long and hard, to be able to move from the South Florida Hell Hole to our rural farm 25 years ago.
I'm not going anywhere. This is as good a place to die as any, and better than most.

Years ago, I did put together a "rig". A GI pistol belt for the M1 that has ten pockets, each holding one 8 round clip. On it hang two canteens, a bayonet, a USGI (repro) leather holster for my 45 Auto and a USGI pouch for two 45 mags.
In addition, if needed, I have two USGI cloth bandoleers with loaded clips. With one clip inserted in the rifle, this gives me 200 rounds.

If that is not enough to take care of any problem, my tactics suck for getting stuck in that situation.

And yes, I have other rifles - M1A, M1 Carbines (2), SKS, AKM, Mini 14, various Mausers and Mosin Nagants, lever action 30-30's, and more.
BUT, if my butt is on the line, I want my M1 Garand. It will never fail, it will put men on the ground with a single shot, and even when empty I can still kill you with it.
"What is the Spirit of the Bayonet?" To Kill, Drill Sergeant!!" "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" "TO KILL, DRILL SERGEANT!!!"

Remember - it is not the rifle that wins the battle. It is the Soldier holding that rifle.
Or, as it was put in the 1960's Army - My rifle and bayonet are only tools. I AM THE WEAPON.
I love the M1 Garand but damn it's heavy. That M1 carbine or Ruger Ranch rifle seem way more practical if you have to be mobile. If youre standing your ground, hell, use a Bophers gun.

#27 ·
Daily, a Smith Shield 9 with a spare mag. Both 8 rounders so 17 total minimum. At the farm? Same as what I'd load out with in a bad situation 180 in magazines and my loaded Saint Edge with 61. I doubt I'd bother carrying my HK variants or my AK. Too heavy. That Edge weighs next to nothing.

Reactions: Denton
#32 ·
I have learned that you carry at least 7 mags in any situation with an extra seven in a backpack, and a can of 2000 plus in a vehicle. if there are no canned resupplies available, we carry a double basic load of 15 mags, we choose to use Nato rounds but reserve the right to gather weapons , ammo, ordinance left after killing bad guys so that we can re-use their ammo and weapons. 2we are trained to used their weapons as effectively as we use our own.

#56 · (Edited)
On my person and or in my stuff I have at least 10 fully loaded mags and two repack kits. One in my ERV (Emergency Response Vest) and one on my war belt.

I have ERV's for different rifles (AK, AR, M1A) so I can grab it and my weapon and war belt and sustain myself for awhile. I do have to load my repack specific for the weapon being used in my war belt.

Let me tell you, you carry all this for an M1A and it's some weight and this is just ammo and some basic tools & IFAC, so get in shape and stay close to your ammo supply.

My ERV's are set up for defensive purposes, but they are also designed for assaulting if need be. I have other hard armor options but it adds a lot of weight.

Also I forgot, I carry 5 pistol mags. plus one in the gun, I try to also carry some extra ammo for it as well.

#59 ·
24 rounds for my S&W Shield and 60 rounds for my .223 rifle ( which stays in the truck). I plan on the shoot and scoot scenario, not a protracted gun battle. If it all goes to heck in a hand basket and I absolutely must leave the ranch for some reason, I’ll have enough to outfit a small platoon.

#61 ·
It's interesting to see what others feel is necessary. And that comment is not meant as a slight to anyone, it's just my own observation. I personally think that the level of a persons training has a lot to do with how/what they choose to/or not to carry, and they should use what they are comfortable with.

Now before the jetski accident at the lake, where I lost all my ammo and weapons.... I had something similar to what @ RedLion carries in my truck. Glock 19 instead of SA, and 5.56 instead of 7.62x39. That was my "get me the hell home" bag. Water, small 1st aid kit, some other odds & ends, plus 10 mags for the AR and 4 17 round Glock mags. A pair of Merrell moabs shoe's that are well broken in along with a plate carrier that is setup with mag pouches and whatnot. I also have an "advance to contact" bag that is at the house, but that is a whole different ballgame to what we are talking about here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.